iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on March 28, 2016, 09:59:58 PM
Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to have to look into the tiny tach.  I don't see why a tach isn't standard!  Or at least an option.

I actually ordered mine from Kohler at the suggestion of my local Kohler service guy. Think it cost me 30 ish bucks. I'll get pic of it in the morning and post it here.

I am going to do the volt meter and a amp meter as well.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I agree, but I would know instantly by the engine sound if mine was off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2016, 10:23:39 PM
I agree, but I would know instantly by the engine sound if mine was off.

Yea MM I go by the sound too but of idle adjustments and the service tracking it is good to have. Also the accuracy does allow you to run closer to the margins I find. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I have a manual tach that I hold to the output shaft to measure the rpm's for idle and run.  The Lombardini has no exposed fuel lines so I do not see how a transducer tach could be installed.  There would have to be a magnet, etc and pickup arrangement used on either the fan or output end.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

MM I think they have one that is designed for that engine. not a 100 percent sure but if you interested it worth a check.

Heres a picture of my little guy.

Magicman

LINK to an older thread.  When the fuel leaves the primer pump it goes inside the engine to the injector pump, fuel lines, and injectors.  Nothing is exposed.

This seems to further indicate that a sending unit would have to be attached or a photo pickup be used.  This would only be a "gee wizz" thing because I have never seen a change in the rpm's.  I use an old military manual tach. for setting and adjusting the rpm's.

Dave Shepard

I don't see the need to check rpms during normal operation. If you are having problems, or have to make an adjustment, then a contact tach is sufficient. If you want the hour meter and have a gas engine, then it's just a bonus.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bandmill Bandit

Yea Dave you are right. I like the other features it has more than the RPM reading but I do find my self watching it more as get to the blade change time.

Probably more because its there than because I need it. Its pretty sensitive and you can see rpm drops of 5 or 10 rpm from cut to cut and when your blade are dulling it counts.

I cant state unequivocally that the tach has drastically reduced blade breakage for me BUT I do know that it is a factor because as soon as I notice a 20 to 30 RPM change in average cut RPM I change blades.

I know my sharpening skills are much improved as well which also helps.

MM: Could you post a pic of the the method you use for hooking your short chain and hook to the side support arms to move logs. i have chain and hook made. now just need to  see how you hook it up.
Thankyou   

Magicman

I do not recall having another picture and it will be Friday before I saw again.  As the above picture shows, when the side support is raised the log will be rolled toward the front of the sawmill.  Move the end tong to the other end and raise the side supports.  Now when the side supports are lowered the log will be pulled toward the back of the sawmill. 

Care must be taken because one wrong move and you know where the log will be.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Magicman on March 29, 2016, 06:03:49 PM

I do not recall having another picture and it will be Friday before I saw again.  As the above picture shows, when the side support is raised the log will be rolled toward the front of the sawmill.  Move the end tong to the other end and raise the side supports.  Now when the side supports are lowered the log will be pulled toward the back of the sawmill. 

Care must be taken because one wrong move and you know where the log will be.
good idea. How do you like the Lombardini engine?  How many hrs do you have on it?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

I turned 700 hours last week so it is a few over now.  The other option that I had was $3K more so I opted for this one.  I probably would do the same thing now.  This engine is OK, but there is a noticeable difference between it and the old turbo engine.  I can load this one down but I never ever loaded the old turbo down.

Bandmill Bandit

yes MM I can see how that works and i can understand how you can drop if off the wrong side.

What I am wondering is how you attach the chain to the side support?

Don't need to know today. I just started the annual in the shop maintenance session and will do any minor mods while it in the shop.

Material handling on out feed is the upgrade project for this year.

Magicman

It's not actually attached.  Just looped around and hooked tight.

ScottCC

I have contacted woodmizer for metal mizer parts that I hope will rotate the blade on a wm lt15 wide 90deg.  Why?  So that I can convert the band mill to a band mill cut off saw.  WM has the best platform  in the mp100 lt15 wide tracks.  Can't wait to put together to have serious value added cabin logs for spec houses.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

4x4American

That sounds neat, I hope you keep us updated with pictures!
Boy, back in my day..

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ScottCC on April 12, 2016, 08:34:35 PM
I have contacted woodmizer for metal mizer parts that I hope will rotate the blade on a wm lt15 wide 90deg.  Why?  So that I can convert the band mill to a band mill cut off saw.  WM has the best platform  in the mp100 lt15 wide tracks.  Can't wait to put together to have serious value added cabin logs for spec houses.

How wide and heavy of a blade will you be using?  Twisting it 90° will put a lot of stress on it. :o  Can't you do just 45° like a metal band saw does?  The head is at 45° and the 45° blade twist and gets you to 90°.  Or are you planning on just leaving the head alone and using the normal up/down function to make the cuts?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

This will be interesting. :o   :P

4x4American

So if I'm following correctly, you're gonna be crosscutting to square up cabin logs to spec? 
Boy, back in my day..

ozarkgem

I would think a Beam saw or a Beam cutter attachment for your Skilsaw would be faster.
Just my thinking.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

Or a Electreic chain saw with a lond blade mounted on the side of your mill.

http://morganchopsaw.com/electric-chain-bar-cut-off-saw/
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bandmill Bandit

Made hook to connect the MM chain to when I need to adjust a log on the mill.

Chuck White

Looks good, Bandit, just have to be careful not to overdo it and break something!   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hey, that is a good idea.   smiley_idea

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Chuck White on April 19, 2016, 09:27:33 AM
Looks good, Bandit, just have to be careful not to overdo it and break something!   smiley_thumbsup

Thanks Smiley

I used a 3/8ths mild steel eye bolt that is not welded closed so it will give.

I picked up 2 and tried the first 1 to see how hard it would pull before it bends.

If something catches it will bend open.

Also I drilled the little hole just below the roller out to 5/16 and threaded it to 3/8 NC so that eye bolt screws right into the side support and that is a 3/8ths beaner that I use to hook the chain to.

Chuck White

That should keep you safe, Bandit!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!