iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2007 dodge 1ton cummings

Started by uplander, October 28, 2020, 05:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

I am looking at a dodge 1 ton cummins diesel. With slide in truck camper.
It has a new computer in it. 125,000 miles on odometer.

Can anyone comment on if 2007 is a good year for the dodge with cummins diesel? Is there any reason to avoid this?
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: uplander on October 28, 2020, 05:15:57 PM
I am looking at a dodge 1 ton cummins diesel. With slide in truck camper.
It has a new computer in it. 125,000 miles on odometer.

Can anyone comment on if 2007 is a good year for the dodge with cummins diesel? Is there any reason to avoid this?
My son had a 07, liked the pooh out of it. Just not as refined as the other 2 are is all I can say negatively. Transmission not as good as the allison in the gm's, but not bad either, so not really a negative.

Here is some info

https://repairpal.com/2007-dodge-ram-2500/problems
Necessity is the engine of drive

sawguy21

I have been driving an 05 which is pretty much the same truck for ten years with few problems, it is the most reliable vehicle I have owned. At 125,000 miles that engine is nicely broken in. Mine is a base build with few options so not as quiet as the higher end models but I'm not complaining. I believe 07 was the last year for the 5.9 liter, the 6.7 has more power, is a bit quieter and comes with the engine retarder I wish mine had. I don't need it enough to install the aftermarket exhaust brake.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Can't go wrong with a Cummins. They are the king on the Dyno, Drag strip when you put a little money in them 😂. And durability and longevity. If it's the 6 speed automatic or manual that's good. The regular and earlier automatics are not so hot.

PJS

I still drive my 07 ram 2500hd with the 6.7 and 8' box on a daily basis... to and from work... Then back and forth to our farm on weekends usually hauling a load of hay or something of the sorts... I've racked up 492xxxkms... not sure what that is in miles... 300 or so?.... other than usual wear/tear and maintenance/tires she is still a stock truck, engine and tranny have both been amazing(knock on wood lol).... the tranny gives me a couple funny shifts once in a while... the engine idles a little weird in the cold or wet but goes back to purring after a while.... I always plug her in over the winter just to be nice to the old girl.... only complaint is that the body is going to rust out before the truck dies lol but I wouldn't hesitate to snag another.  

Resonator

I have a 07 Ram 2500 (with the Hemi) and I know my dealer has done a few recall repairs over the years, (steering and air bags come to mind), get the VIN# off the truck your looking at check which apply and have been fixed. Also if possible get it up on a lift and have everything checked over, though in southern Indiana you probably don't have to deal with the high salt diet that destroys trucks with rust up north.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

uplander

Thankyou everyone for replying.
The truckcamper is in new mexico and i am in indiana.

As i mailed the owner back and fourth i found out the truck had been in a fender bender as he called it.
Resulting in a new hood, bumper and radiator.
Did not sound like a fender bender to me and i decided to pass on it rather than get something that wouldn't drive nice down the road.

If i had flown out there i would have felt pressure not to waste the trip
So i chose to give up on this one.

Thanks all.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Ed_K

I bought a 2010 dodge 1/2 t out'a Ok. It had a bump up front and they replaced the bumper and the back someone dropped something pretty big to dent the top of the tailgate down 4"s but the frame was in perfect condition. I just lubed the under of it so hopefully it'll last longer than the trucks you can get around New England >:(. If I do need to get another It'll be a fly down to Tx, Ok,area.
Ed K

mike_belben

If youre in the salt belt look into "new hampshire oil undercoaters" for a really good one time undercoating that works. The formula comes from NH but the founder is distributing elsewhere now.  It creeps in everywhere and never hardens or flakes off.  Better than motor oil or vegetable oil. 

