iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has Anyone changed their drive feed bearing on the Lt-40's,(done with pics)

Started by drobertson, March 27, 2014, 07:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I have an apparent bad drive bearing, seeing some slop along with a bad sound. Getting into it in the morning,
Just looking for some helpful hints if possible on the R&R of the bearing,  thanks,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I believe MagicMan did an R&R on the feed drive bearings last Summer or Fall.

Had a lot of pics posted, pretty-much step-by-step!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

Yup, I replaced most of the power feed in 2010, and had a bearing failure on the Goodwill Sawing Trip.  LINK
The power feed is simple to remove and service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Be sure that it is the power feed and not a cam follower before you start disassembling.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mmartone

I did my cam followers a little while back, nothing to it.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

Correct, there is not much to replacing either the cam followers or the power feed bearings, but remove the drive chain and be sure that you have isolated the defective one before replacing parts.

Also, be sure that a cam follower is actually bad and not just a clump of Pine rosin making it bump.   ;D

pineywoods

Go ahead and replace the idler sprocket bearing while you are mucking around in there. Don't be surprised if the shaft is buggered up. I build the shaft up with a wire welder and then turn it down on my lathe.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

got it done, not bad, good help from all here, thanks a pile,  david

The first look at it this morning,

Measured the chain height and direction on idler and driver sprocket.

Disconnect the power to motor,(battery first) and from the belt guard.

take out the two bolts that hold the housing, finger off the chain, disconnect the lower flat bar bracket(not shown)

Bad bearing revealed,

bad bearing replaced, all three, two drive and one idler,

All installed, ready for remounting

All together, and the numbers are spot on, one more cabin to saw out, thanks to all who gave me input,
I will not forget your help,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

I believe the appropriate question should be how many bd/ft on the mill, ;D hours can be decieving ;D
I will say enough to know that I'm glad to have the last order out before finishing this pine, 
Bearings go  when they are done, electronics are a different game, need them both to get it done.

the seal on the drive was pealed back from debris allowing trash to enter in the race.  My bad I reckon,
Another notch for the books,              david

kderby

I was looking for the hours as well.  I had a similar issue and got the parts, then it "fixed" itself.  I have not had an issue since.  I still have the parts.

The hours question adds information about how worn out this part might have become over time.  Sure, some parts are doomed from the factory.  If you only get five months out of a five year battery, then either your conditions or the maker are creating a problem.  I would expect this bearing to last a long time.  On short hours I would wonder if I could learn from, prevent or avoid the problem.  Did it fail due to operating conditions, normal wear and tear, or the manufacturer?

Operating hours can also be a privacy issue.  Like asking a guys bank balance.  I have a mill nearby with one tenth the hours of my mill.  We respectively/respectfully consider ourselves to be "experienced" sawyers. ;D

kderby

drobertson

Kirby, the seal was torn by debris, allowing trash to enter the bearing race, it could happen in 5 min or 3000 hrs. either way damage is done, the best remedy is to ensure that debris is clear from the sprockets and bearings,
david

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on March 28, 2014, 09:55:25 PM
Kirby, the seal was torn by debris, allowing trash to enter the bearing race, it could happen in 5 min or 3000 hrs. either way damage is done, the best remedy is to ensure that debris is clear from the sprockets and bearings,
david
[/quote

Thanks for the info david, I'm going to look for a torn seal . I would not like to fix the thing on a job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2014, 10:41:06 PM
If the chain is too tight it can bust a bearing.   :-X

You know I think about that when I have the mill tided to the 24' extension A lot of chain hanging there.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

tule peak timber

A good pictorial, thank you . I just conquered a drive problem with cam followers replacement two days ago and was looking at the feed bearing next. Lots of wasted time !!!!!!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for taking the time to document the repair David.  Pics are worth a  :)...

Did you have any difficulty removing the old bearing from the shaft?  What is the tool with the yoke on the end in the 8th pic?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

I had to torch the race off the shaft, and used the fork for knocking off the idler, all in all not a hard repair,

Thank You Sponsors!