iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shake

Started by laffs, October 27, 2010, 07:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laffs

ive been cutting some hemlock from my neighbors lot(yes he knows) this is for my sawmill. so far ive cut around 5000 feet id say more than half has shake. i want to cut more but i dont want the shake. is there any tell tail sign to look for. other than seames in the trees
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Phorester

Ring shake is a well known defect in hemlock in my area.  Maybe somebody else knows, but to my knowledge, there is no known way to tell if a tree has it or not.  The local millers here just accept that it occurs and buy very little hemlock and pay very little for it because of this.

Okrafarmer

I looked in the dictionary for a definition of shake, and didn't find it there. Can someone please define it, and maybe we can add it to the dictionary, too?

Hemlocks were my favorite climbing tree as a kid-- lots of nice, horizontal, nicely spaced branches with no sticky pitch. The big ones were often some of the tallest trees around there in my part of central Maine (along with big white pines, and so on, where they weren't all logged out). I would like to climb the taller hemlocks around our place and I could see out over the green blanket of trees for miles-- from the old railroad feed mill in the east (defunct by that time) to the SD Warren Scott Paper plant's exhaust plume in the west. My sisters never knew where I was and I could be alone with my thoughts for hours until the branches started being uncomfortable.

My dad considered hemlocks to be the biggest weeds known to mankind (only bigger in size than the even more loathed popple). But he did find it useful as a structural timber wood and so on. Sometimes we burned it for firewood, though it was certainly not our first choice.

Oh, sorry to go sentimental and tangental on you when the real issue here is shake. What is shake?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Shake. A separation along the grain, the greater part of which occurs between the rings of annual growth.  
Similar to how an onion separates.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdtuttle

Have a great day

thecfarm

You have got into some bad hemlock.Hemlock has really got a bad name for shake.I've cut quite a bit of it on my own land.Some I've sold and some I've cut on my mill.When I do see shake,I just start to butt it about 4 feet.I don't recall ever going more than 2 cuts on the ones that looked good standing.There was some trees that did not look good and it went as pulp.I feel you should be able to see it as soon as you can see the end of the tree.The rings will look like they are separating.Some of these trees were 70 years old too.I'm really only guessing here,but if I've cut 100 trees only 10 had to be cut 8 feet to rid of the shake.That's not counting the once I knew was no good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

From The SAF Dictionary of Forestry

shake

1. a fissure or crack in a log or stem that follows a growth ring for some distance 2. a longitudinal fissure or crack in lumber resulting from stresses that caused the wood fibers to separate along the grain and not extending in the converted piece from one surface to another —see growth stress 3. a thin section split from a bolt used for roofing or weatherboarding —see shingle —see windshake
This definition last updated 08/04/2008
~Ron

laffs

jay if they even take it now it has to be cut to 8' now. i dont know of any mill that takes tree length now.
a lot of this stuff im cutting now is over 27" so they wont take it for pulp anyway. most of them average about 500bf each.
theres just a ton of shake in the area im cutting now.he has about 50 acres of it, hope its not all like that.
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Thank You Sponsors!