iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

I feel a mod coming on.

My son just sent me a link for some real quality components that will allow me to completely convert my mill to wireless remote for what appears to be a decent price (about $2500cdn) at this point. I need him to do the design which he said he pretty much has done in his head.

I will have full control of ALL functions including hydraulic from a single lite panel I can "wear" or clip to a stand. And I'll have a range of about 60 metres with out signal boost. Will have swappable 14 volt battery on the  remote panel.

The most expensive part not Included in the above price will be changing over my hydraulic control valve assembly to an electric solinoid activated assembly. The wire less control system for this valve assembly is included in the above 2500.

I wonder if Woodmizer could/would supply me a valve body out of the the LT70 remote mill?  Pretty sure Bucher will if they don't.

The Valve assembly may be as much by it self. We will see! I will post again when this project hits the shop floor.

Son said he could make it so it would work off my IPhone or IPad if I want.

How cool would that be?
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

That would be really cool if you could figure it all out!
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on October 04, 2015, 06:55:06 PM
That would be really cool if you could figure it all out!

Son said it is actually pretty simple. He took my mill manual and used that to get electrical spec as well as doing reading on the mill well I been sawing just to confirm.

He is actually doing a remote mod to a couple of oil field transport systems that allows the operators to be about 100 metres away. Said doing the mill is a cake walk by comparison.

If I can find a assembly number that applies to the Bucher valve assembly he figures he an get it direct from the manufacturer.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Dave Shepard

Not to derail your project, but how much would the parts cost from WM? I know they say it's not a retrofit option, but I bet you could buy the parts if you asked nicely. :D I know for the WM wireless you would need Accuset2 and autoclutch, with the right version of the Accuset software. You would not have remote hydraulics, but I don't seem to need them with my wireless.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

UpInATree

When I got my wireless setup I was disappointed that the hydraulics were not part of it, but after using it, since it is attached to me with a shoulder strap, I simply have myself in position at the hydraulic controls when I need to access them.  It might be interesting, but a lot of extra work and expense to pull it off.  Keep us updated.

I had asked Woodmizer about adding a channel to the remote to activate lights, but the control board would have required reflashing the software or new chipset, etc. aside of high cost.  A nice switch works fine. 
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 04, 2015, 07:27:55 PM
Not to derail your project, but how much would the parts cost from WM? I know they say it's not a retrofit option, but I bet you could buy the parts if you asked nicely. :D I know for the WM wireless you would need Accuset2 and autoclutch, with the right version of the Accuset software. You would not have remote hydraulics, but I don't seem to need them with my wireless.

We are checking on that BUT it seems that the control system is quite different from the non remote ones. Lots of research to do BEFORE this hits the shop floor.

Bandmill Bandit

I do and will appreciate ALL input on this project.

Just so every one knows where my son and I come from as a team

First we are both lazy BUT hate in-efficiency with a passion. When we work we work as hard as we play and rest.  So we demand maximum performance from all equipment and systems we utilize in our work.

I am farmer at heart and a mechanic by trade. My son is a kid at heart and a electronics/computer engineer by trade with a robotics certificate. 

We are of pure German decent And this started out as an idea and then hmm this just might be feasible? To ok this is not only feasible and desirable to ok if we don't d o this we are not living up to our reputation in the family!

I hope you now understand the challenge that this has become for us and the height of the "imposed bar" that has been set (by us). Not because it is needed or wanted but because we can we must!

I know it silly but it is a project in which father and son will mentally spar and colaberate to make something work that is both useful and unique.

pineywoods

Bandit, I understand completely. I have already done most of what you are contemplating, only on an old lt40 manual. I elected to not hook the hydraulics (all home-made) to the remote, It looked to be of limited usefulness. I used an infra-red link with a hand-held remote, looks like a tv remote with 12 channels. The 12 outputs are small spdt relays which made the interfacing fairly easy. No auto clutch on my mill, so cobbled up one using a wheel chair motor driving a jackshaft. It all works reasonably well, but without some kind of setworks, it's of limited value. That project (setworks) is still in the engineering analysis stage (sitting around thinking about it). There's posts with pics in the sawmill and milling section...Working with a son on joint projects is priceless. Wish I could do that, but mine lives 150 miles away....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bandmill Bandit

Thanks piney!

