iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry rotted fuel line

Started by staggerweed, March 06, 2010, 11:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staggerweed

I am looking for opinions about problems with a chain saw.  My son checked the saw after installing a pull rope (supposedly all it needed) and when it wouldn't start, he found that the fuel line is dry rotted and the filter (in the tank) is completely disintegrated.  Also, there were cob webs in the muffler.  The guy told him that the saw was running fine 3 days before he got it, and that the pull rope broke then.  My son told him everything that he found wrong with the saw and that he didn't see any way the saw was running, but the guy swears it was.  My son says if this is true, then the guy can turn water into wine.  Anyone else agree with him? 

Magicman

I don't believe that he can turn water into wine either.  Sounds like that guy either has a very vivid imagination, a very poor memory, or lies.

And BTW, Welcome to The Forestry Forum...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GlenM

Obviously, the guy was talking about a different saw.
(Don't worry, what comes around, goes around)

SwampDonkey

Sounds to me that saw set in the garage on the floor for years and never was used no 3 days before.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bl73

buyer beware, their are more dishonest people in this world than honest, as long as the saw he picked up has spark and good compression it's probably worth fixing, if not it's a lesson learned.

JohnG28

Welcome to the forum...I dont believe theres any way that saw was running recently.  Too bad the guy wont be straight with you, it would make it easier to determine what else might need to be checked or fixed.  Is it a good saw, other than the obvious?  Hope that you can get it running, good luck
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

staggerweed

The saw is a Stihl 064, which supposedly ran strong and was only missing the pull rope.  But, this was not true.  It has a rusted magneta, missing chain brake cover, and missing chain adjuster, along with the dry rotted fuel line and disintegrated fuel filter.  It would probably be worth fixing if he had time since he's only got $265 in it.  What do you think, worth fixing with all these problems? 

Rocky_J

$265 is way too much money for a non running 30+ year old piece of junk out of the discard pile in the back of the saw shop. There are thousands of other 30 year old saws you can pick up to rebuild for next to nothing. Ask your two biggest friends to go with you and return the junker for a full refund.

Then start over, looking for a rebuildable saw in the $25-$50 range. You will have plenty in it by the time you finish.

mrcaptainbob

I like that suggestion, RockyJ. But if the guy still won't budge, change out the fuel line and filter. It's pennies at this point and you may be able to get it running just fine. My older 031 never had a fuel line problem. The new 310 rotted the line in the first year of use! The replacement has lasted just fine, as Stihl offered new material for the fuel lines replacements.

staggerweed

Quote from: Rocky_J on March 07, 2010, 10:27:06 PM
$265 is way too much money for a non running 30+ year old piece of junk out of the discard pile in the back of the saw shop. There are thousands of other 30 year old saws you can pick up to rebuild for next to nothing. Ask your two biggest friends to go with you and return the junker for a full refund.

Then start over, looking for a rebuildable saw in the $25-$50 range. You will have plenty in it by the time you finish.

Thank you for your opinion.  I will pass the info along to my son.  He actually works on saws for other people during his spare time, which is very little.  We live in a small town and the Stihl dealer here is outrageous on repair costs, so everyone that knows he works on saws "drops by" to get him to take a look at their's. 

My family was in the sawmill & logging business for years, but Clinton signed the NAFTA deal and all the furniture factories went to China.  I worked at the mill, so I know a lot more about sawmill equipment than I do chainsaws, and am trying to help my son out when I can.  I am going to post a question he has about an older 288XP & see if you guys can help us out.  Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!