iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills 10' Woodlander with 6' extension

Started by odiez, April 15, 2021, 01:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odiez

Has anyone tried adding the 6' extension onto a 10' Woodlander? The 16' Woodlander is out of my price range and the 10' trailer would be easier navigating through the woodlot. The extension would only be used as needed, so it wouldn't be mounted permanently. Just wondering if anyone has tried this setup and how feasible it would be.

RAYAR

First of all, welcome to the forum, odiez. 10', that seems kind of short to begin with, couldn't be more than about a 7' cut length, or is that a 10' cut length?
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

odiez

Quote from: RAYAR on April 15, 2021, 02:19:27 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum, odiez. 10', that seems kind of short to begin with, couldn't be more than about a 7' cut length, or is that a 10' cut length?
It's 10' 5" cut length, mounted on a trailer. I'd like to add the 6' 6" extension to it while it's mounted to the trailer.

mtoo747

I have that same mill and was going to do the same thing....build it to the 10' length and add the 6' extension later but found that i would have to rebuild too much of it. The mill extension goes on the end and the trailer extension goes in the middle. Support jacks locate differently for the 10' and 16'. I think the axle location may be different also. I know the balance point for towing is different also. Better to just build it once and be done.  

odiez

Quote from: mtoo747 on April 15, 2021, 08:53:13 PM
I have that same mill and was going to do the same thing....build it to the 10' length and add the 6' extension later but found that i would have to rebuild too much of it. The mill extension goes on the end and the trailer extension goes in the middle. Support jacks locate differently for the 10' and 16'. I think the axle location may be different also. I know the balance point for towing is different also. Better to just build it once and be done.  
What I'm looking to do is tow the mill to where I need it on my woodlot and set it up with the extension. The extension would be bolted to the end of the mill and supported with an assembly and with jacks. The extension will come back off when I'm done milling and be hauled in the truck bed. I'll figure it out when I get the mill and trailer.

dogbo2013

I understand that you want the maneuverability of a shorter trailer, but I don't think it would be as easy as you are thinking to simply add the extension when needed. I have the WM HM 130 Woodlander with the 16' bed. It took two days to assemble. Aligning the frame/rail sections and making sure all is straight takes time and patience. It would be a daunting task to unbolt the trailer and add the extension each time you needed it. I would advise against would you are proposing and just spend the extra money upfront for the longer mill. You will be much happier in the long run. Once you start cutting some of the trees on your lot, it should free up more space to navigate the mill
GMB

justallan1

Take a look at the EZ Boardwalk Jr.
I'd actually ordered mine without tracks, planning to just build them myself, there was a mistake and they accidently sent them anyhow. They had done a special order and cut the tracks down short and provided the extension. Using my 4-wheeler I can turn it around inside my shop.
I later built another extension for it and because it's all made from common easy to find material, the extensions are a simple add on.
One suggestion with whatever you get is to drop it off the trailer package and get it plumb on some skids....especially if you are adding an extension.
Hope this helps some.

odiez

Quote from: justallan1 on April 19, 2021, 02:49:10 PM
Take a look at the EZ Boardwalk Jr.
I'd actually ordered mine without tracks, planning to just build them myself, there was a mistake and they accidently sent them anyhow. They had done a special order and cut the tracks down short and provided the extension. Using my 4-wheeler I can turn it around inside my shop.
I later built another extension for it and because it's all made from common easy to find material, the extensions are a simple add on.
One suggestion with whatever you get is to drop it off the trailer package and get it plumb on some skids....especially if you are adding an extension.
Hope this helps some.
I have the 10' 5" HM126 Woodlander with 6' extension on order. I'd really like to use the extension with the mill on the trailer. Frontier sawmills sells a trailer sub frame extension with jacks to support their 7' mill extension on the trailer. I've been wondering if anyone has fabricated the same setup for the Woodlander. I could also set it up on the ground but I'd like to keep it mobile if I can.

RAYAR

There's no reason why you couldn't maybe hinge the extension and add the support jacks (stands) to level it all up when set up.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

odiez

Quote from: RAYAR on April 20, 2021, 03:26:42 AM
There's no reason why you couldn't maybe hinge the extension and add the support jacks (stands) to level it all up when set up.
A hinged extension would be awesome. They do have a smaller mill on a trailer that folds using a foldable bunk. 

Thank You Sponsors!