iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Wood Splitters

Started by AtLast, February 28, 2004, 11:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

I also have a HUSKEE 5.5 hp 27 ton....works great....adapted a multi split wedge onto it that can easily be put on or taken off...its a 4 way splitter and works great.

RSteiner

I am considering the purchase of a log splitting device other than the axe and maul I have used for the past 30 years, the old elbows can't take the abuse like they once did.

I have looked at hydraulic powered units and used one several times.  My only problem is they seem to be a little slow, I can split the easy stuff twice as fast by hand.  

I have also looked at a flywheel driven rack and pinion splitter called a Super Split.  The cycle time is only 4 seconds most hydraulic splitters are in the 12 second or more range.  The faster cycle time appeals to me.

I like the fact of not having hydraulic fluid, lines, and valves to worry about.  Just a motor and a couple of drive belts power the super split.  

I would be greatful for any advice you folks might have. :P
Thanks,
Randy
Randy

Corley5

I've got a hydraulic one that I bought at Tractor Supply a couple seasons ago.  It's 25 tons with a Honda 5.5hp engine.  I couldn't be happier with it.  It'll split in either the vertical or horizontal position too which is nice for really big wood.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rebocardo

>  My only problem is they seem to be a little slow,
> I can split the easy stuff twice as fast by hand.  

When I tell people that they always laugh or think I am telling a tall one. What is worse is if it does not have a four way wedge and you have to split the same log four+ times.

The only thing I would worry about a flywheel driven one is exposed parts, if they are. I would look at something that automatically retracts at the end of the cycle. Other than that, I know nothing about log splitters.

wiam

I have seen a Super Split at a show and thought it to be a nice unit, but a little pricey.  It does split fast and retracts automatically.  Some tougher blocks took two hits.

When someone tells me they can split wood faster with a maul,  I tell them that I can split it longer with my hydraulic splitter.

Will

Ron Scott

I've got an hydraulic one, also from Tractor Supply. Its the 20 Ton Husky. It has been a good unit so fair with a couple seasons use. It goes fast enough for me to keep up with it.

Visit Tractor Supply in the early fall during their "demo days" and try one out. They also offer them at a discount price then.
That's when I got mine.

~Ron

Minnesota_boy

QuoteWhen someone tells me they can split wood faster with a maul,  I tell them that I can split it longer with my hydraulic splitter.

Will
I'll bet I can split wood longer with my Woodmizer.  Works pretty fast too on the longer green cuts.  I prefer to split it in 16 foot lengths and pile it that way, for later chainsawing into blocks.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

wiam

:D :D :D
MB not exactly what I meant by longer but it would work.

Will

Ed_K

I run an American 4' splitter, its on 3pt hitch and runs off the tractor hydro's. Split it 4' and stack for drying, then cut to length. It doesn't alway's go all the way to split either. Its vertical so if you can't pick up a heavy stick, just cut it to 16" and process. I also have an old truck frame with a wood rack and 16" slots to cut to length, and a 24" splitter on the end. I cut, roll the piece down to the splitter, and into the elevator, which started as a hay elevator. This starts with 8' or 12' logs, and processed to what ever length is ordered. This is slower than the 4' tho.
Ed K

RSteiner

Thanks for the advice.  I know what you all mean when you say you can split longer with a mechanical device over a maul.

I have seen a couple of Super Splits work.  One was 15 years old and averaged 120 cord of wood a year with only a drive belt change.  They tend to be 300 or 400 more than a hydraulic model.

There is a Logging Expo coming up the end of April in Springfield, Mass.  I think I can get a show special which will soften the blow some.

Randy
Randy

Pete J

If you plan on selling firewood. Get the fastest cycle time machine you can afford. I spent many, many days this summer splitting the leftovers from our sawmilling operation with a 14 second cycle time machine. After I figured out the time I spent vs. the money I made it ended up being less than $10 an hour.
Not gonna make that mistake again.
The super splitter looks nice.  I'm gonna check it out at the Springfield Mass logging show. We are gonna have a booth there in the Better Living Center. Stop by and say hi.

chet

I have a 20 ton hydraulic that I bought from Fleet Farm in 1980, it's was built by Speeco. It is one purchase I have absolutely never regretted.  If I split the amount of wood this splitter has split over the years I think I'd either look like Hulk Hogan or my arms would be totally shot.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Mark M

I bought one from Baileys. It does a good job but it's big and heavy. Course so am I so I guess that makes us even. :D

shopteacher

I have a 20 ton that I picked up at Northern Hyd. (now Nothern Tool) It's been a great machine but for production I think it would be kind of slow. If buying a hyd. model the greater the pump gpm the faster the cycle time.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Lenny_M

Them supersplits are nice and fast,But be careful,once the cycle starts you can`t stop it :o
 I made A hyd,splitter with new componants from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company For about $500. without the tank and cyl.
 5 HP. 13.6GPM 2 stage pump, 3 1/2" cyl. with 2 1/2 shaft. Reasonably fast split speed and fast retract speed.
 Great for most stuff but a bit under powered on the really ugley stuff, The ones you don~t really want to pick up anyway.
 One thang to consider is working height.Waist height works great for me, easy on the back.
 I`ve used some that are low and your always bent over, A few hours and your beat.
                                       Lenny_m

redpowerd

ne1 got a webpage for one of them supersplits?
ive never seen em, been lookin thru old s+w mags, but cant find em. thanks
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

johnjbc

I have had 2 from Tractor Supply. The first was borrowed in the middle of the night about 10 years ago ::) ::). I replaced it with a 3 point hitch module that can be converted from horizontal to vertical. I use vertical because I don't have to lift large donuts. 8) 8)
I'm not sure how many tons of force it has but the cylinder is 4" x 24". :P
Worked OK on my Case 530 but was a little slow. I now run it off the hydraulic pack that used to run the barn cleaner. It is fast, never gets stopped even in a stringy crotch. It will cut 5" oak limbs crossways. 8) 8)
As for splitting faster by hand. If you have nice straight Oak and the first year of your age is 4 or less you can go pretty fast, :) until you hit a knot or crotch and need to get out the wedges. >:( >:(
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

