iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An excellent read for foresters

Started by Clark, November 18, 2015, 11:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

There are very few books, articles or magazines that I personally recommend as excellent reading material to others. I recently came across this gem and highly recommend it to all foresters and even land owners who are very interested in forest management. In fact, I would say this is a must read for foresters and I don't say that often.

It was written by a forester who worked in Missouri for Pioneer Forest, I think in the 50's and 60's. You can view and/or download the 1979 issue of the Missouri Conservationist here:

http://cdm.sos.mo.gov/cdm/compoundobject/collection/moconserv/id/3102/rec/1

The article is "I Think On It Often" and it starts on page 20. Enjoy!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Texas Ranger

I met Charles Kirk in the '60's, I believe, he would give the  Mizzou forestry class a tour of the pioneer
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mesquite buckeye

Clearly written from the heart and mind of a forester who never stopped learning. I think I could have called him friend. I know these thoughts and feelings from visits to my own forests. I have learned bunches from what doesn't work from my own experience and a few things that did.

Thanks for posting this. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

g_man

Thank you Clark - Well worth the read.

Clark

Glad you guys have enjoyed it.

TR - Interesting that you met him! A friend of mine worked for Pioneer and while Charles Kirk had retired several decades prior to his arrival, he said that the legend lived on. Sounds like he would have been a great guy to sit and talk forestry with.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

petefrom bearswamp

I am a retired forester and would love to read this article, but when I clicked the link the print was too small for my tired old eyes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

pete
The print can be enlarged either with "ctrl +" or using the magnifier on the page. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clark

SAF Certified Forester

bhall

Clark, thank you for a fantastic read. No doubt I will reflect on that often.
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

WDH

Clark,

Thank you.  I read it, and my shoulder started itching.  I think that more people need a shoulder that itches. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

Glad you guys have enjoyed it. I agree more people, foresters in particular, need a shoulder that itches!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

petefrom bearswamp

Just read this.
A very good read.
1979 was the year before I made my my 6th career change and became  a consulting forester which lasted nearly 26 years and the points are still valid today.
Kinda makes my shoulder itch.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!