Now I know that I am not the only nuts guy on here. Lol

I guess a brief discription of my mill Is in order.

2007 LT40HDG28 is how it started its life

It now has a high power green laser sight,
The LT40 Super feed motor up grade along with the second hydraulic pump and 3/8 hydraulic hose through out.

Simple Set installed.

The hydraulic system is live full time when I am running the mill. Manual board return and I run an extra 108 amp delco alternator connected to a 160 minute @ 20 amp draw crown marine battery when I am milling. When the mill head is on the cooper strip it has 220 ish amps alternator capacity available.

All the electric motor cables have been upgraded to #6 cooper cable and the cables that connect to the pumps, extra battery and alternator to the mill are 1/0 high grade welding cable.

I have also made fine adjust outrigger jacks and I have addded lights.

All those mods are previously described in this thread with pictures.

4x4American

ya know, I'd like to see what'd happen to an lt70 if you got your hands on it! lol
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on October 05, 2015, 06:46:02 PM
ya know, I'd like to see what'd happen to an lt70 if you got your hands on it! lol

Think I'd have to figure out a way to make that thing cut both directions.  ;D

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

deadfall

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on October 05, 2015, 08:35:44 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on October 05, 2015, 06:46:02 PM

Think I'd have to figure out a way to make that thing cut both directions.  ;D

I think a good mod would be to cut one direction forever.  The band would be a Möbius strip, and the logs would have to be from specially genetically modified trees.  The boards would not stack worth a darn and older carpenters would not like them.  But hey, you can't argue with progress.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

Unless it's progress in the wrong direction...and I like to argue everything!  Just my nature. lol
Boy, back in my day..

deadfall

Quote from: 4x4American on October 05, 2015, 09:57:43 PM
...and I like to argue everything!

My mom would say that my dad "would argue with a signpost."  That's kinda the way I remember it too.

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Me & my son are bit like that but in different dimension sort of.

Don't ever tell either of us something can't be done cause then we will for sure figure out a way to do it.

deadfall

Don't tell me not to tell you something can't be done! 

You see how these things get started?

Happy for no reason.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: deadfall on October 06, 2015, 10:17:10 AM
Don't tell me not to tell you something can't be done! 

You see how these things get started?

;D TOO true! But most often it just fun anyway!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

flatrock58

I made a notch to lock the compressed outrigger pin spring while I raise and lower the leg.  I might add another pin like Dangerous Dan and this would allow me to lock both or just one pin.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: flatrock58 on October 17, 2015, 10:59:04 PM
I made a notch to lock the compressed outrigger pin spring while I raise and lower the leg.  I might add another pin like Dangerous Dan and this would allow me to lock both or just one pin.

That is one that I have said a 100 times i need to do but never remember when i have the mill near or in the shop. you have motivated me to do it now.

Where dangerous Dan put the extra pin?

flatrock58

I need to file it flat on bottom since I just used a grinder.  Dangerous Dan added a pin  see: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45914.40.html

Here is a picture of his mod.  It gives you more stops for the outriggers.  You need three hands to hold both pins and move the outrigger up and down.   He fabricated a solution to hold the pins out, but I decided to just cut out a notch.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: flatrock58 on October 18, 2015, 01:29:30 PM
I need to file it flat on bottom since I just used a grinder.  Dangerous Dan added a pin  see: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45914.40.html

Here is a picture of his mod.  It gives you more stops for the outriggers.  You need three hands to hold both pins and move the outrigger up and down.   He fabricated a solution to hold the pins out, but I decided to just cut out a notch.

Thats a good one too but I just made me some fine adjust out rigger jacks using GMC spare tire jacks. I like em alot.   

Thank You Sponsors!