iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straightening a Logrite

Started by kelLOGg, August 30, 2021, 09:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Here's some of mine...

#6 machine screws up to 1/4" in zinc and stainless.  A little metric on the upper right.

5/16" up to 3/4" in zinc and stainless (mostly stainless).  Then I have a set of metal drawers for the big stuff.  I don't have to visit the hardware store very often...

Speaking of brass - I took a bunch of metal from a garage sale freebie pile.  What I thought was a 3/4" plate aluminum with some brass blocks turned out to be stainless.  The brass blocks (2 piece setup) was some sort of water cooling for a laser.  The pairs were about the size of a small brick.  Three of those weighed about 30 pounds.  With that, I had 51 pounds of scrap brass (door handles and faucets) and the scrapyard gave me $100 for it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Now were talkin!  Roller bearings please. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Jeff, are you taking inventory?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

That jar container looks like something off of Wheel of Fortune😂
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

I'm pretty sure they had my little sister cause Dad needed more baby food jars for hardware ;D.

kelLOGg

Quote from: barbender on August 31, 2021, 07:20:54 PM
That jar container looks like something off of Wheel of Fortune😂
Vanna White built that for me. ;D
(How much longer can this go on? (It is fun)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Andries

Who cares about roller bearings?
Everybody's got those!
I wanna see the Higgs Boson! 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

kelLOGg

OK, first the roller bearings:

Now, Andries wanted to see the bosons. I took the lid off and, much to my surprise, all I saw was screws with threads I couldn't identify - I couldn't match them to English or metric. Very odd, I thought. How did they get there?  Then. I thought, maybe we're looking at the decay products of the Higgs boson. Wow! maybe a career in high energy physics awaits me - naw - I'm sticking with sawmilling, but I will contact CERN about this observation.  ;D

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

metalspinner

Parts bins and drawers o' crap have always intrigued me. I love opening a drawer to discover what might be inside. 
But then this usually leads to hours of organizing and reorganizing. Of course, I then have to remember the new spot I put the stuff!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

I also have an affinity to household junk drawers. Treasure troves!

Old Greenhorn

Well it doesn't matter how nicely you ask, I am not showing you what's in my drawers. :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

samandothers

Quote from: Magicman on August 31, 2021, 07:54:42 AM
Looks like you are a bit screwy but mostly nuts.  thumbs-up   :D
At least his screws aren't loose like mine!
My dad had a rolling holder similar to yours using glass baby food jars. It hung up in between the floor joists in the basement to hold small items. 

Jeff

handhewn

An old, very handy old man once showed me something that has worked very well for me whenever I need to bend anything, particularly anything hollow/tubular. If you can slip a spring over it at the bend spot, it is far less likely to kink. The tighter the spring the better. That Logrite is a little on the large dia. size but something like a garage door or motorcycle suspension spring would work. This does work surprisingly well in many applications.

Sixacresand

I rolled a big log off a flat bed truck and it fell across my logrite.  It still works but is bent.  I always worry about a dog or cat or unattentive human lurking about during log unloading.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

KirkD

Quote from: handhewn on September 01, 2021, 11:39:47 AM
An old, very handy old man once showed me something that has worked very well for me whenever I need to bend anything, particularly anything hollow/tubular. If you can slip a spring over it at the bend spot, it is far less likely to kink. The tighter the spring the better. That Logrite is a little on the large dia. size but something like a garage door or motorcycle suspension spring would work. This does work surprisingly well in many applications.
Packing the inside with sand will work to.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

metalspinner

Traditionally, brass instrument tubing and bells (like trumpets and tubas) are filled with pitch and allowed to cool. Then they are bent around a form. The pitch is then melted back out. This allows for a perfect bend with no deformation in the material.

The new-school way is to fill the tubing with a soapy water solution then freeze it. After the bend, the parts are just hung over a tub to collect the defrosting water.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!