iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help identifying old sawmill

Started by sebae09, February 07, 2020, 09:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebae09

well I'm new here. I need a little help identifying this old mill I bought last week and if at all possible can I make it cut logs again. ?

Southside

Welcome to the Forum. I don't think that's a mill, maybe a buzz saw or part of an old edger?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bricklayer51

Woodpecker52

This looks like a 1920's version of a wood splitter! I would put it together paint it red and green and display or sell on facebook marketplace.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

I saw a lot of similar looking rigs used in Norway with a tractor PTO for power to cut firewood which was usually 4-6 inch diameter birch. They would drag long poles to a landing, have several roller tables set up and cut to about 12" lengths with the saw. They all looked awful dangerous to me. Neat find though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

RAYAR

A piece of machinery for junking firewood. The table is missing from it. Basically a big chop saw for firewood.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

47sawdust

That looks to have a lot of pieces missing.There are more modern ones available but all are inherently dangerous.
The castings are nice.I would be inclined to clean them up,paint them and make a table.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

moodnacreek

Quite substantial for a buzz saw. Those cast iron legs makes it look like a piece of mill machinery that could be a buzz saw with sliding table. If it took 2 saws it would have been a double end trimmer for big stuff.

trimguy

Welcome to the forum!! Sorry for your disappointing news.

sebae09

well that's definitely disappointing but is it possible to change the orientation of the blade to RIP. I have alot of spare steel laying around and free time. can this blade RIP instead of doing a crosscut?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sealark37

When complete, way too dangerous to let the kids use.  How much for the dog?

moodnacreek

My first 'sawmill' was my grandfathers buzz saw with a rip blade and a plywood table. This was belted to a john deere 60. Used it to split rails, no carriage. Next I got a Bellsaw, almost as bad. Anyhow don't bother.

Thank You Sponsors!