iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill, aigheadish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Peter Drouin

All my hummers are gone south I think.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

I saw one yesterday. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jack S

And here in North Carolina the hummingbirds have been at the feeders constantly.  I don't know how they can drink so much. right now they are fighting over the feeder. sure fun to watch

SwampDonkey

I haven't seen any hummers here since last week around Wednesday, day before a rain. They always came to the wind chime every day all summer. It's by a big picture window. One I seen Wednesday was buzzing by my red hard hat I wear in the woods. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Over the last 5-6 days, we've had a huge increase in the Hummingbird population, so my money says they're heading South and we are now feeding the ones that "were" further North!

Within a few more days they'll all be gone! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

I just got on here to post what Chuck just posted. We just had  a squadron of them here!

SwampDonkey

Another interesting tid bit, is that the bats left the barn before the end of August. There was 4 I'd see every morning all summer. So they left around the 24th or so.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The blue jays are busy in the beechnuts.

The beech nut bandits - YouTube

WV Sawmiller

No picture but on the way to our gd ballgame tonight a woodcock flew up right in front of us. That is the first one I have ever seen in WV. I used to see lot in N. Fla while duck hunting in November time frame but I think they had migrated down for the winter. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

We was driving down the road and a bald eagle tried to land on the car. :D Well not really,but it sure did seem that way. I saw it up in the like 20 feet,kinda flew straight up and than a sharp and I do mean sharp turn towards me. His hind feathers was spread wide,I could see gaps between them and he was working his winds to slow him down. He wanted something in the road. I slowed down to see it in action. Good thing the speed limit was only 35 mph or the car behind would of hit me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

I almost hit a black vulture last week. It was in the shadows where I couldn't see him, and he took off, and went right in front of me. If I hadn't hit the brakes, I'd have had vulture in my window at 55mph. Startled me. They're big birds up close.

SwampDonkey

We have the turkey vulture up here, which is not native to this area. Loss of habitat down south I'd guess. At the same time, all kinds of crows and ravens in the sky.

A-z farmer

We have lots of turkey vultures here in New York.
They are usually in groups of 8 to 12 birds .They always follow me around when I check my wood chuck traps three times a day .This year I have seen the groups of vultures in our hay fields catching and eating live snakes and mice which I have never seen before they used to just eat expired animals .I guess the hawks and crows have competition now.
Zeke

Jeff

My Sister Lynda just sent me this great shot  of a pilated wood pecker she took through her patio door.

Hilltop366

Great Horned Owl, I seen this owl while out canoeing in a river this past Tuesday, it hung around for a while and I was able to get a few good pictures.

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Nice owl. :)

Been crossing an old aldered in field to get to the latest thinning. The place is full of woodcock. Seen 4 this morning in the lights of the truck. There are grouse around to, hear them drumming.

Mooseherder

I heard about this Ruffed Grouse from a friend of mine in May.  He had a Ruffed Grouse come out to greet him when he stopped on an atv trail in Northern Maine.  She was friendly and he gave her the name Penny.  The trail is just south of town and comes out to greet all the locals if they stop.  This has been going on all summer.  I have stopped to see her 3 times and she came out every time..  She jumped on my shoulder and my hat in this clip.
Penny on my Hat - YouTube

SwampDonkey

Someone else I know of has a pet grouse, she just calls him 'bird'. :)

She's out WI way and the only reason I know of her is from the weaving groups on Facebook. :D

Mooseherder

I saw 6 Ruffed Grouse this summer.  This bird, two others while riding on the atv trail and 3 on our property.  One was huge. Biggest I have ever seen.

SwampDonkey

Where I am working right now, there are lots of grouse I hear all day drumming. A couple of us was out by the road for a break and one took off over our heads. Another lad with us stepped into the block with his gun and bagged one just after the one flew over head. Later one of the guys' saw was broke down, so he went for a walk around the property and seen 6.

WV Sawmiller

We were talking about them earlier this week. I never see them on my place any more since I cleared the multi-flora roses out.

Many years ago I worked a project in eastern Ohio near Steubenville and one of the guys up there said the first day of deer season he had one come out and walk all around him. He knew nobody would believe him but he went back the next day with his camera and it came back and he took pictures of her on his boot and sitting on the log with him and such. I have no idea why one would do that unless it was raised as a pet and his was apparently a wild, native bird with no fear of humans.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

That is amazing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Magicman

Guess she was expecting a handful of seed or something?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!