iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Touch Down

Started by Sedgehammer, March 04, 2021, 06:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Was bidding on big iron for a used 1600 Ellis saw in NE. It went for $3,100. So I bought a new one for $2,999...... 8)

Necessity is the engine of drive

Walnut Beast

Looks pretty nice 👍 

Walnut Beast

That will be really nice!

Sedgehammer

Had one before. Lost it in the fire. Yeah, they are nice. 

hedgerow

Ellis makes nice band saws. Its funny how a lot of time on auctions that a nice tool will bring way more than a new one will run. I went threw that years ago when I bought my mig welder. The nice ones would bring new price on a auction. I did like you and just bought a new one. Got tired of waiting for a bargain. 

scsmith42

Ellis makes great saws. I've had an 1800 for around 15 years. It has the kit to convert it to horizontal operation, and it's nice to be able to switch between the two.

Good score!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mike_belben

People are crazy.  I never ever go to auctions.  It is much much better to be the only buyer when there are 5 sellers then to be pitted against 5 other buyers when only one seller. 

Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

That's not the saw i bought, but mine is coming. Prolly next week.

I think part of the reason it went higher is they are hard to find right now. Typical lead time is 6 to 8 weeks. I just scoured the interwebs to find one that was in stock.

Agreed on auctions, one needs to watch ones self. 

sawguy21

Auctions are fun, I miss them! I have missed out on items I wanted because the bidding exceeded my limit but have also scored some real deals. I bought a non working disc/belt sander for $15, they didn't know how to adjust the tracking.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Crusarius

man would I love to have one of those. is that metal cutting? or is it supposed to be for wood?

Dave Shepard

They are metal cutting bandsaws. I know a bunch of people that have them. Very nice machines.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crusarius

yea, I just have a cheap harbor freight one. But I can't argue its at least 20 years old still on all the original parts. it has cut alot of metal.

Would love to have something with more than a 4" throat

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Crusarius on March 05, 2021, 06:27:21 PM
yea, I just have a cheap harbor freight one. But I can't argue its at least 20 years old still on all the original parts. it has cut alot of metal.

Would love to have something with more than a 4" throat
If one is not cutting any angles, a straight cut machine is plenty good, but if one cuts a lot of angles, that adjusting the angle on the saw over and back and then moving the end of the material vs the saw head.......

Had an old Carolina here that the transmission locked up. It was HF before there was HF. I had to cut angles with a angle grinder. So since that locked up I decided to upgrade.

Crusarius

I have toyed with the idea of cannibalizing the HF one and making it so I can cut a full 6" square at a 45. Just haven't been ambitious enough to tear into it.

Maybe after the experience of build the band sawmill now I should build a better steel cutting horizontal band saw? :)

Thank You Sponsors!