iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm outta here!

Started by CCC4, August 10, 2014, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I am leaving in the morning to explore a possible new chapter in my life....maybe just have a Helluva vacation....which ever comes first. I am leaving for the PNW and will arrive at SFO around 5:30 pm. I am staying near some members from another forum. I am going to checking on the possibilities of Falling jobs in N. Cali and just checking the scene out in general. I have been wanting this for a couple years now, one thing about it, it's better to show up in person and go to talking to bullbucks in the area.

I have plans on meeting some of the "Greats" while out there...one of these Men is on this forum and he is a very well respected logger...and I am going to meet him! Also, I will be traveling up near the Oregon border and meeting an OG legend...he's a hard ass but I have tons of respect for him also.

I have no idea really what to expect from this trip other than it will be whatever I make it I reckon. I can only imagine chasing tail of the evenings while there...what single guy wouldn't right??!! LOL!

I'm sure I will take tons of pics and maybe even get a saw stuck in my hands and fall a Redwood while I'm there and get it on video. I'm really excited and greatful for this opportunity and hope I get to answer some of my own questions as to what direction in logging I will be taking.

Thanks for reading...this stuff doesn't happen too often for a backwoods knuckle dragger...I just wanted to let you guys know. Thanks

chester_tree _farmah

Good luck old boy! Sounds like an adventure no matter what. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

jwilly3879

mad murdock

Sounds like some fun ahead!! If there is not work down there, there may be logging contractors up here in NW Ore that will have openings.  Problem right now is fire season. Won't be a lot going on till the end of September or early October when fire season is declared "ended".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thenorthman

Bring a rain coat!

And if you find yourself alone in Portland... There are "plenty" of things to keep you occupied...

Also if you make it up this far north, 1st beer is on me.
well that didn't work

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luvmexfood

Sounds like a good plan. If you do any of that tail chasing in the SFO area make sure what your getting. :o
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

treeslayer2003

redprospector

Life is a series of starting over, enjoy the ride.
When chasing tail...you never know what you'll catch.  :o  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

clww

Hope you have a productive trip and good luck. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BargeMonkey

Have a good trip. Remember, hands and adams apples. Be careful, the west coast isnt called the "land of fruits and nuts" for any reason.  8)

goose63

Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 11, 2014, 06:45:03 AM
Have a good trip. Remember, hands and adams apples. Be careful, the west coast isnt called the "land of fruits and nuts" for any reason.  8)
More nuts than fruits  :D at your age go for it might turn out to be a good thing good luck to ya
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Corley5

Sounds like a real adventure  8) 8)  Have a good time and be safe  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodboogah

Good luck and have a great trip!!  Look forward to the pictures and hopefully a video with some wood on the ground!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

CCC4

Thank you for all the well wishes! I just got through TSA screening and being that I am 2 hours early...I guess I will get all hopped up on Starbucks! LOL!

Thanks again!

Leigh Family Farm

Go to John Muir Woods. Its a great national park to visit. Also when you are drivng up north, the 101 is pretty nerve racking, so I would drive it at night so you don't realize the sea cliffs are only a few feet away!  :D

Best of luck to you!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Autocar

Sounds like a great adventure will look forward to your pictures and storys.
Bill

Ed_K

Jumping ship and starting over tain't a bad thing, I did it twice in my lifetime, have a great time and stay safe.
Ed K

Southside

Best of luck.  There are plenty of opportunities out that way, just be prepared those California girls are not the same breed as southern girls!!!   8)  Keep in touch, I may be back in Oregon this fall and if you are around will look you up.  Have wanted to follow you around and watch you run a saw for a while. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mikeb1079

can i ask who the timber fallers are that you're meeting?  just curious....
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

luvmexfood

Maybe we need to start a thread. Where's CCC4 instead of where's Waldo.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

CCC4

Well Men, I am wrapping up my trip and will be flying back home in the morning. I have had a a really great time out here...made a bunch of contacts, met  some really good people, seen the biggest timber on the Planet, went up and down the Coast from Mendicino to Crescent City. I have seen stuff that I never thought I would ever get to!

I got to visit a yarding operation and talk to several bullbucks and boss/owners. I also got to meet one of the OG legends and spend a couple hours with him...what a great conversation we had! When I asked what I could do to better myself in hopes of employment up here next season...he said, "shave and get some proper boots!" LMAO! That is pretty good I would say!

The season will be done here in a couple months so I am going to come back in November for the PNW GTG and maybe set some stuff up for next season as a mobile faller. There is tons of work here and everyone seemed receptive to me coming out. With all these fires, there is going to be plenty of cutting next season and I am going to go for it! I have some really big decisions to make in my life right now...do some number crunching and try the best I can to weigh it all out with the idea I will be seperated from my Son which I dearly love. It is going to be hard but I think I will run like a 4 month tour in the PNW and then cut the rest of the year in Arkansas.

I am too stupid to post pics...I probably took a couple hundred. Last night I stood next to a 12 ft across Redwood and got some pics.

I am going off-line for a while so if I don't get back with any replies, that is why. You fellas be safe out there!

Thank you

Clint

gologit

Clint...sorry I missed getting together with you  but it sounds like you did okay. If you're really interested in working out here I'll see what I can come up with for . There's going to be quite a bit of burn salvage work...it's nasty but it's steady.

Try to make it to the Napa GTG the first week in November. There should be a good group of people there.
Stay in touch.
Semi-retired...life is good.

CCC4

Thanks Bob! Yes, Aaron and I are trying to figure out arrival times...going to get the flight booked within a week. I will let you know for sure! Thank you Sir!

SliverPicker

Did you get to the Logger Bar in Blue Lake?
Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!