iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2015 Festival of Wood: Milford, PA

Started by lowpolyjoe, August 02, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Spent a few hours at the 2015 Festival of Wood at Grey Towers in Milford PA yesterday.   Fun time.  Lots of beautiful things for sale and some interesting demos.

I think it's still running today if anyone is in the area

Some great looking live edge benches

Timber Framing Demo

Some Nice Slabs

Wood-Mizer demo - I think the first I've seen a saw mill in action in person :)

Some live music

Porcupine

Hawk?

Albino Crow

Falcon

Baby Possum

Skunk

I didn't see the chainsaw carving demo, but these are some of the results

Love this dog

lowpolyjoe

Oops - meant to put this in general , not general woodworking

thecfarm

Looks like alot to see and enjoy. Is that close to Lancaster County? Seem like I can remember Milford somehow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

Milford PA is where PA NJ and NY meet right off RT 84
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

lowpolyjoe

I don't know much about PA, but I see Lancaster is pretty far south.  Milford is north-eastern along 84 like Red says.  My parents happen to live 1 exit away from Milford  and i'm not too far across the border in northern NJ, so it was a good chance to get together with them and see some fun stuff.

thecfarm

I think we use to take route 84. Probably that's how I know it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John S

It was great show at the Grey Towers mansion in Milford.  I believe this was their 10th annivesary.  That is Marty Parsons from the Woodmizer PA ASC, operating the LT40.  He and his wife, Lisa, have been at each show since the inception of the festival. They always do a fantastic job!  I am barely visible in one of the photos wearing my Carhartt bibs.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

lowpolyjoe

Yeah I enjoyed the mill demo.  Impressive machinery.  The LT40 was a monster, but even the manual mill (LT15 I think it was?) was a beauty

I probably should have talked to some people around the Wood-Mizer setup, but I'm not very outgoing so I just lurked around in the background   :D

John S

Yes, you should have spoken up.  Marty is on this forum quite a lot helping those of us with our problems.  My family had a house on Marlton Drive off of Black Oak Ridge Road from 1965 to 1977.  Let me know if you ever need anything sawmill related.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: John S on August 04, 2015, 03:22:22 PM
Yes, you should have spoken up.  Marty is on this forum quite a lot helping those of us with our problems.  My family had a house on Marlton Drive off of Black Oak Ridge Road from 1965 to 1977.  Let me know if you ever need anything sawmill related.

Thanks a lot John  :)

johnnyllama

Look's like a great show! My wife and I have been to Milford several times and toured Grey Towers, it's quite a place. Sorry to miss the wood show. 9 of our llamas came from Dick Snyder's herd in Milford, about 1/2 mile from Grey Towers.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for moving the thread, Chet.   I had completely forgotten there was an "Events" subforum. 

Quote from: johnnyllama on August 05, 2015, 07:51:52 AM
Look's like a great show! My wife and I have been to Milford several times and toured Grey Towers, it's quite a place. Sorry to miss the wood show. 9 of our llamas came from Dick Snyder's herd in Milford, about 1/2 mile from Grey Towers.

Yeah, the Grey Towers grounds were nice.  I didn't get to go inside at all.  My parents said they had been there a few times and it looked like they must have done some updating since their last visit. 

Now that you mention llamas - I vaguely recall driving past a farm that had llamas and would sometimes open up for people to interact with them, sort of like a petting zoo.  I think it was along 209, but pretty far south of Milford.  Could have been 7+ years ago

MartyParsons

Hello,
Sorry you did not introduce yourself. We always like it up there. We took the equipment up on Thursday back home on Friday for a funeral and back to the show on Sat and Sun.  We had some nice logs. We had a local guy bring in some Cedar. First log - - - you know what was in it. Hardware. Second log was ok . He go some good lumber - - - after we found the nails.
I enjoy talking to some of the people. One was from South America. Worked in NY NY. did fabric for furniture for the very wealthy. He said once you got into their group they would send you all over the world. Money was never discussed. He made lots of things from the scraps they wasted.

One couple retired from a large bank in the city. His wife was 9 years younger. They seemed very happy together. He was in his 80s. She worked in the school system.
I could go on. LOL

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

lowpolyjoe

Hey Marty

You were kind enough to ask me if I had any questions when you saw me walking around the tent after the demo, but I couldn't think of anything to say at the time.  Now I have a full year to work on questions for next year  :D

Take care,
Joe

Thank You Sponsors!