iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas doublecut diagram

Started by Bavarian in Brazil, March 15, 2005, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavarian in Brazil

One way there is to speed double cutting up a little is like this:

You slice the left side up a number of times and then do the right side. You just have to be careful not to forget the exakt positions you made the leftside cuts, so that you hit them when you do the right side. This way you only remove the guard one time or respectively only turn the sawhead once.

Jeff

Interesting concept to an old Circle sawyer like me. :)  once you cut the first one lose, is there some sort of drag back system, or is this off loaded from the side before you make the next cut?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bavarian in Brazil

You either take the first board of and go back to the beginning or you push the sawhead to the right, then go back, lower the head, push it back to the left and do the next cut. Which way is better depends on whether you're on your own or have an off bearer.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum Bavarian,

What part of Brazil are you from??
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sigidi

BIB, I can see how that would greatly speed up the process of double cutting. Thanks heaps as I am hopefully soon to be cutting the decking for our local council for bridges mostly 4x10's or 4x12's this will make it much faster.

The only drawback I can see is if someone talks to me in between ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Ianab

Thanks for reposting that diagram, I was about to start a new thread about it too.

I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but it should work with any flavour of swingblade.

Jeff the normal operation of a swingblade is you release a board then offload it. The auto ones have a dragback, but on a manual unit you just park the sawhead and haul the board off. (or wait while your offloader does) The routine would be a bit out on this one as you are making one cut to release, remove board, return the sawhead not cutting, adjust height and cut again.
I'd suggest having the offloader remove the board from behind the operator then return the sawhead once the board is clear. The offloader can also place some wood or plastic wedges into the kerf behind you as you saw, to prevent a heavy board pinching the saw as it releases. Of course if you are cutting 16x2 boards you probably have to park the saw and grab one end yourself :D

Everyone acknowledges double cutting is a pain, but that technique could make it easier

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

I'd have to have a note pad there hanging on a string.  I cant even dial a phone number with out looking back at the book 3 times while I dial. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Quote from: sigidi on March 15, 2005, 05:01:52 PM
BIB, I can see ......

Getting close to a trade name infringement here.   I could get confused and try to answer Bavarian in Brazil's questions. .  And I don't think anyone would want that!

How about B.I.B. ??   :D
Sawing since '94

Bavarian in Brazil

Bibbyman: I live in the Capital, Brasilia.

Sigidi: You just got the biggest problem: Staying concentrated. However, If you will be cutting 4 bys the its only two boards anyway, so first drop is to 4", second drop (beware of zeroing that ruler!!!) would be to 8" plus saw kerf (209mm)

The thing is that you have to calculate the positions as you should not move that ruler working this way.

If you really would do this procedure a lot, I would recomend you do get a clamp for the posts. With the clamp you can mark the position before you lower the first time on the left side. This way you can zero the rulers everytime you drop and still not loose the position for when you get to the roght side of the log.

Don't know if that was understandable.

If not, let me know

Bibbyman

B.I.B.

I've seen pictures of Brasilia and it was a quite large and modern city.   You must live in the suburbs..
Sawing since '94

sigidi

Ok so your saying a clamp to go onto the endframe pole which holds the cranking mech. this would sit exactly above the ruler on your first cut, then you go about business as normal, drop two layers, then after turning the carriage, you come back up to the clamp?

is that right?

I tell you I got thrown into the deep end with double cutting;
I had done almost 30 hours on the mill before getting a job for someone else, who it turns out wanted 290mmx50mm boards, well I hadn't done a dbl cut before the job and was plain scared, (I tried it that night at home until wifey came to me at 9:30PM and said the neighbours wont like me anymore) and I was so scared I was going to slab the boards first then re-saw them instead of dbl cutting. Well I soon found out that isn't an option unless you cut off some guards, so I had to learn dbl cutting right there and then - they came out well and other than some minor things I was quite happy, but it did take longer than I was happy with.

What you have made me realise is that I could have cut out 3 carriage turns and got the same amount of boards, so probably saved 30-45 mins??

Bavarian in Brazil

Yes, you are right about the right side post. Only one thing: you don't clamp above the ruler but above the rail support sleeve, for the ruler will be used for sizing and will change its position.

Ga_Boy

Quote from: Jeff B on March 15, 2005, 05:10:25 PM
I'd have to have a note pad there hanging on a string.  I cant even dial a phone number with out looking back at the book 3 times while I dial. :D

Jeff,

If you would eat mo grits you would not have that problem as grits are brain food. :P

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

sigidi

Very Sensible Bavarian,

I was drawing pencils lines directly above the track shelf collar when I first did dbl's as my gauges where getting caught and moving, then I filled down the rivets and no more catching.

Thnkas for the help.

Thank You Sponsors!