iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Make a bandmill scale

Started by Larry, October 28, 2009, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I needed a scale to saw thin cedar...so I made one and took few pictures.

The jig is clamped to the table saw miter.  After the first cut is made just plop the slot over the guide strip.  Measure from the blade for the spacing.

Painted...neatness not a requirement.

Take the extra paint off by sanding, sawing, or a planner.  Finished with a couple coats of lacquer for protection.

Installed with both a standard pointer and a wire...only use one at a time. ;D  If sawing to a cant align the scale to the inch scale.

Different variations can help when sawing several sizes...this one is for walnut flooring cants.  The yellow and blue are glued together and give five different cant sizes.  The white is sliding and gives standard 4 quarter to get the higher grade jacket boards off.

I've got a whole collection that I've made over the years...most are oddball sizes...a scale that can't be bought.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bandmiller2

Good idea well exicuted Larry,especially if you can make fine movements with your head adjuster. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Larry,what did you figure in for your band kerf?? Frank C. That table saw set up your not Norm Abrams are you?
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

treecyclers

Now that's a really trick idea!
Well done!
I am impressed!
When I grow up and get a tablesaw, I'll make me a few of those just like you!
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Larry

Frank, on that last scale I didn't even think about kerf because the cedar thickness is really not a bit critical...its just going to be T & G for the ceiling.  3/32" is a pretty good number for kerf thickness if needed.

Not even close to Norm...heck he's just retired and on easy street. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!