iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simple man, small bucket. ;0)

Started by Jeff, October 31, 2020, 04:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I've been wanting to do this, but decided 25% of the way up was plenty. I may not be fluffy-bouncy anymore, but good chance I'm old and brittle. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

thecfarm

I have not climbed a tree in 40 years!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Almost that long for me. This big wolf whitepine is on our u.p. property. The first time my 300lbs plus self saw it, I wished I was a kid. I'd of been to the top of it.

I never dreamed a year ago that I'd actually climb it. I was going to go back up higjer on the other side, but Tammy told me to GET DOWN!  :'( :D

thecfarm

I had some pine like that. Well the limbs was not that close to the ground. We could get just about get a 8 foot log before the tree forked at least twice and sometime 3 times. 
We had one of those forked out one pushed off to the side of the wood yard. The trucker came and saw that fork and told us that they would take it for pallet wood, That was really a nickname, was not used for pallets, but was sawn and than they would cut out the knots and dovetail it for windows and doors stock. My Father had a fit. He came from the Old School. Anyone my age,40 years younger, trucker was my age too, did not know nothing. No way they would take that and pay on for it. He had no idea what he was talking about. As he was having a fit with the trucker, I went and got it and put it by the truck. It was 8 feet long with a fork on it, It was a big log, at least 3 feet across. That was the only 8 foot on that load. As the load left, my Father said, they will take it, but they won't pay us. We got the scale slip and there was that 8 foot log, pallet log. My Father could not believe it!!! I can still hear him say, They took that log and they PAID us for it. We started to chase down all those ugly trees. At the time it was paying twice what pulp was. And pulp could be no bigger than 20 inches? So no need to split it, to sell it. This was on his land, so we got all the money. Like he said, you can sell good logs anytime, but can't sell bad logs anytime.
We even would take some of the limbs for pulp. Some of those limbs was 8 inches across, but most was 6 inches.
When those big trees came down, they would open up the forest. Took more than a tank of gas to limb them trees out. We would cut a road for them to fall into. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

florida

I ran across this video just a few days ago. This guy makes everyone else look like a piker.  Watch this crippled 80 year old climb to the top of huge trees!

This is a translated description of the video.

"If you are in the Vallée de Joux and you are walking in the Risoud forest, you may well come face to face with a real troll, a fantastic character with giant hands and childish eyes. This 80-year-old man who still climbs trees like a squirrel is called Lorenzo Pellegrini. A retired lumberjack for 15 years, he continues to survey the woods on a daily basis to take care of his lifelong companions: the trees. Thousands of trees with which he has forged such an intimate relationship that it seems magical ... Steven Artels met the tree picker to share with us his world full of poetry.

Lorenzo Pellegrini specializes in the selection and cutting of trees for violin making. He is still working and passing on his knowledge to successors including the guitar maker Jean-Michel Capt who invented the soundboard."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCz3AmR4tMU

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!