iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Tamarack (Larch)

Started by Gord From Emsdale ON, April 03, 2005, 09:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gord From Emsdale ON

I'm building a shed, 12x20, I was going to saw up some Tamarack to use on the floor. Would this be ok for the 3/4" floor boards or should I use something else?

Thanks for the help, this is a great forum.

..Gord

Minnesota_boy

I sawed up some tamarack for a customer who then used it for kitchen cabinets and a floor for the dining room.  A bit difficult to work with as it tends to warp more than some woods, but it is harder than pine and what a gorgeous floor it made.  I'd probably use some junk wood like oak for the shed floor and put the tamarack in the house.  :D ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Quebecnewf

You will need to air dry the larch before nailing it down. It warps a lot so lots of weight on top of the pile. A month or so air drying will give you a lot better floor. You may have to straight line rip the boards after they are air dried.

Paul

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

That larch would make a pretty floor  :)   All of the larch that I've cut has also warped much more than other woods.  That stuff really gums up the blades on the mill and all of the tools that even look at it  ;)

iain

I saw a good bit of larch for flooring, either straight into the kiln or air dry, smells good but can be brittle on the tongue side, it will last a good time as your floor, saw 1" and you will get a good long lasting floor, i'll try to take pics tomorrow, washing up liquid in the lube water is good or windscreen wash

iain

Gord From Emsdale ON

Thanks guys, I will us this larch for the shed floor, I was going to cut is at 3/4 and put it down green. After it dries, I'll nail some plywood over top. I don't have any time to wait for it to dry a bit now, pretty soon I'll be to busy at work to play with the mill.

iain

here you go on the larch flooring, it took a while to photo as the painter went in WITH OUT dust sheets  >:(  just sanded and rewaxed it ::)

Gord From Emsdale ON

Thanks Iain, that looks great, Maybe I'll save the Larch for the kitchen. :)

Thank You Sponsors!