iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goodwill Roadtrip/Sawing - Success

Started by Magicman, September 18, 2013, 04:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

Willie,

I think Lynn is looking at a Dec date for sawing.  You are of course welcome to help then or later when I start framing. 

Daniel,

I really have no idea if I'm going to need help felling and bucking.  I've never done it before.  I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. 

thanks
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

WH_Conley

Just a quick going over.

Beams, 7 logs 13-14 inch diameter by 14 feet, an extra and allow some end trim after drying defects.

2x6 studs, 12" by 10 feet, 22 logs at about 12-14 inch diameter.

Roof rafters, 15" by 18 feet, 22 logs

Lumber, print off a Doyle log rule and keep a tally of logs til you get about 5k feet.

There will be side lumber off the beams and roof rafters that should cut back on the numbers for the narrower 2x and side lumber.

I'm just guessing that you will be using mostly Pine. Some of the southern members that have more softwood experience will probably be able to adjust the list a little closer.

That would be for full 2x material. Just remember, when Lynn leaves, you had better have enough sawn. Better to have extra than not enough.
Bill

Magicman

I am off to the Cabin for a couple of days getting ready for the Chickin Crispin.  Keep it going and I will catch up when I get back.

I hesitated to put a $$$ goal on our expense contribution level because the amount will not keep this from happening.  The need is there and it will be met.

We are now at $700.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

If extra is reached we all know you will do right by it. I don't think any of us are trying to figure your "break even" point.
Bill

Magicman

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 19, 2013, 11:57:34 AM
If extra is reached we all know you will do right by it.
It would be nice to have such a "problem".  Our total is now $900.  Assuredly the Forestry Forum would benefit from any extra because it is the source that brings us all together.  :) 

While the donations are of an interest, our main focus is on the sawing job ahead.  Concentrating on the cut list and using the largest and straightest logs for the 18' 2X10's.

We have attracted Pat's attention and she is telling me that the old motorhome will have to be brought out of mothballs to serve as a meal and refreshment center, and that she is going.   8)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

downsouth

I'm in for some greenbacks and I will get with MM on date of sawing. I would like to make the trip and help offbear and stack or whatever else.
   Keep your head up! My man looks like help is on the way!

wwsjr

Just a note about the trip to TX. It would be great to recoup actual expenses, i.e. - gas for truck, fuel for edger, meals, and lodging, however it is not a showstopper. I don't expect any money for use of my edger or my labor. I will be going even if there is no money for my personal expenses. I try to make a few mission type trips each year where there is a need. A group of us worked on church addition in OK last year and spent a week earlier this year assisting a church with cleanup in Moore, OK after the tornado. Thanks to all who are helping a brother in need.

Willie

Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

beenthere

Willie
Your request for some coverage is fine from here, and to keep some order about it, I'd suggest working with MM.
After this is completed, then some additional accounting may be in order to pick up any slack.
I find it exceedingly generous for you and MM to go the extra mile in the Forestry Forum way with equipment to make this happen.
I'm for sure willing to help more if needed.

An estimate of those expenses would be a help too.

QuoteI really have no idea if I'm going to need help felling and bucking.  I've never done it before.

I see some room for Austin to have some help getting his trees down and collected to a site to do the milling. Austin mentioned not doing this before. There can be surprises not foreseen without some experience that could delay the Dec. milling time. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

I will make a donation. A little far for road trip.
Will we send MM a check or can we donate thru the FF?
Cheers
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

grweldon

I think folks are sending their checks to Magicman directly.  PM him with your contribution amount and he will give you his address...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

beenthere

Quoteor can we donate thru the FF?

That would be Jeff's call, I'd think. But as gr mentioned, a PM to MM will work too. Mine went in the mail today.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

Too far and bad timing for a road trip, but the bank says the check will be there on the 25th. 
     Help with felling, trimming, bucking and skidding would certainly be a big help for Austin. 
     Knowing the proper way to lay out the logs for best work flow would be a nice thing too.
     And don't forget guys.  There's a lot more to a house than just sawn wood, too!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

wwsjr

beenthere

I should have posted that MM and I were on the phone, exchanged several PM's and agreed this was the thing to do. I called him as soon as he posted that he would go. I waited to post my support until he started the new thread.  We discussed that we would work on the details of the plan during the Chickin Crispin next weekend.

Willie

Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Brucer

Quote from: dablack on September 19, 2013, 10:04:17 AM
I really have no idea if I'm going to need help felling and bucking.  I've never done it before.  I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. 

If you've never done it before, you are going to need help. Cutting down a tree is easy; getting it to fall in the direction you want it to (and not on you) is the tricky part.

Bucking looks pretty simple, too. Until you pinch the bar. Or split a face off a log.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dablack

[/quote]

If you've never done it before, you are going to need help. Cutting down a tree is easy; getting it to fall in the direction you want it to (and not on you) is the tricky part.

Bucking looks pretty simple, too. Until you pinch the bar. Or split a face off a log.
[/quote]

Luckily, the trees I'm going to be using are out in the open.  I won't care which way they fall except toward me.  I was planning on watching some youtube videos on felling trees. 

As far as bucking them, I'm open to any hints.

thanks
Austin

thecfarm

Magicman and wwsjr,you guys are doing a super job. Keep on with the faith.
If I was closer too,I could show you how to cut them down and buck them up. It's not all that hard,but hard to show and explain on a keyboard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grweldon

DABlack...

Get some kevlar chaps before you start felling and wear them faithfully.  It only takes a few milliseconds to have a mishap and they will save you an incident like this...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

dablack

Ok!  You don't have to tell me twice.  Where is the best place to buy them.  I'm good with ordering them online.  I would like to order today because I'm going to start cutting next weekend. 

Also, I'm going to start with some smaller trees that are out in the open where we plan to put a garden later.  I will get used to the saw and how to fell.  Then I can move my way up. 

thanks
Austin

downsouth

Just take your time. Always have an escape route, and watch out for ones with a cat face on them, they can and will break off as the tree falls.

Den-Den

I am a new guy here, have been lurking for a while.  This thread motivated me to register.  I am very close to Rusk and would like to help get the logs ready.  I am certainly not a professional logger but do have a little experience and can help fall, buck or ??

Dennis (Lufkin TX)
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

grweldon

Quote from: dablack on September 20, 2013, 09:52:04 AM
Ok!  You don't have to tell me twice.  Where is the best place to buy them.  I'm good with ordering them online.  I would like to order today because I'm going to start cutting next weekend. 

I got mine at Baileys.

There are many styles here.

This is the pair I got.

Raider Bill

Quote from: grweldon on September 20, 2013, 11:23:50 AM
Quote from: dablack on September 20, 2013, 09:52:04 AM

I got mine at Baileys.

There are many styles here.

This is the pair I got.

Same ones I have.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

moosehunter

dablack,
Google "Game of Logging" for videos / instructions on felling safely and properly. You can damage a good log by doing it wrong, worse yet you can damage you!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WH_Conley

Bill

beenthere

Austin
Our sponsor, Bailey's, is a good source for ordering online.

For bucking, know the lengths of lumber you want to saw. Then look for the straight sections of the downed tree that will fit those lengths (plus 6" trim).
Determine which side (upside or downside) has the tension and compression or is neutral the way the log lays.
Tension may cause splitting which you do not want. Compression may cause the bar to be pinched and either need another saw to get it out or a way to lift the log and remove the pinched bar.

I would recommend dropping the trees and limbing the tops off first (that way they will not add to the twist and tension in the log).

Keep asking questions.  Wish you well, and you should be ok with your plan.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!