iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strawberries in blue plastic barrels

Started by Dan_Shade, February 18, 2018, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Has anyone tried this, is it worth the effort?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Must be a youtube on it.  :D
Are you thinking about drilling a bunch of holes and planting them on the sides?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Dan_Shade

Does it actually work, or after a year or so will I have a barrel full of dirt?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

caveman

Until a few years ago around here, a lot of small blueberry producers were growing the plants in 1/2 blue drums planted mainly in pine bark.  They were irrigating each plant individually with microjets.  One fellow I know cleared over $25000 in a season on a one acre farm, all plants under nets, before so many were growing them. Now, there are larger commercial producers, some with over 600 acres of blueberry plants and they plant them in the ground and add pine bark.
Caveman

caveman

Some how I saw berries in blue barrels and read blueberries instead of strawberries.  Please disregard my post. I would delete it but that is frowned on. 

Strawberries should grow in a drum too.  We potted a bunch of strawberry plants up in hanging baskets a few years ago and sold them as an FFA fundraiser.
Caveman

thecfarm

Yes,we did the strawberry in a hanging basket too. I would turn the hanger so the ripe strawberry could be seen by a cusomer,it would be sold in no time. I had to hang a sign that read,you pick the berry,you buy the plant.
If I was going to to the blue barrel,get that up in the air about 3 feet so I would not have to bend over to pick them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Sounds like it would make sense to have them on a lazy Susan type affair as well.

PA_Walnut

Depending on your available space and goals, it's a good way to contain them. Strawberries creep and get crazy once established. Was funny to see my wife actually MOWING them!!  :D :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Hilltop366

Growing in containers looks neat, probably the worst part about it would be all the whipper snipping.

I was told about someone growing strawberries in potting soil bags, the bags were set flat in a raised table and holes cut for plants, they were using day neutral berries and replanted in new soil every year.

maple flats

Quote from: Jeff on February 19, 2018, 11:09:06 AM
Sounds like it would make sense to have them on a lazy Susan type affair as well.
Jeff, it sounds like you want to take all of the work out of gardening. Just raising them up 3' would make me happy, I used to reach the ground easier, all I can figure is that I must be getting taller in my old age.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: maple flats on March 17, 2018, 01:59:35 PM
Jeff, it sounds like you want to take all of the work out of gardening. Just raising them up 3' would make me happy, I used to reach the ground easier, all I can figure is that I must be getting taller in my old age.
We need @Kbeitz in here to automate it.  I'd say a lazy susan 3' up off the ground with a motor powered by a solar panel.  Then it would rotate giving the plants on all sides a dose of full sun and a break from the heat multiple times a day. ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

I've done this with tomato plants. My only advise is to add baby diapers in your dirt. If you don't and miss a day putting water to them they will die. I put pepper plants in the top.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

Quote from: maple flats on March 17, 2018, 01:59:35 PM
The sun is the reason I thought of a lazy susan.  Not sure how you could get the sun to rotate towards the otherside of the barrels. ;)

Hilltop366

Jeff

Hmm!  Maybe not a mirror, but a silvery reflective surface.

Hilltop366

LeeB

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 17, 2018, 02:42:54 PM
I've done this with tomato plants. My only advise is to add baby diapers in your dirt. If you don't and miss a day putting water to them they will die. I put pepper plants in the top.

New or second hand? recycling and fertilizing in one step. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Not going to even think MMM! Tomatoes!  now.

Kbeitz

Quote from: LeeB on March 22, 2018, 07:32:16 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 17, 2018, 02:42:54 PM

New or second hand? recycling and fertilizing in one step.
New without the plastic.  The stuffing inside holds water really good. Keeps thing from drying out.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

My daughter buys the "water gels" and you mix in a few of the granules into the potting mix.  She will also dump some in a 2 liter soda bottle and put a small hole in the lid.  Fill with water and invert into the soil of a plant.  In the heat here, it helps keep the plants good for a couple days.  Not so sure what the benefit of the gels are in the bottles, tho.

But, her way of thinking is a little is good, a lot is better. :-\  I don't know how much she put in but when the rains came, the dirt (the gels) expanded and there was a column of dirt about 2" above the top of the pots!  What a mess :-X
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

maple flats

While we don't have strawberries in barrels, my wife got tired of mowing the front lawn. 2-3 years ago she started growing strawberries and veggies along side the driveways. We live in a nice residential neighborhood in one side of a duplex, we rent out the other side. Each side has about a 60' blacktop driveway. My wife has a full length row of strawberries along each driveway. One side is June bearers the other is day neutral berries. Last year she got 225 pints off those plants, about 30% off the June bearers and the rest off the day neutral berries.
When my wife was first going to plant the front yard, our 2 grown daughters argued against the plan, but you'd be surprised just how many passers by stop and make nice comments. I don't think we ever got a bad comment on them. In addition, she had 1 tomato plant that grew to about 10' across and yielded several bushels of tomatoes. She also had a group of about 6-8 frying pepper plants that also yielded a whole bunch of peppers. While we gave some of the strawberries away, we ate lots and froze a whole bunch more. We also gave the local food pantry 3-4 bushel of tomatoes and almost that many peppers last year.
Looking this year, the side with the June bearers is loaded about a ft. in from the blacktop with blossoms and the day neutral ones have lots of blossoms but not like the June bearers at the edge of the blacktop. The June bearers are on the north side of an east west driveway, so the sun reflects heat off the driveway and coaxes the heavy production.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mometal77

Strawberry, Mara Des Bois are the best I think. Also look into Tayberry. Cross from a Raspberry/Blackberry.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Sod saw

Reviving this older thread:  I wonder if the recent posts in other areas of this forum about Bio Char would help with the concerns here with watering and keeping the dirt moist.

What do you all think?   Any experiences with Bio Char mixed in pots for berries?

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Thank You Sponsors!