iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

debarker interfere with blade change?

Started by 47sawdust, March 03, 2014, 06:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I might add a debarKer to my Lt 30 this summer.How does it affect the ease of blade change?
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I use a piece of sticker Pine about 8 inches long and prop up my debarker during a blade change. You can see it above the debarker just under the chrome colored springs. This method is quick and gives me plenty of room.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

That does help quite a bit.

(David, there seems to be something wrong with your r key.  It keeps substituting a d.) ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 03, 2014, 06:31:38 PM
That does help quite a bit.

(David, there seems to be something wrong with your r key.  It keeps substituting a d.) ;D

I see it now Paul  :D. Every time I type debarker, it changes it to debarked.....if I'm not watching.
DanGed ole 'puter.  Thanks, I changed it.

Dave Shepard

I have an '08 LT40 with the debarker. I don't seem to have too much trouble changing blades with it on. I usually manually swing it to the middle before I take the covers off. Keep in mind, with a debarker, you won't be changing blades nearly as often, so you will only be aggravated about half as often. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 03, 2014, 06:40:47 PM
Keep in mind, with a debarker, you won't be changing blades nearly as often, so you will only be aggravated about half as often. :D

:D :D :D Good one Dave!  :D :D :D

drobertson

Not sure on retro fits, I just swing mine in, and  close the band by hand, a little bounce, and flop it in.  No issues, and quite quick.  No real issues like muck, rocks and such that logs give.  I say put it on.      david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

I put mine 1/2 way and the arm all the way out and I'm fine ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I have never seen where the Debarker causes any interference with blade removal or replacement.  I hold the blade between my fingers like a bow tie until it reached the bandwheels.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 03, 2014, 08:24:22 PM
I have never seen where the Debarker causes any interference with blade removal or replacement.  I hold the blade between my fingers like a bow tie until it reached the bandwheels.

You and I think alike  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 03, 2014, 08:42:44 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 03, 2014, 08:24:22 PM

You and I think alike  ;D

There's a law against that....I think.

terrifictimbersllc

It's a bit in the way but never wished it wasn't there .
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I was thinking along the lines that maybe you were half Redneck.   8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

LeeB

nothing wrong with being redneck.  8)  8)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

I do blade changes like Lynn and Peter, just grab the blade in the middle bringing the two sides together, and take it in my right hand, pull the debarker to the rear with my left hand and bring the blade in behind the debarker and then let the debarker go, and install the blade on the bandwheels!

So simple I don't even give it any thought anymore!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

47sawdust

Thanks for all the feedback.Your collective experience is always helpful.Doesn't seem to be an issue with the blade change.

Best regards,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bibbyman

I have placed a wooden wedge in the "armpit" where it hinges at the top.  But since Mary and I saw together most of the time we usually double up on replacing a blade.  She is often on the drive side and I pinch and pass the blade behind the debarker like everyone else. 

One tip that also helps is to run the head all the way to the end of the mill.  This way you have no framework to work over and around.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

One time the debarker is in the way is when the blade comes off, or breaks, and one wants to back up the head while leaving the blade in the kerf.  Then a helper comes in handy to lift the debarker aside to clear the blade while the sawyer backs up the head.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

I prop the debarker out of the way which works for me.
What doesn't work so well is when I forget to return the debarker to th correct position.
I,m sure nobody else has done this.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 04, 2014, 09:00:35 AM
I prop the debarker out of the way which works for me.
What doesn't work so well is when I forget to return the debarker to th correct position.
I,m sure nobody else has done this.

Nobody here Pete.  ::) ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!