iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slow growth or Fast growth?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 01, 2014, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

say_what

Which ever.....it'll make good lumber.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 01, 2014, 08:07:25 PM
No tension in that log?

Not yet.  :D :D :D Laid it on the mill......started to saw it......changed my mine because of the heat and went home. Forestry work Tuesday......will saw it Wed.

beenthere

Looks to have some compression wood in there, but you will know for sure after it is sawn and dried.

A real thin slice of the end grain (1/8" thick) laid over a light will show any compression wood easily. Light won't pass through.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is very common with SYP and it will saw just fine.  As you are set up the flitch lumber might tend to crook, but the saw through lumber might bow, but it will not crook. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It is a bit off center.  Kinda like you  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

Yes, it is off center, and I would have positioned the "egg" a bit more parallel to the sawmill bed, but that growth pattern is normal for a tree that was crowded on one side, etc.

Looks like money to me. $$$

Notice that on all three logs the close rings are on the inside of the sweep which was turned to the loader side for the first face opening.  I have found that setting up that way saves much misery and produces the best lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!