iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I've said it for years.

Started by customsawyer, June 21, 2020, 07:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I've said for years that fresh cypress cuts so easy you could cut it with the blade on backwards. Well last week I opened a new box of blades and noticed the 4th blade out of the box was backwards. Didn't think much about it. While I was driving the skidsteer I asked my hired man to change the blade. In his defense he's only changed about 4 or 5 so far. Well you know which blade he put on and I just went back to the controls and set up for my next cut. It worked but didn't sound the same. Here is a pic of the blade and the cut.

Y'all say that without pics it didn't happen, so here you are. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

This is a new technique that I have not tried.  Wonder if it will work with pecan?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

I should have tried it on the liveoak we sawed Friday.  Jake's cut is much straighter than mine with a new blade going the right direction.  

That's a good looking cypress log.  A whack of those will make a man happy.
Caveman

customsawyer

Quote from: WDH on June 21, 2020, 07:49:27 AM
This is a new technique that I have not tried.  Wonder if it will work with pecan?

You go ahead and try it. Let me know how it works.

Quote from: caveman on June 21, 2020, 07:53:41 AM
I should have tried it on the liveoak we sawed Friday.  Jake's cut is much straighter than mine with a new blade going the right direction.  

That's a good looking cypress log.  A whack of those will make a man happy.

The customer sent 5 semi loads that were loaded a little heavy. He had me cut them all at 1" when I would have rather cut at the standard 4/4 1.125". I ended up cutting a little over 35,000 bf out of those 5 loads.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

Nebraska

Technique doesn't work on Elm, btdt. ;)

caveman

This straying a bit from the backwards blade.
Jake,
Does your dust chute clog while cutting cypress even with your high hp dust blower?  Does your mill still have the fingers in the dust chute?  That is about the only negative I can think of to sawing cypress is that it will clog the dust chute if it is not cleared frequently.
Caveman

Southside

Just to add to the research data that same technique does not work with White Oak either....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I had a "backwards" blade a couple of weeks ago, but it was a dull one.  I noticed when Luke coiled the blade he made a miscue, recovered, and than coiled the blade.  He then handed it to me to put in the truck and I immediately felt that something was wrong.  It took me a bit to figure out that his "miscue" had reversed the blade.  smiley_headscratch  So far I have never tried to saw with one.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Frost toothed bands only work in frozen logs 
Teeth in
Ask my hired man  :D
They come new inverted
I have to remind him to flip them .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

So if you cut with it backward until it finally gets dull, can you then turn it around and keep cutting?  Twice the life before having to sharpen.  Nice.  

But then you'd have to buy a backwards CBN wheel to resharpen them.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dave Shepard

I've only had someone put a band on my mill one time. Taking it out of a flat pack box he managed to get it turned inside out. It cut pine, but not very well. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Quote from: caveman on June 21, 2020, 09:13:18 AM

This straying a bit from the backwards blade.
Jake,
Does your dust chute clog while cutting cypress even with your high hp dust blower?  Does your mill still have the fingers in the dust chute?  That is about the only negative I can think of to sawing cypress is that it will clog the dust chute if it is not cleared frequently.

Yes my fingers have been removed. Yes the cypress will clog up every part of the dust collection system. The sawdust is just to wet and sticks to everything. I had to blow it on the ground and shovel into my
Quote from: YellowHammer on June 21, 2020, 10:59:31 AM
Quote from: dgdrls on June 21, 2020, 08:02:47 AM
That log is a smasher!!

The pic is a little miss leading. That log was only about 12" dia. on the small end.

YH I only tried the one pass. It made it but she was a bit on the wavy side.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 21, 2020, 10:59:31 AM
So if you cut with it backward until it finally gets dull, can you then turn it around and keep cutting?  Twice the life before having to sharpen.  Nice.  

But then you'd have to buy a backwards CBN wheel to resharpen them.  
Couldn't you just put the CBN wheel on backwards also? :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Actually wouldn't it automatically be sharpening it the whole time?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Cypress is probably like grits. You wouldn't need any teeth to eat them.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

EOTE

Backward blades don't work in SYP.  >:(

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

barbender

I can confirm that backwards blades make blue smoke on white oak😁
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!