iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Effect of Lead

Started by ddcuning, April 23, 2017, 06:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

Had the Frick down over the past month or so and did a complete alignment. Leveled the track with a laser level and started from there. Changed all of the shanks in my F style blade and removed it for hammering. Installed my 2-1/2 style blade in its place since we have a lot of SYP to saw. Checked lead and it was 1/8" from when the F pattern was on the mill. Started sawing and every board was slightly thinner in the middle than on the ends and the dog board was 1/4" thinner in the middle than the ends on a 10 ft board. Adjusted the lead down to 1/16" and now even the dog board is perfect dimension. Just that small change in lead made a big difference in lumber quality. Went on to saw 25 2x10's, 20+ 2x6's and a lot of 1x6's yesterday!  8)

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

bandmiller2

Yup, lead is one of the most critical adjustments on a mill. Ignore it and it can lead to all sorts of problems. Its pretty much trial and error. It has always seemed strange to me such large heavy machinery and it needs such fine adjustments. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dgdrls

I think what's really neat is you realized there was an issue quickly and knew how to correct it right there.

D

moodnacreek

When the lead is right the saw will not lean in on a deep cut and clear teeth at the back and be the least amount of lead.  You need a nice grained large log and perfect teeth ,not one chipped tooth corner and no help from the guides. When you are sure it can't be set any better [or less]  set it and forget it. The next time you have trouble investigate everything but the lead. Mill owners have gone years with out checking lead.  Doug

Thank You Sponsors!