iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a bandsaw mill

Started by Pattern Maker 437, February 23, 2013, 03:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pattern Maker 437

Hi ! I'm a new member and first time on a forum.
I've been reading some of the posts here for a while , this looks like a great place to get information. I've  been looking at the WM Lt35hyd. are there any members out there with any experience with these ? Or should i step up to the Lt40,(a proven design),money is as always an object.
I hopefully will be cutting every thing from Montana pine and fir to western Oregon maple and oak, or whatever I can get my hands on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

WM LT35HDG25, Stil 046 Mag. & MS170
Complete wood & metal shop. I'm a tool nut

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

I have experience with the LT40 manual and Super Hydraulic mills. I think you need to have a good idea as to how much milling you want to do, and how fast you want to do it. There is no issue with quality between the LT 35 and the 40 series, just bells and whistles.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I have no experience with the LT35, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Pattern Maker 437.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SPD748

Welcome to the forum! There are many, many Woodmizer owners here. I'm sure one with a 35 will come along.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

drobertson

Welcome Pattern maker, this might be a hard one to call, I really like my 40 super, don't know much about the 35's, as mentioned, depends on how much sawing, and what all you are looking for in the mill,  Hope the best for you and your search,  I'm sure you will find a workable solution,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

I like my LT35 manual.  I don't cut for others, at least I have not yet.  I have the 25 hp gas engine and it does what I have ask it to.  The Simple set works work well and are hand when repeating the same board thickness.  I did get the deck package and glad I did. I work alone much of the time and the turner allows me to roll logs I could not handle with a cant hook. 
I think the size of cuts is a bit smaller on the 35 than the 40 however I have only had to cut a log down a couple of times.

If you can find some folks in your area with each mill and go visit. Your WM dealer may be able to help you with contacts.

Pattern Maker 437

Thanks for the replies. I really don't know how much i will be cutting. I want to get a mill I can grow into. I will not be able to retire for awile, so this will be a weekend ,eve. whenever type endever.I think I need hydraulics to handle the logs, as I will be working by myself most times.
Thanks again,  Paul

thecfarm

I have an all manual mill,They are ALOT of work. But I don't saw much. Last time it sat for 3 years with just about no sawing. There was no way that I could justify hyd,BUT I do have a tractor to help out with the turning,BUT that is wicked slow. I brought the mill for my own use.A hyd mill is some nice. Ever been around a mill before? Welcome to the forum too. There should be some shows in your area to see a WM in motion.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Pattern, I have to agree with the hydraulics,  its' more upfront cost, but I have to believe well worth the money, I work alone most of the time, and it goes without saying, time is money, in the sense that if you have a project planned, and then an evening out, you can get more done in the day with the hydraulic mill.   Keep looking and studying, it will all jell in due time.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Lud

Welcome to the forum.  I worked with guys in the NAPL years before they went with the IAM.

I have a manual mill and work solo mostly.  The pace is slower and you focus on the sawing so it is good for learning the process.  It also depends on the supports of other equipment and storage and log source.

Go visit a sawyer near you...maybe tail for him to get a taste.  Keep reading here.  Y'know there's guys selling manual mills when they move up to the pricey, complicated ones.  Buy one of those  since you could always sell it for close to the same money.  Manual mills are gateways to a sawdust addiction!! 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Pattern Maker 437

drobertson

Must have something to do with pattern making? or a similar trade,  I was wondering if you made patterns for castings or the like as well.  david

Pattern Maker 437

Yes, for, you guessed it 37 years, and counting
interesting work , lots of pump impellers and volutes, even made a scale model of a section of the East Bay  bridge

drobertson

My uncle Jess use to design patterns for the pile driving industry years ago,  It is a fasinating trade, I know very little about it, but can appreciate it, coming from an injection molding back ground, getting the shrink is always a challenge, specially when thick and thin sections are closely involved with each other,  I still think you would be happier with a hydraulic mill in the long run, it is true you could resell a smaller one, but I believe once you get to sawing you will want to hang on to it for awhile,  just my opinion,   catch up on your progress later,  david

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Paul.

This is really a great place.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Pattern Maker 437

just Googled IAM,  International Association of Machinists
I started my aprenticeship in the metal side of the shop, mostly tracers and Bridgeports then, now it's all CNC, even the wood side is becoming  all Cad/Cam
David, I agree, price per month ( since i have to finance) is not that much differrent
Thanks again for all the replys and welcomes, Paul

millwright

I have an LT35 hyd. It is a real workhorse and alot easier to use than my old LT30 manual,I havent had any serious problems with it after cutting about 50,000 bd ft. The service from WM has been great they are good people to deal with.

Pattern Maker 437

Thanks millwright, i think thats where i'm headed

WoodenHead

I don't have the LT35, but I do have the younger brother the LT28.

Woodmizer can better tell you the differences, but from my research into the LT40 here are the major differences and similarities:

1.   The 2 plane clamp, toe rollers, hydraulic loading arms, claw turner, hydraulic pump and the mill bed itself are the same between an LT35H and an LT40H.  Essentially you get the exact same hydraulic system and features.  That's how they're similar.
2.  The LT35 and the LT40 masts, drive and head are considerably different.  The LT35 head is much like the LT28 head.  There is no hydraulic blade tensioner, no automatic blade guide movement, no autoclutch, no lubemizer, and no option for drag back on the LT35.  The drive motors for the LT35 are lighter than the LT40 (but I hear this is changing??).  The debarkers are not the same, but at least both mills can be fitted for one.  The head/mast are at their maximum for weight on the LT35 (particularly with diesel and debarker options), but at the bottom of the scale for the LT40 (so I'm told).
3.  The LT35 has simple setworks and that is it.  There are no options for AccuSet or different operator positions (command center or operator seat).

You'll have to ask yourself how important are some of the extra features that you can get for the LT40.  You may find that the LT35 is the best bang for your buck depending on how you are going to use the mill  ;) 

MAI

Hi Patter Maker 437,
Welcome to the FF.  I don't have any mill experience but our members sure do.  They're a great bunch of people with a wealth of knowledge.  If I can be of any help please let me know.

MReinemann

I love my 35hyd. Came down to price for me.  I do some sawing for others and customers are always happy with the product.

giant splinter

Pattern Maker 437
You are very close to the Oregon Wood-Mizer store, stop in and visit them and let the guys that can steer you in the right direction show you first hand how they work and what they cost.
roll with it

Pattern Maker 437

I've been to the Wood-Mixer shop 3 or 4 times, bugged James for several hours giant splinter , yes good people. I think the 35hyd is where i'm headed, but the mast configuration is a concern. the material size looks the same, but spacing is quite different. woodenhead is your info from a WM owner?
this afternoon I put some money down to hold a price i was quoted,-- january sale price + discount  on factory installed debarker  OO-boy!
Thanks all,  Paul

giant splinter

Great choice ........ should cover your every need
roll with it

Lud

PLNA???   Patternmakers League of  North America  or was it   NAPL ?  North American Patternmakers' League.  They represented the guys in Ford plants here and in Canada.

They were absorbed into the larger IAM fifteen or so years ago.  Didn't change the negotiation issues much..just the players.

It's good to know patternmakers when you need something made precisely......................just don't get in an argument with them! :D :D   They're as bad as engineers!

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!