iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw....chaps or pants

Started by Mr Mom, June 15, 2006, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

Got the three wheeler going now it is time to cut firewood.
     Now that i can get to the point. It is time that i start getting some safety gear to protect myself. I have ear muffs right now but the damage is already,done ringing in the ears.
     I dont know what is gooder the pants or chaps?? I already have had two close calls with the saw.
     I will be ordering the tendon maker for baileys so i thought that i would get some leg protection.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

moosehunter

I want to make a coment about the use of the word "gooder", but am afraid you won't take my good natured ribbing the right way. So I won't say anything. ;D

I have Husky chaps, won't run my saw without them.

Let us know how the tenon maker works, I have been thinking of getting one.

Mike
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Mr Mom

mooserhunter   i dont use that word alot but thought that i would put it in for fun ;) ;) ;).

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

isawlogs

I dont know wich one would be gooder  ;D   Each have there advantages , I myself prefer the pants. Not that I wear them every time I havea saw in my hands , but when out in the bush they are on me . I find that the chaps get in the way when climbing in and out of the skidder , 

Alls I'm gonna saye is get one or the other and wear them while using your saw .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raphael

Depends on if you want to protect or show off your sexy tush.  :D :D

I just got the full wrap chaps... I was ordering a bull line from Wesspur and figured it was time for me as well.
I think the advantage of chaps is they are a little cooler to wear and quicker to get on and off which I hope will make me more likely to take the time and put them on.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Mr Mom

Raphael.............no sexy tush here just alot of padding to keep the bones form hurting.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Fletch

Hey Mr Mom, Chaps are cooler and easier to put on and take off. I`ve found with pants that I put em on in the morning and wind up wearing em all day. I get hot and sweaty and the pants get wreaked. Either way, wear em always.
cheers!
Fletch the ecosaw guy

Reddog

I like the chaps better. With my larger build I found the pants did not move as well. To binding, It is easier for me getting in and out of the skidder with the chaps. My.02. I agree with the others what ever you get wear em.

Mr Mom

I was leaning to the chaps for easy on and off.
     Now there is a bunch of diffrent safety standard what is the diffrent?? I know that the more the better but there all close in price.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Burlkraft

Get both and let us know which ya like better ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Engineer

Just make sure you wear pants under them chaps.    :o

stumpy

For my situation, chaps are gooder. I have a pair of Husky chaps and they have saved my leg twice. If I were cutting timber for a living, I think I'd wear pants and then they would be gooder.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

sprucebunny

I wear pants in the winter which is when I use a chainsaw the most. And chaps in summer.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

dancan

I have both and wear both , if your buying , the newer pants with kevlar and wrapped around the leg are a good choise ( kevlar is a little cooler in the heat ) .

Ed_K

I have both, The pants itch if I wear them in summer, so I wear them in the winter with longjohns and insulated coveralls. Get them a little larger than regular pants. I use chaps in summer, the problem with these is the straps will catch on brush. Just remember, if you need to move more than 2 steps put the chain brake on. I hear their real cool with thongs  ;D.
Ed K

UNCLEBUCK

I still cant understand that if all the chainsaw manufacturers and whoever else is in the logging safety business that promotes all the safety this and safety that , why in the heck cant any company make safety chaps and safety pants for big dudes ?  Do they think its ok for big dudes to go to the woods unprotected ?

When Cabelas was almost ready to go broke they use to sell clothes up to a size x-large until someone realized to sell nice thick lumberjack style shirts up to 5x and I was happy !

I am not happy one bit with these safety companies or some little fart sitting at the drawing board designing safety chaps and pants !

I want ! I need !  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

beenthere

Do you need bigger than 46" waist and 40" leg?   ???

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fat olde elf

kevlar chaps from Bailey's.....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Mr Mom

Fat olde elf.....yep...there are four different kinds and i see that they have different safety ratings or standers.
     One has a note that says that it meets BNQ/CUL Class B standards and UL approved. What does that mean??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

UNCLEBUCK

58 waist , 68 chest , lets call it a new size " super x tent"  :D

wiam

I have had two pair of Labonville chaps and one pair of Husky.  I think that the Labonville are gooder.

Will

UNCLEBUCK

I want a pair of chainsaw safety pants so bad I could just scream but even my husky dealers cant even make it up to my ankles . If anyone ever comes across any in big guy sizes please send me a message ok . Thanks

dancan

worst case , buy chaps and find a seamstress to modify & sew them and sew them to a pair of workpants that fit .

Hmmm ... designer chainsaw pants . I'm off to paris ! Lookout Calvin Klien . 8)

sprucebunny

Unclebuck, call Labonville in Gorham,N.H.. They make some of the stuff right there. Maybe they would make some custom chaps.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dale Hatfield

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on June 15, 2006, 11:03:15 PM
58 waist , 68 chest , lets call it a new size " super x tent"  :D

Call Gransfors Bruks
http://www.gransfors.us/swedepro.html
843-875-0240
Summerville SC.
They dont list that size. But When they were part of the Game Of Logging. They custom made my saw pants.

Dale Hatfield
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!