iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM CBN blade shapener and dual-tooth setter?

Started by Bibbyman, March 08, 2010, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Quote from: ElectricAl on January 07, 2015, 07:13:51 AM
I checked into the Retro kit a few years ago.

You end up replacing almost everything but the legs.

I felt the little grinder motor was too small for the heavy CBN wheel.

I think the kit is discontinued .

We have the BMS250, and sharpen 2 - 6 blades a day.
Currently sawing Frozen Hackberry covered in Frozen Mud. Lots of mud !
Not to hard to justify the CBN.

Frozen Mud is fun :D :D :D :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Lewisman

So I just completed reading all 23 pages of this thread and enjoyed it all for the information/education and entertainment.  I am considering purchasing setting and sharpening equipment from WM and thus found the postings extremely helpful.  I'd love to hear an update from the original poster, now nearly 4 years into his sharpening effort.  Also, any brand new equipment purchasers should share the torment or immediate success of their learning curve.  Thank you all.

terrifictimbersllc

Read this thread too!   

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,79823.msg1212840.html#msg1212840

And make up one of these somehow.  Been sharpening about 4 yrs now and very glad to have found this tool.  Fixes mistakes and provides uniform reduced set for more consistent setting

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tule peak timber

Lewisman, I used the WM Shop drag sharpening system for several years with my Lt 30. When I bought a new mill 9 months ago I upgraded to the newer sharpening system and REALLY like it. I gave away the drag sharpener and setter...There is some learning curve with the dual tooth setter .I keep a couple of guys on the mill  while I do ALL of the sharpening and setting to maintain consistency . For my style of milling I sharpen lightly 4-5 times a day and set occasionally using just one band.I have my guys run a band until we wipe out on metal or it just plain breaks from fatigue .I would highly recommend the CBN system -

it keeps us cranking....Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Lewisman

I like the set reduction/elimination gadget - as well as all the other little modifications described and depicted throughout this post.  I pondered some of the times outlined and it seems the math works out to about 15 minutes to set and sharpen a band, start to finish.  That seems reasonable to me and a worthwhile use of time and effort.  Beats sitting on the sofa.

terrifictimbersllc

Does anyone know if one can put a bigger motor in the Shop Series CBN grinder?  Mine is 1/4 HP and a little more power would be great. 

Correction.....my Shop Series CBN grinder is 1/7 HP not 1/4. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PAmizerman

Just finished reading this and figured I'd give it a boost. Lost of useful info here thumbs-up
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

terrifictimbersllc

I upgraded to the BMS250 sharpener and BMT250 setter shortly after making post above.  

No longer wonder about whether the sharpener motor is big enough.  Can sharpen as fast as I want, never had the motor cut out and have to wait for it to cool.  Can just go sharpen 20-30 blades in a session as fast as I care to keep the machine running.  One of those tools I enjoy using and am not wishing could be improved somehow. 

Thank You Sponsors!