iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting tenons

Started by D._Frederick, March 14, 2009, 01:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I am working on a set of nested tables that I need to cut about 40 tenions on the ends of the rails. I have a Delta Tenion jig that I use to cut the faces of the tenion, but wonder how you guy's form the ends?
I watch Norm A. use a miter gage to nibble away the waste with the table saw, I most offen use the band saw. I guess that a person could use a back saw and chisels. What do you use?

fbelknap

I use the bandsaw as it is easier, before I got a BS I did like Norm and nibbled them off with the table saw.

pigman

I have cut tenons several ways and thay all seem to be the wrong size. :( I sometimes just cut the whole tenon with a dado blade on the table saw. Sometimes I use my tenoning jig and band saw. Sometimes I use the table saw to nibble away.  No matter how I cut the tenons, they are usually too large and I have to throw the rail away. ;) ;D  The other question is how do you cut the mortice?  I have a Delta morticing machine that I use most of the time, but I also use my plunge router with a jig sometimes.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

D._Frederick

Pigman,

I have PM post drill that I have a mortice attactment that I use to cut the mortices with. It works real well, but takes time to set up and ties up the drill. I have thought about buying a table top mortice when they first came out, but now they are close to $300. Guess now that I am locked in.

Burlkraft

I'm feelin' yer pain Bob  :-\  :-\

I did it with my dado blade for a long time.
I made the investment in a Leigh M/T jig about 4 years ago. I wouldn't
trade it for anything...well....... almost anything  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

srt

TheWoodsman

Here are some alternatives.

Route mortises into both the rails and stiles and then use the loose tenon system (made in your shop to any size you need) or . . .

Use the beadlock system:  http://www.beadlock.com/

. . . or use a Festool Domino:  http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=28038
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Don_Papenburg

Loose tennons?  I thought that that belongs in another post "building Mistakes "
Do you mean that people make them on perpous  and not to fix a screwup?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dan_Shade

loose tenons are a term for both of the peices having a mortise in them, then a "loose" piece of material that slips into both of them to stiffen up the joint.   Kind of like a big biscuit, but different :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

D._Frederick

A Festool is not on my wish list. I can thing of a lot of other tools I can buy with $700.

oldsaw

Yep, dado blade on table saw, cut them a tiny bit fat and plane them down to fit.  I've had them work out perfectly with just the dado, but just not very often, and they tend to be a bit rougher than I like.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!