iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to buy Anchorseal / log sealer?

Started by StorminN, July 15, 2009, 11:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

I need to coat some logs... do you guys find it locally, or is it a mail order item? Just wondering, I've never used it before...

Thanks,
-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

tyb525

I order it online from uc coatings. www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/ANCHORSEAL

Other sawmill/logging supply stores will probably have it or something similar.

Bailey's has a different brand of the same thing.

It really does help to control splitting.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jasperfield

Can it be sprayed on as well as brushed on?

tyb525

According to their website anchorseal can be sprayed on. I've also heard that it doesn't work too well with the backpack weed sprayers because the tips are too fine. UC coatings sells a sprayer suited for it. I think you could also use a paint sprayer.

I prefer rolling it on. Just fill up a 5 gallon bucket and get one of those grates that hang on the side. When you're done, just drop it in the bucket and put the lid on, that way it doesn't dry up and you don't have to clean it up.

I'm still pretty much a beginner at this so I'm sure others will come along with more informative information.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Anchorseal is wonderful!  It is pricey though, so I paint it on with a brush.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

I'm usin' Bailey's Seal right now.

I like it, it seems to coat  okay.

I guess I don't see much of a difference except Bailey's is a sponsor of the Forum.  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

Steve, good point.  I will have to give it a try.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Couple of times I bought 55 gallon drums.  Made it available for wood-turners to buy a gallon from me and save a couple of bucks.  Brought in a little extra business a few times also.

Now is a good time to order...once it gets cold they add anti-freeze...at an extra cost.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

StorminN

Thanks for the replies, guys... I will try this...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

campy

Is this better than the old cans of latex paint I have been dredging out of my storage area?

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Wallys World

I have had good luck with Anchorseal. I roll it on. They even have a formula for freezing temps.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Brad_bb

A timber framer I know had a good idea by using one of those plastic quart paint mixing cups, cut a small X in the middle of the lid.  Insert one of those cheapie paint brush handles through the lid(so the brush will be in the cup).  This way you grab the clean handle and use the brush with the lid on it and then just snap the lid back on and you can leave your brush and anchor seal in the cup and it won't dry out.  At least this works for the amount of endgrain a timber framer has to cover.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Engineer

I bought a 2-gallon pail directly from UC Coatings, transferred it to a clean 5-gallon pail with the metal roller screen, and used a trim roller.  I have brushed it on after the fact (i.e the lumber is already stacked and stickered) and I never want to have to do that again.  Took me 2 hours to coat a stack 4' wide and 6' tall.

Haven't used Bailey's sealer, but in defense of the Anchorseal folks, I think you get free shipping.

Thank You Sponsors!