iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TA Schmid Sawmills

Started by jwoods, March 21, 2013, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwoods

Does Anyone have contact info. for Tom Schmid, -or the company that bought his mill business?  He is a member on this site but isn't replying to his PM, and appears to be inactive for quite some time.

Tom sold the business to someone possibly in the New York State area of West Edmeston.

Any help is appreciated,

Joe

dgdrls

T.A. Schmid Portable Band Sawmills, P.O. Box 6, West Edmeston, New York 13485 USA, Tel: Tel: 315-855-4768 (For information only 888-858-8589), Fax: 315-855-4691 Manual www.taschmid.com

I'm guessing you already found this??
website seems to be a bust

DGDrls

bandmiller2

I met Tom and his wife,he built probibly one of the best manual mills very stout and well designed.It would be a perfect platform to add hydraulics and power feed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Seems like I looked at his mills. I can not remember if someone had one or I saw it at a show or what happened.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Cfarm,you saw it at the expo in Bangor.I never used to miss those events but with the price of gas now I stay close to home. Frank C.

44woody

j woods i just bought one of those mills theguy told me thet did not make them any more

thecfarm

bandmiller,still don't remember where,but if it was there then I saw it there.  :D  Thank you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

The retired owner has a registration here, and got himself in trouble with some of the membership here with a mildly catty uncalled for remark. they mildly retorted,  h thene posted some photos of his mill, and that was the last we saw of him, back in 2010.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jwoods

Thanks all,

I have one of his mills, bought it about 12 years ago.  I had some correspondence with Tom a few years back, just trying to find him if possible.

Joe 

taschmidretired

Hey, Howdy Joe (if you are still around)

Sorry if I left anyone hanging out there. Yeah I quickly got woodmizerized to death and lost my cool. but I happened to catch this note and wanted to let you, and any owner, perspective buyer of a used one, (no more new ones) or a second owner of a T A Schmid Portable Sawmill, that I'd be glad to talk with you and answer any questions you might have.

As with you Joe, I recollect most all of the original owners, that is,  between me and my Wife Maryann, who had dealt with as many, if not more,  of T A Schmid sawmill owners back in the day. I'd love to hear what ever you have to say and I will try and stick around this time and hope to be beneficial to any of you by doing so.

I have always been just a little more than moderately adventurous and sometimes it has put me out of reach of communication, even with the incredible technology of today.

Well things have changed some and those days are pretty much behind me now.......so I'm rather sure of being able to keep myself available now days. And I'll keep a corral around my competitive thoughts in order soothe  the  moderators some.

I look forward to chatting with you

T A

"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

Good to have you back Tom. Frank C.

two-legged-sawmill

Hello TA,  Welcome back, nice to hear from you! Not everone can remember
Pioneering a new concept, and mfg. it, to near perfection. Warren R introduced
me to my first band mill, after he saw the building that I chainsawed
out back in the seventies.  Becoming a dealer for him, sold 88 of them around the country, His mills never had one improvement made to it!  He could
have captured the bulk of the bandsaw market had he listen to the customers that he had sold  to. If you get near Barneveld stop-in I am sure Danny would love to see you.  Your mills have a good reputation around here!  Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Magicman

It is good to see that you are supporting your sawmills and their owners.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taschmidretired

Thank You Gentlemen.
Howdy Dan Sr.  Good to hear from you too.  Please tell Danny I said howdy. I will stop in if I ever get over that way....I remember the time when it seemed like I was passing by there every couple of weeks...It was always fascinating to me to watch the Hudon operation growing in leaps and bounds.  Thank You also for the fine compliment, those are most times worth more than money.
Thanks Jeff, Frank, Magicman
T A
"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

captain_crunch

WOW only here do people bygones stay in the past 8) 8) 8) 8)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

eyewood

If you have any information on the v belts that go on the Browning bandwheels, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote from: taschmidretired on June 06, 2013, 04:58:04 PM
Hey, Howdy Joe (if you are still around)

Sorry if I left anyone hanging out there. Yeah I quickly got woodmizerized to death and lost my cool. but I happened to catch this note and wanted to let you, and any owner, perspective buyer of a used one, (no more new ones) or a second owner of a T A Schmid Portable Sawmill, that I'd be glad to talk with you and answer any questions you might have.

As with you Joe, I recollect most all of the original owners, that is,  between me and my Wife Maryann, who had dealt with as many, if not more,  of T A Schmid sawmill owners back in the day. I'd love to hear what ever you have to say and I will try and stick around this time and hope to be beneficial to any of you by doing so.

I have always been just a little more than moderately adventurous and sometimes it has put me out of reach of communication, even with the incredible technology of today.

Well things have changed some and those days are pretty much behind me now.......so I'm rather sure of being able to keep myself available now days. And I'll keep a corral around my competitive thoughts in order soothe  the  moderators some.

I look forward to chatting with you

T A

47sawdust

I can't help with the belt but there was a review in an old Sawmill and Woodlot magazine of that mill.I believe the owners lived in Nebraska.A little creative research might lead you to them.
I ran Timberwolf belts on my Kasco.I had a machine shop mill the groove to fit their belts.Don't know,but it might be an option for you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!