iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much for walnut logs?

Started by Don K, March 24, 2006, 09:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

A friend of my father has some fairly decent walnut trees that he wants to get cut if he can get a price per thousand. They have grown as volunteer trees from squirrels, etc. They are not a common tree here in Alabama except around old house places. I feel these are fairly safe because they are growing in the woods. If some one could tell me what a fair price in your area is, I would like to try to get a couple from him to saw for some furniture.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Daren

Quote from: Don K on March 24, 2006, 09:38:29 PM
he wants to get cut

There are many factors in buying timber. Stump price is less than 50%  around here of delivered to the mill. Add how much you want them, subtract how bad he wants to sell them, then subtract how much labor it is to get them down and to the mill. I have NO idea what the prices in your neck of the woods are but the stumpage here is $300-$700 thousand bft. That is butt logs on the truck and tops and all the rest of the mess left on site. If you have the means, don't leave a mess. If you only break even on the firewood from the limbs and tops it is worth the effort. For you, him, people looking for firewood and it is just good for mother nature and good business.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Warren

Don,

As Daren mentioned, there are many factors.  But if I were doing all of the work, I would not offer more than $500 / MBF on the stump.  It might be worth while to ask if he needs anything sawn for the farm, barn siding, fencing, or firewood.  Personally, I generally try to work out a trade rather than pay cash....

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!