iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

When I picked up my mill the previous owner had removed the whole assembly and mumbled about what a pain it was to use.

Guess he never did figure out how to get it to function correctly.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

I broke my LubeMizer hose on the corner of a big cant about 4 years ago. I got a PTC union and cut fresh ends on it and went back to work. I caught it again not long after, and had to replace the one section of hose. I had to modify the PTC connector for the new hose, as it wouldn't fit, so it was just loose on that side. It would pull out if it got caught on a cant, so that was ok, as at least it wasn't breaking. The original polyethylene tubing got brittle, and cracked under the engine, so I found a package of 1/4" O.D. poly hose at Home Depot last night. 25' for $3. Now I have a new hose and two spares. I know some other people have caught their hoses, so I took a photo of how I rerouted mine. It is sort of in the way of the tensioner handle, but not really an issue. The way it loops when the guide arm is all the way out, it won't snag on a cant, just rub the side of the log.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Next I have to take my triangle debarker belt off and rotate it. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Yes you do. :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Rain today. It can stay triangulated for now. :)

Chuck White

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 07, 2015, 08:53:04 PM
Next I have to take my triangle debarker belt off and rotate it. :)

I don't understand.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Sounds completely worn out.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Peter broke his debarker shifter shaft, and Marty Parsons suggested checking that the belt hadn't become rusted to the sheave.

Read about it here.

Magicman

I am familiar with the thread but I was in Oklahoma for a couple of days and missed the triangle.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on April 09, 2015, 06:10:21 PM
I am familiar with the thread but I was in Oklahoma for a couple of days and missed the triangle.   :-\

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

Now I see it after looking at the pic, thanks Peter.

I think you should run that debarker a little more, either that or maybe the belt is hardened because of age!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on April 10, 2015, 07:44:05 AMeither that or maybe the belt is hardened because of age!
Does that include backs and knees??   smiley_old_guy

Chuck White

Yup, seems to be that way, Lynn.

Bandmill Bandit

I change that belt every spring now. Cheap preventative maintenance. i have changed that little shaft twice. now I just put a new belt on ever spring after an over night soak in a pan of ATF or dextron
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

scully

I dug the mill out from winter storage and before anything else I did my live hydraulics mod . I have an LT 40 SUPER with remote command . I found that haveing to move the head back and work my hydraulics was a total pain in the butt ! so I ran 1 OT welding cable through my cat track and back to the pump box and then into the connection for the contact shoe . . No more power strip ! I can now use the hydraulics at any time ,saveing steps and time for last board off bearing and for the occasional oops my backstops are to high.....
I bleed orange  .

YellowHammer

Scully,
That mod is an amazing time saver.  My sawing output jumped significantly.  If you are going to use the board return, then don't forget to weld the board carrying strip to the bottom of the paddle.  It will really save steps, too.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bandmill Bandit

[/quote]

i did a re work of the hose connection that works very well. Have not ripped a hose off since.

There are more pics of this mod in the gallery

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kbeitz

Wow.... Right in the middle of building my mill I found this 48 pages of stuff to do....
I thought I was almost done building... I guess it will be another couple weeks doing mods.
This was a long read... Great ideas...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

flatrock58

Decided to change out the 2" hitch with a lunette ring for a pintle hitch.  Made it so I can remove the lunette ring to make the mill harder to steal.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

petefrom bearswamp

Scully My neighbor did this.I have toyed with the idea but am too cheap to buy cable
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

I put a hose clamp on top of the rubber to stop it from splitting apart.

And put in one of these.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

addysdaddy

8) 8) 8) So I think I have finally cured the clamp problem with my LT-10...  :snowball:It was always an issue trying to get the clamp to stay tight and when just trying to keep it snug as some folks recommended it would vibrate loose which was even less fun.  >:( There was also the issue of it pushing the CANT up and out of square... also a tad aggravating. So as I sat with my Coffee this morning I thought that if there were teeth on the end of the clamp screw and they didn't spin with the clamp screw and if it was as large as the clamp housing (Yeah I know that's a lot of ands but bear with me)... All those things being correct then it would hold straight and allow me to lower the clamp and get a better grip on the log or cant. OKAY so here goes.

First I measured the screw to see what size adapter I would need... turns out 3/8 is the perfect and convenient size for the project. The clamp screw housing is 1 1/2 inch threaded pipe. So I droped in to the local hardware store and picked up a new 3/8 steel drill bit. also a FORSTNER style bit with a 3/8 shank and a 1 1/2 inch head with teeth. I took both of these out to my handy dandy gunsmith since he has the nice drill press and had him drill me a nice straight 3/8 hole in the end of the screw.

Then I just replaced the screw post in the clamp. inserted the FORSTNER bit and WEE HAW 8) 8) 8)I can clamp the cants or logs without them riding up or having the clamp shake loose... I can also now cut within 1 1/8 inch of the bed so my last board is 1 1/8 thick...

This may not be earth shattering for some folks but it's sure gonna make my days easier... And as the topic states... It may be my idea but I'm not patenting it so everybody feel free to copy as you wish...    ;D
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

East ky logging

Looks like a good idea. I'm going to try that on one of my clamps.Does the forstener bit just slide in and out of the clamp?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!