iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw M-14 I know you all like pictures.

Started by iwiegian, March 25, 2014, 10:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwiegian

This mill was bought in Kansas and moved to Denver where it was never reassembled.

It sat for three years before I bought it.

Doesn't seem to be much wear on the mill.

Went out after Christmas to get it.

My first time posting pictures hope they pass muster.  Dave

jimparamedic

Freedom6178

Nice Find. Congratulations.. The Pics look Good to me smiley_thumbsup ...
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

bandmiller2

Good find mate, Belsaws are an easy mill to set up especially the steel frame model. Any circular mill responds to a good foundation but I've seen Belsaws just set up on RR ties that gave good service. Your saw looks to be in very good shape, probably Simonds "B" pattern. All you need is a good sized tractor and a slip clutch or shear bolt. Take some time and learn how to file straight, touch up the bits often, the corners of the bit are what cuts. Build a mill shed if you can to keep the Iowa winter breeze off you. keep us posted. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Congrats on the Belsaw and you did fine with the pictures.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Very nice looking mill and great job on the pics 8) she'll be throwing chips soon!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

loggah

Looks like a brand new mill that never got used to me !! ;D the carriage  doesn't appear to have even been over the rails. Does it have the timberking logo on it? my 1992 steel belsaw has a timberking decal on the rails. There nice little machines ,mine works well. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

chopperdr47

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing pictures of a slab being peeled off with it.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

thecfarm

Can't hardly beat it,sawmill and pictures.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodworker9

I've seen a couple of these for sale locally recently.  What width board is one of these capable of cutting?  I was looking at purchasing a Corley last year, but the logistics of moving it 3 states over proved to be too much trouble for my tastes and wallet.

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

loggah

With a 40" saw i could cut a 14" board, basically break down a 21" dia. log. I put a 46" saw on and could get a 17" board,and breakdown a 24" dia. Log. a 24" dia. log is about as big as you will ever want to deal with on a Belsaw, there a PITA that big. ;D  20" and under are not to bad. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Possum Creek

That mill really looks practically new, have fun and be careful.                              PC

iwiegian

Thanks all for the encouragement.  I will be setting this up outdoors for now but someday under a roof.

I figure on setting it on rr ties for this summer and I have 60 and 135 hp tractors to power it.  I have a friend with a M-14 so a little familiar with the saw and he will be advising me.

The blade is a 46 and is a b tooth.  Any one have a Jockey grinder for sale?

I'll be starting on set up this weekend and will do another post. Dave

Dave_

Quote from: loggah on March 26, 2014, 10:50:52 AM
With a 40" saw i could cut a 14" board, basically break down a 21" dia. log. I put a 46" saw on and could get a 17" board,and breakdown a 24" dia. Log. a 24" dia. log is about as big as you will ever want to deal with on a Belsaw, there a PITA that big. ;D  20" and under are not to bad. Don

I second that.  The weight difference between 20" and 24" is huge.  Turning and handling big diameter wood on the lightweight Belsaw carriage is a real challenge.  I found 18" to 20" to be a real joy.  They cut fairly slow with my power setup, but seeing those wide boards for batt and board coming off was way funner than cutting smaller dimensional goods out of smaller wood.

hardtailjohn

Nice looking mill!!! Glad to see another circle saw always!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

iwiegian

Quote from: hardtailjohn on March 27, 2014, 07:20:23 PM
Nice looking mill!!! Glad to see another circle saw always!
John

Thanks John for the kind comment. I can't wait to get sawing. I had a very hard time deciding what type of mill to get.

What sold me was going to old time threshing shows here in Iowa as they all have old circle mills in them. I can sit for hours watching the boards come off the mill and listening to the music of that big blade.

hardtailjohn

Yah...that's a good day...tough to decide whether I like the stack music or saw music best!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!