Odd pickeroon pick?

Started by Dave Shepard, November 20, 2021, 07:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

A friend asked me to weld the pick on his pickeroon. I'd never seen a welded one before, mine is a single piece with a different shape. Was this an earlier design? I ground it out and welded it solid and ground it smooth so there are no stress points now.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

Mine are welded like that (have 2) I just got them.last year.
Too many irons in the fire

Tam-i-am

We made a design change back in 2017 to a welded style tip.  This allowed for the barbed tip that people seem to like better.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Dave Shepard

My pulp hooks have a barb, and they hold surprisingly well. I may have to reshape my hookaroon and see how that works, it's a bit blunt, and doesn't always stick.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Okrafarmer

Is there still anywhere to buy new pulp hooks? Wondering....
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Tam-i-am on November 22, 2021, 09:02:43 AM
We made a design change back in 2017 to a welded style tip.  This allowed for the barbed tip that people seem to like better.

Mine (3 ft) came a few weeks ago and I like it very nicely. It sticks in the wood with little effort. I use it mainly to reach across the sawmill and straighten out my offcut pile, or fetch a piece off it. I also use it for medium-duty prying. I use the peavey for heavy-duty prying. The hookeroon / pickeroon is so much lighter and handier than the peavey for that kind of thing.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Okrafarmer on January 21, 2024, 11:10:09 PM
Is there still anywhere to buy new pulp hooks? Wondering....

AFIK LogRite does not make pulp hooks unless they just added them. (I asked them a few years ago.) Not a lot of call for them these days. But Peavy Mfg. Co. up in Maine does.  They run about $35-45. They make pretty good tools and I have some of their stuff I got before I switched over to LogRite years back. I have a pair of Pulp hooks I use for mushroom logs, but they are so old that I have no idea who made them.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dave Shepard

I sometimes find the orange replaceable tip style at saw shops. Not sure who makes them. They are readily available online. Hate doing firewood without one.