iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

E-Tex we will be looking forward to seeing more pictures of it opened up! Hopefully in color 😂

Southside

I would mill that "log" with a FFF-16 band.  As in 16 ounces of FFF blackpower.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Very cool picture 💪👍!!

TimW

I haven't had time to get on here for a while.  So I wanted to go big in my return.  I scored this quack of ERC day before yesterday.  They just showed up at my gate wanting to know if I wanted them.  These size ERC are rare around here, so I jumped on them.  I wasn't sure I paid too much, until I got online and looked up the local lumber yard that sales 8 foot posts at $34.99 each.  I got 23 logs and paid $19.48 for each log.  So I made out like a bandit.   The lengths are 11-16 feet.  The biggest are around 16 inches.  Only 1 shorter log has a hole on the small end.

One of my cedar customers came out today and picked the 3 biggest diameter (guess I didn't hide them well enough to keep for me) for milling 8/4 live edge at a buck a bd ft.  Only sad thing about it all was I missed out on buying another load of ERC yesterday.
Happy New Year hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

rusticretreater

One question.  How much is a Quack of logs compared to a Whack of logs?  Enquiring forum readers want to know.  :D
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ianab

Quote from: rusticretreater on December 30, 2022, 12:44:40 AM
One question.  How much is a Quack of logs compared to a Whack of logs?  Enquiring forum readers want to know.  :D
You measure the logs on the Duckworth scale  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

olcowhand

Quote from: Bindian on December 30, 2022, 12:31:47 AMpaid $19.48 for each log

How long did you haggle to get to $19.48 per log, @Bindian ? I love haggling, but I usually don't dicker down to the last few pennies....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

Nice ERC Brandi.  Welcome back home and yes, you have been missed.  I was sawing in South Louisiana on the 16th and @jasonb and I were discussing and wondering where you were.  Anyway, glad that you got your login fixed so don't be a stranger.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Went back and finished sawing my 3/4"X8" Red Oak order today and for dessert I got to saw 7-8 poplar logs from 10' to 16' long into 8/4 framing (a from 2X6's but mostly 2X4's. Unlike my friends in Mississippi and other ilk my customers almost always want full sized 2X framing. I doubt I get more that 1-2 dimensional orders per year.) The poplar had been cut a while and the bark was slipping and it was hard to handle the logs and flitches. Also the fiber on the last log peeled free and tangled the sprocket of my power feed and we had to stop and untangle that.  Also while sawing I suddenly noticed the clutch handle got real soft to engage so I checked and verified the spring had broken. I think 2nd one in 1300 hours of operation. I had a spare I put on but it is softer than the WM OEM spring.

We finished just just before dark with just short of 3000 bf sawed for the 2 days. A little more waste than usual because the client only wanted one specific size. Good help and very enjoyable way to end the year.

10' siding boards. The ones sticking out are 12' & 14' boards with a little wane that will be trimmed off to 10'.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 30, 2022, 08:17:49 PMUnlike my friends in Mississippi and other ilk my customers almost always want full sized 2X framing.
Which is amazing to me.  I am always curious how they nail them together when building corners and inside wall partitions?  A 16d nail is listed as 3½" which includes the point so in actuality they are only 3¼".  There has gotta be a lot of toe nailing.

I have sawn over 150Mbf of framing lumber this year and have a "whole house" framing job scheduled in January.  Not the first board is full 2" dimension.  ??

Anyway, those are some nice whacks of lumber.  8)  I am trying to hold tight and not saw until after the first week in January.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on December 30, 2022, 09:46:06 PMI am trying to hold tight and not saw until after the first week in January.

Now I see how you are slowing down.
I put the sawmill away on 12/22 and do not plan on taking it out until after Customsawyer's shindig.
Frozen logs are not my friends.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

No frozen logs nor any possibility of having any here, but we may continue to have some melt in August.  smiley_sweat_drop

I thought that I was carrying 9 jobs over until next year but now it is 10.

Old Greenhorn

Ah C'mon GAB, where is your sense of adventure? ;D Frozen logs are pretty easy, it's the half frozen that are 'less than desirable' to work with. Besides, that cold weather gets the blood moving. At least, this is what I've heard, but my experience differs slightly. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

OG, the problem is that in many areas of the country, frozen actually means half frozen. In MN, when a log is frozen, it's all the way through😬😊

I was sawing some frozen Red Pine this afternoon, at about 10°F. The sawn surface looks almost like glass, you can barely see the saw marks. The only problem I'm having is packed frozen sawdust, I may break and get some frost notch blades.
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

On trick I re-learned on this job was to saw thin cants. The customer only wanted 8" board 3/4" thick and had a lot of small logs that would not make an 8" square cant. Maybe 10"-11" SED so I'd trim an inch or so of the first side to open about a 6" face then flip 180 degrees and cut it 8" thick. Then I'd flip 90 degrees and saw a thick slab off down to the white wood, flip another 180 degrees, go to my first mark below the bark and saw to the bed. That last cut was always a real pucker factor as it was only clearing the fixed dog by about 1/8". I did skim the clamp with one blade out of the 6 I used on this job but was pretty well satisfied with that.

I had started sawing through and through then edging but in the end I was not going to get any more finished 3/4" X 8" boards either way and this allowed me to cut through less bark. I used my debarker a lot/constantly and only tripped the breaker once during the job.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 30, 2022, 10:46:26 PM
Ah C'mon GAB, where is your sense of adventure? ;D 
Like my business card says "Will discuss special requests/challenges".
Adventures in stupidity I will leave to others willing to offer blades to the "I shouldn't of done that gods".
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!