iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

As per a tip I took delivery of in GA, on the Yanmars, the exhaust isn't far enough above the intake and will clog the filter.  The exhaust need to be approximately 6" above the intake.

Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

Nice, just have to watch you overhead clearance when moving the mill.

Second option would be to put a 45° or 90° elbow on the exhaust pipe in order to get the exhaust away from the intake!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

It's well below the mast when the headrig is at 1".  The stainless steel bandclamp I used I've found likes to blind me when the sun is behind me lol

Ya try to be fancy and that's what happens...I might just take a crayola crayon to it, that oughta fix it
Boy, back in my day..

DR Buck

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 19, 2016, 09:21:10 AM

Made hook to connect the MM chain to when I need to adjust a log on the mill.

OK  I'm confuised.   smiley_headscratch    What is this all about?    What's MM chain?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

4x4American

Magicman chain, he has a cant hook or half a log tong at the end of the chain and uses the side supports to move the cant fore or aft
Boy, back in my day..

OneWithWood

C'mon, David, do try and keep up  :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

petefrom bearswamp

I use my roller toe boards and my tail man.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 27, 2016, 05:10:40 PM
I use my roller toe boards and my tail man.

My tail man is in his 70s and he is good. But moving heavy logs is just a PITA. This just make life so much easier. 

I still have some finishing touches to put on my chain and I am re doing my FAO's.

The spare tire change jacks work good but they are not designed for every day use. And i have had to replace 2 of them already.

I found a manufacturer that builds custom jacks and the owner of the company hooked me up with his Alberta distributor.  I got em for same price as OEMs pay for them and about 20 minutes per jack of modification work and they are installed in about 5 more minutes.

The 2 middle ones will take a bit more work. Gross combined jack weight capacity will be 15 tons. I think that should be sufficient   

YES I will get pics up but may be the week end before they show up.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

New jack out of the box

Disassembled wit hthe 2 holes driled ready to instal on the mill

More pics tomorrow.
Can I upload a short video of my junior apprentice? I did try and it wouldn't load.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 30, 2016, 10:01:51 AM
New jack out of the box

Disassembled wit hthe 2 holes driled ready to instal on the mill

More pics tomorrow.
Can I upload a short video of my junior apprentice? I did try and it wouldn't load.

You can't upload videos directly to the Forestry Forum.

You have to upload them to YouTube and then post a link to the video on the forum page.

Perhaps someone can provide more info about how to do the link so the video will show on the Forum page instead of just looking like a link.

Herb

Magicman

This is not an actual modification but an addition.

See it?  It's the little blue thing on the lid.

Yup a stick-on moisture resistant analog "clock".  Clock  This should be handy when sawing hourly rate, plus I could even check it to know when to eat lunch.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 08, 2004, 07:01:12 PM
I'm really pleased to see so many useful mods posted on this thread.  Some I never thought of.   (where's that wacky guy that put sled runners under his LT15?)

But I never intended this thread to be mods exclusively for and on Wood-Mizer mills.  Surely some of you Timber-King,  Baker, Peterson, Double Cut, etc. owners have made some mods to your mills also. Tell us about them..

The above is quoted from page 4 of this thread. (Check the date). A bit later on someone suggested that maybe other mills were perfect when they came from the factory. This may come as a shock to some people, but my Harbor Freight mill came from the factory in a state just a tad shy of perfection.

The clamp screw is too long when you get near the capacity of the mill.

Laying it down low enough to stop interfering with the carriage leaves you with not much holding an 18 -20 in. diameter log.

So...

Same log. Same clamp position. No more interference.

Bibbyman also suggested that if anyone posted mods elsewhere to try to recreate the posts in this thread. The above info was mixed in with a bunch of other non-mod stuff in this thread . Will distill some more out of that for here tomorrow.
Find something to do that interests you.

barbender

You guys with lathes at your disposal are cheating ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Quote from: barbender on May 26, 2016, 11:51:22 PM
You guys with lathes at your disposal are cheating ;)

Yup, it sure does.

Nice job there Grouch, thanks for posting.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

grouch

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Hey, the only thing I did with that lathe was put a point on the rod. The threading was done by die and elbow grease.

Czech_Made, need more photos of that setup!

Czech_Made

1" shafting from garage door opener was used to slide dogs on, 1" apart 1/4" holes allow to pin the dog in place.  The idea was to have more dog sets - that i did not make yet - and use what fits the log/cut better.

The 1-5  ACME threaded rod moves the log up and down:

The right dog on this picture is right angle, but I have to make a long bracket for cants, the dog is too short to hold it well.

There is suprisingly strong force pushing the log to the side when cutting.

Czech_Made

Oh, and the dogs are piece of 1" DOM tubing - that was for my sidecar :( -  with a tube or square tube welded to it at right angle with 1/2"-13 nut welded to the end.

I also thought about using lag screws to hold the log to the cross beam - from the bottom, two at each end.  With some vedges, it could work.

grouch

That log lifting mechanism is what really caught my eye. Thanks for the info!

I'm still puzzling over a good all-around clamping system. Obviously the old dogs that you hammer into the log and into wooden bunks are not the best or they'd still be used a lot. All non-hydraulic clamping means that I've seen are variations on screws or cams.

grouch

The HF mill comes with enough track to cut a 9 ft 2 inch log. There are rumors that owners of other sawmills can call up the manufacturer or dealer and just order extra track. Might just be internet myth, though.

I acquired some W beams some years ago in anticipation of making a bandsaw sawmill from scratch. They weren't my first choice for a track, but they were cheap.

Have to join a pair together, so... brackets!

Original track spacing, outside to outside
Extension to match:

Bolt it together

Fiddle with strings and blocks and levels and a grinder for a while

Then roll beyond the green tracks (don't forget to reposition the carriage stops!)

Since the 9'-2" maximum includes space for the carriage before and after the cut, anything added to the existing tracks is all usable cutting distance.

I added 13'-6" so my length of cut is now 22'-8". Now I just have to find and move some logs that long.

Czech_Made

We are of one blood, you and I, grouch  ;D

I can just see myself coming up with similar solutions to your needs. ;D

4x4American

The drivers side cover busted off the handle and the dust shield collector unit mabobber..I welded the chute thingy, nothing special, but I wasn't sure if the handles were weldable with my wire feeder and solid wire and argon/c02...so I tried it, and it worked...really noting special but I figured that if someone had same problem it might be good to know u can weld it.

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Had to fix mine too. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Obviously something happened that was not supposed to happen ??   ???

Ga Mtn Man

I can't see why you would need to do this.  Please explain. ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!