iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log sealer other than Anchorseal

Started by hamish, July 19, 2012, 09:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamish

Wish I could, but its cost prohibitive to get Anchorseal up here, need some alternatives that don't involve re-cutting prior to milling (ie tar etc....).
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

bugdust

In a bind I've used left-over asphalt sealer. It worked pretty good, especially where I painted it heavy.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Kansas

Back in our very beginning, we used aluminum paint. We haven't sealed a log in years, but it seems to me somewhere that was recommended. In all honesty, not sure its worth the time, unless you have veneer logs you have to keep for a bit. Problem is, its hard to read a log with anything other than something clear when you go to cut it.

Tree Feller

Aluminum paint and varnish mixed 50/50 is a good sealer.

Paraffin wax is also good but has to be melted with heat or a solvent in order to apply it to log ends.

FWIW, I get Anchorseal through a local turning club for $10 a gallon. They buy it in bulk.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hackberry jake

I mixed some exterior paint with some old titebond I about 50/50. It seemed to work pretty good.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

CalebL

any cheap oil based paint will work. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

terrifictimbersllc

More than one customer asking for QS'ing had used colored anchorseal.  Very annoying.  They liked colors and thought they were getting something extra for the same price.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Al_Smith

The last I bought any anchor seal it was around 50 bucks for 5 gallons .You can't really buy any good paint much cheaper .I found it some place in Ohio so the shipping wasn't that much .

Baileys sells something similar but I've never used it .

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 20, 2012, 03:13:41 PM
The last I bought any anchor seal it was around 50 bucks for 5 gallons .You can't really buy any good paint much cheaper .I found it some place in Ohio so the shipping wasn't that much .

Baileys sells something similar but I've never used it .

UC ships Anchorseal 2 free to the eastern states, which they define as:

AL, AR, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, VT, WI and WV

Five gallons starts @ $79, volume discounts available. https://www.uccoatings.com/WebStore

Herb

Stephen1

Quote from: hamish on July 19, 2012, 09:31:29 PM
Wish I could, but its cost prohibitive to get Anchorseal up here, need some alternatives that don't involve re-cutting prior to milling (ie tar etc....).
I didn't think it was that prohibitive for what you are getting. I thought it was going to come from the US of A, It is shipped out of Guelph ON. so it shouldn't be to bad. They also have a northern type that does not freeze.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

hamish

Out of Guelph???? Guess I will call back on monday and talk to somebody else, thans a non issue if they will ship from within Canada, Thanks!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!