Ed... A close friend of mine sprays it at his shop in grafton if youre interested. mass mobile undercoaters. Name is Todd, tell him belben sent you.
Praise The Lord

quilbilly

My dad has an 07 6sp auto he bought new, 1ton single axle. Just went to the shop for a tranny rebuild.... At over 400k miles. That's the only thing he has done completely stock except maybe a slight mod to let it breathe. The seats are not comfortable though. That has been a very long  400k. Don't get basic seats. Oh he has the 6.7 l
a man is strongest on his knees

barbender

The seats in my 03 aren't very comfortable either. My 97 is more comfortable than that one, and my 01 Chevy 2500 is like riding in a limo compared to the 03 Dodge.
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

You fit in a Chevy? I'm 6'3", and my head is mashed into the headliner in our 08 2500 GMC.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

I found the seat in my 05 comfortable enough 10 years ago but not so much anymore. It needs to be redone or replaced.

farmfromkansas

Been looking at seat covers and new foam for my 05 f-450.  Expensive.  Cheapest found so far is on ebay.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Ed_K

Mike I borrowed a friends spray tank and put a good coat of hydro oil mixed with a little diesel. I plan to do it every yr. On my old 05 gmc when I had the rockers cab corners and doors replaced they cleaned the frame and sprayed it with fluid film. I believe that was what ruined the frame,it made a hard coat and the salt stayed between that and the frame. I put 4500 into the body, it and the drivetrain are perfect but anything bolted to the frame is ripping out. I hit a pot hole an the stablizer bar ripped out of the front frame.That's when I decided to get another truck.
Ed K

barbender

Dave, I seem to fit in it without any issues. Maybe I just don't know any better😁

Patrick NC

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 31, 2020, 08:55:25 PM
You fit in a Chevy? I'm 6'3", and my head is mashed into the headliner in our 08 2500 GMC.
I'm 6'2" and 255lbs and I fit in my2016 3500 crew cab just fine. It was in the shop last year for a DEF system problem and they gave me a 2018 regular cab 2500 to drive for a few days. That was the most miserable truck I have ever driven. Seat all the way back against the cab and my knees were jammed up against the dash, sitting straight up and almost against the ceiling. Apparently GM built these trucks for a significantly smaller population. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Dave Shepard

Crew cab ok, regular cab is nogo for me in GMs. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

I don't remember the last time I sat in a regular cab truck. It seems only the utility crews have them now. I drove a new Ram last summer, it was worlds apart from my bare bones truck but so was the price tag. Old Faithful is going to have to last.

barbender

I also have to say that one of my biggest pet peeves is putting a "g" at the end of Cummins. You've all been warned😁 My Dad does it all the time, drives me nuts! "Dad, it's Cummins, there's no g". "Yeah, like I was saying, I really like my Cummings diesel"🤦🏻‍♂️ As an aside, he has a 92 or 93, I think it was the last year of the square body. D250 Cummins regular cab 5 speed, I think it has 64,000 miles on it. The dang thing looks brand new. He plows his driveway with it, he doesn't even license or insure it🤷🏽‍♂️ It just sits in the garage most of the time😊

mike_belben

Dont tell everyone that..  Its how i find the deals.. Misspell search ftw. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: Ed_K on November 01, 2020, 07:10:04 AM
Mike I borrowed a friends spray tank and put a good coat of hydro oil mixed with a little diesel. I plan to do it every yr. On my old 05 gmc when I had the rockers cab corners and doors replaced they cleaned the frame and sprayed it with fluid film. I believe that was what ruined the frame,it made a hard coat and the salt stayed between that and the frame. I put 4500 into the body, it and the drivetrain are perfect but anything bolted to the frame is ripping out. I hit a pot hole an the stablizer bar ripped out of the front frame.That's when I decided to get another truck.
My family back up your way wanted me to take my grandfathers 01 f250 when he went into the home.  87k miles and ROTTED TO DEATH.  Its just sad what that salt does.  My 1984 f250 down here has a mint frame. People still drive unrestored 1960s pickups in the south.  And for what they cost new id say you oughta!
I use vegetable oil for frames.  Put it in a plastic hand sprayer in the microwave so its hot and thin.  Itll seep in and polymerize on iron, best free thing ive tried.  Every other year or so.  But the NHOU formula is much much better. One and done.  Fluid film, paint, bedliner, rubber spray... All sucks
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!