iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Historic timber frame gathering in Maine

Started by Housewright, November 25, 2007, 03:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Housewright

Here is a message for all Mainers and anyone else interested in Maine framing or history. I am starting a group in Maine to discuss and study the types of historic framing around Maine. The first meeting is all day Saturday January 26 at a location to be determined. If you are interested in attending please call me at (207) 832-0635.

The topics will be primarily about timber framing but all traditional forms of construction will be included.

There are many variations in how buildings are framed throughout Maine and throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. I feel these structural aspects of historic buildings have been largely overlooked. There is widespread interest in the subject from the people I have called to invite. Please join us!

If you know of any historic log structures or stone barns in Maine please let me know where they are. Do you know of any hop barns or tobacco barns in Maine? How about an intact threshing floor? Do five sided ridge beams occure in your area? How about passing braces. Are all of your braces pinned? Any oak frames? Interrupted sills? These are just a few of the questions being investigated.

Jim Derby
Waldoboro, Maine

maineframer

Jim,

That sounds like a great time of learning and sharing knowledge. You can count me in. I have seen alot of barns in our area  (central Maine and mid-coast ) and have gleaned much from repairing and just being in these barns and homes. I believe there are definitely different  framing styles (primarily roof) based on region and were largely influenced by the nationality of the original settlers and skills passed down from them to thier helpers and next generation of framers. Let me know if I can help.

David Frankenfield
David

Housewright

The meeting is coming up on Saturday, January 26. There has been a better than expected response so the location has been changed from Richmond to AugustaCity Hall from 9am to 5pm. There will be several speakers and audiance participation is strongly encouraged. Email me for directions.

Jim Derby
jim_derby@verizon.net

Moderator note: ( I edited the above email address so that it is correctly posted now).

Jim_Rogers

I will be attending this meeting to learn about historic timber framing in Maine.

As a side note, I'll be bringing the tools we have for sale, to show and sell out of the back of my truck after the meeting in the parking lot....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!