iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Purchasing black cherry

Started by Osric, November 26, 2007, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

It don't matter when it's standing, just call'm palm trees. And if you day dream real hard, that cold white stuff turns to warm sand. I can see Furby out there now making sand angles and sand castles. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well as I said before, black cherry bark is different from one corner of it's range to another as is sugar maple. Sugar maple is probably more confusing.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Have you seen where my pin is SD ???

SwampDonkey

Furby

Ok, since this thread has already been wandering around.........
Tell me what you see:

SwampDonkey

Well, I see definite wood rays and growth rings. Not magnified enough to see pores. So if i can see rays, but not pores that rules out maple and birch is ruled out because largest pores are easier to see than largest rays. Narrows it down to at least one possibility, and that is cherry. There is also a bit of staining in the wood. How'd I do? ;D

Furby

Well, I thought it was Cherry, right up until I tried splitting the stuff. :-\
It don't split and is heavier then Cherry.
The bark looks like Cherry and the grain/color looks like Cherry.
Yes there is some staining due to laying around for three years now. ::)

SwampDonkey

Your suppose to split firewood when it's green and frozen. Ask Marcel. ;)

All kidding aside, it's likely cherry. What else did you have in mind, maybe we can eliminate them by anatomy.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Furby, do you see real faint rays between wider ones? I can't in the picture, but to see the piece in my hands I might. I mean 3 or more, they are hard to see. If so, then it could be rock maple (in fact it would be rock maple because those are intermediary rays), which of course is quite heavy compared to cherry. I've not seen rock maple turn red (pink) though, not even when spoiled.

Furby

I kinda thing I might.
It sorta looks like a lot more rays in person then I can see in the posted pics.
They all look the same though.
This log was laying a pile of Black Cherry logs and looked the same, and even the color on the ends.

SwampDonkey

black cherry then, your my eyes.  ;)

Furby

First Black Cherry I've ever found that wouldn't split no way, no how! :-\
Course, when I try to get a piece of it to put on a lathe...... it's checked all the way through. ::)

SwampDonkey

Sounds like the cherry I have. You have some pith in the piece? Firewood.  ::) Some of that cherry I bought from PA doesn't have as distinct growth rings on the flat sawn surface as my local cherry. On my local cherry the rings are as distinct as spruce rings. But mine oxidizes to the red brown color like the stuff I bought.

Furby

I can get some pith, but not right now, my table saw won't go in far enough.
I need to buck this piece with the chainsaw and then I should be able to get a piece.

SwampDonkey

I mean the pith and the juvenile wood surrounding it will split to pieces. Avoid it.  ;) I tried some on the lathe and it pulled apart in front of me.

Furby

Ah yeah, well when it won't split and it's firewood length, it just gets tossed in the pile. ;)
I took the saw to it yesterday and squared it up, but it really isn't useable as it has already checked all over. ::)

Think I've got a nice chunk of spaulted Maple to mess with though. :)

SwampDonkey

I have 6 or 8 - 6x6" and I have turned and looked them over a dozen times to see if I could buck a turning block out. Nope, no way. Only thing I can do is run some sections through the band saw and maybe slice some 2" stuff out. And I'm not going to put a lot of time into it. I might just need some nice cherry firewood.  ;D ;D

Furby

Well I milled up the two logs from up at the lake that the scan in reply #40 came from.
No question....... they were Black Cherry. :)

SwampDonkey

Glad ya solved it. Now what are you are going to make?  ;)

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!