iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Newbie looking for another Mill

Started by kentmyers, February 08, 2014, 11:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentmyers

A year ago I bought my first mill to take care of some "blow down" we had in Northern Wisconsin.  I believe I have become addicted to sawdust.  I really enjoy working the mill.  I am interested in moving up to my next level of a hobby mill.  I am open to brands of mills.  One that I have seen for sale previously in this area (but didn't get it before someone else did) that seemed nice was a Norwood Lumbermate 2000.  I have two questions for this group.  What might be a good mill to move up to and where are good places to look for one?  I live in Minnesota and also have property in Wisconsin.  Thanks

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kentmyers.

Any and all of the manufacturers listed along the left margin as Forestry Forum Sponsors produce quality products.  I doubt that you would be dissatisfied with any of them.  After you get a sawmill you absolutely will need a Logrite cant hook or peavey.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kentmyers

I currently have a small KASCO mill.  The max log I can cut is about 12' and 21" diameter.  I would a mill to cut around 25"-30" diameter

kentmyers

Thanks Majicman.  I should have been a bit more specific that I was looking for a good used mill.  I need to get a bit more proficient before I make an investment in a new mill.

red oaks lumber

kentmyers
welcome , you must have property in grantsburg or siren area?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

kentmyers

That right.  We have about 5 acres outside of Webb Lake.  I lost nearly 250-300 trees.  Some large pine and oaks.  It was very sad, but I am really having a good time cleaning up the mess.

red oaks lumber

ya, that area got completly pummeled with wind. like my wife has always said, i would rather lose my house to wind than my trees.
good luck with your mill purchase and your timber cleanup!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DDobbs

You might look at the EZ Boardwalk Jr. new it is only $4200.

30" log 24" cut there is a link to the left

Nice little mill.

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

dboyt

The Norwood mills don't come up for sale often, and sell pretty quickly when they do.  I wouldn't throw out the idea of a new mill, either.  Used mills hold their price pretty well, if they're cared for, and a new one won't cost a lot more.  If you're planning on moving the mill much look at the trailer options.  What is your idea of a "hobby" mill?  What size logs?  How many bd ft per year?  Sounds like you've got a lot of salvage work ahead of you.  Any plans to take the next step past hobby?  A good, solid manual mill can still make you some money.  Be careful, it can be tricky work with lots of stress in the down trees.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

kentmyers.welcome to the forum. Getting addicted is easy sawing logs.
How are you getting the logs out of the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

kentmyers:
When cutting a tree free of its root ball please be very careful and do not have any children around as the rootball can flop back down very fast and crush little ones instantly.  Every tree can react differently.  The physics involved in such situations varies with soil types, tree species, topography, and many other variables.  Be Careful.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SawyerBrown

Welcome to the Forum, kentmyers. It's great to see you have taken the first step like many of us: "Yes, my name is (your name), and I am an addict ..."   ;)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

arnold113

Welcome to the forum and lots of luck with your cleanup work.
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Thank You Sponsors!