SwampDonkey

I have a home-made wood splitter with a 10.5 HP snow blower motor on it. Its fast enough for me to split a piece, have it return, and ready after I throw the split chunks into the cellar hole. Personally I like the speed of mine because when you hurry at something, you end up injuring yourself. This unit doesn't make you hurry at your work, just my pace. Oh and it only cost $600 to make, which is a nice price too.  When you have alot of free-lance weldors and mechanics in an area you can get stuff done cheep. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Blue9R

The Timberwolf splitter with the 6-way wedge is my entry for favorite wood splitter.  It's rated at an 8 second cycle time, 28 tons with an 18 hp Honda engine.

Course, the purchase of a TW-6 is somewhere out in the future, probably 2-3 days after I cash in that winning lottery ticket!

Check out the video clip of the 6-way wedge in action on the bottom of the Timberwolf web page.

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/tw6/tw6.htm

ADfields

I have a 35 ton with a 8hp brigs and a single 8 inch wide blade.   I have had guys tell me they can go faster with a ax.   I say bet ya a hundred you cant!   I can do 6 cords in around 4 hours with it if I have good rounds to work with because I know how to do it. ;)   I plant my but on a round and stand the splitter upright in front of me so I don't need to lift even the small stuff.  I don't cycle it all the way every time, 4 or 5 inch is all you need most of the time.  I half the round, spin it and take a 2nd chop that makes 2- 1/2's into 4- 1/4's in one stroke. ;)   It may look slow but when was the last time you split 6 cord before lunch! ;) ;)
Andy

isawlogs

Lenny
 you can stop the super split  all you got to do is hit the control arm down ....

RSteiner
  I got one of them they do split fast, if you do get one make sure that no parts come loose on the ram even the smallest wear on the bolts can cause the rack and pionion to take out a tooth ...( personal experience ).then your into mula...... other then that they are a good machine keep it greased and they will split with the best....
 I put a hitch on it and haul it around with the atv...  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ADfields

redpowerd, hear is the link for Super Split. ;)

http://www.ripsaw.com/gfx.html

Looks like a very good setup but I wonder about a couple three things.   First is what will it do with say 20" green soggy Birch?   I split out my birch so it will dry and not go punky in the very wet Alaska summers, so will it do it or be a battle?   2nd is what do you do when by your self splitting that 20" green soggy Birch?   I mean it looks like you cant stand at the blade and hit the lever so the chunks would need to be picked up from the ground for the next wack and so on ???   3rd what kind of cords an hour rate can a guy get after he gets a system down on this thing?  I know it cycles faster but as a hole how fast is it?
Andy

Frank_Pender

I have a unit that I designed that can split 6' lilly pads down into kindling.   There are three splitters on one power head, a 20 hp Wisconsin propane powered engine.  One unit
 runs horizontal, second runs vertical and the third (kindling spliter) runs horizontal.   All are attatched to a 3/4 ton Ford axel.  I have found a block I could not split.   8)  

The vertical unit has a 20" lazy susan to place the blocks.   The horizontal unit has a permanent 4 way wedge as opposed to the vertrical which is a single wedge.  the kindling splitter is a box like setup similer to a cabage slicer with a box placed on top of the knives.

I now have the horizontal unit set up to split 36" logs for the Taylor hotwater furnaces, but all three units use to cycle in 5 seconds.
Frank Pender

HORSELOGGER

I had a 20 ton Speeco up til last summer, when I replaced it with a Supersplitt. It will go as fast as your hands can move, and I have to stop to take a break at times cuz the machine can work me into the ground! The opposite was true with the hydraulic unit, it was just sooooo slooow. As far as chasing pieces falling on the ground, the unit has a nice production table, so when splitting a big piece, I pop it in half, then set it at the edge of the table while I split up one half at a time. For real speed, I load up the bucket of my skidloader with rounds , raise the bucket to a comfortable level next to the splitter and rock! I have a pretty good bundled firewood contract each summer and sell a little delivered firewood all winter. I also added a Mountain Valley bundler last year and it was well worth the price of addmission in time savings. One thing I will say though.... I never was able to stick the old hydeaulic unit, no matter how nasty a crotch piece I threw at it, however, I can stick the supersplitt if I dont read the grain right.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

RSteiner

Once again thanks for all the comments and advice. :)

A friend who purchased a Super Split last year visited with us this weekend.  They split about 100 cord last year.  This guy is 60 years old and he told me he can split a cord in about an hour if the wood is stacked right next to him.

I looked at the Timber Wolf splitters except for the smallest model they were all more expensive than the Super Split model I am looking at.  The faster cycle times and the work height of the splitter are the attractive features.

I realy enjoy generating the fire wood pile every year and help a friend or two with there winter wood.  The wife doesn't share my passion in the wood work so getting the job done quicker is a plus.  The Super Split unit is a much smaller package than most of the Hydraulic splitters I have looked at.

I considered a 3PH model but they tie up the tractor bucket for feeding the splitter or other chores.  I like to split everything I cut from 4" diameter up so it will dry faster, I save cut wood down to 1" in diameter.  If I cycle a Super Split 100 cycles per day when splitting at 4 seconds per cycle versus an 9 second cycle on the Timber Wolf I looked at that figures out to 50 more cycles or splits.  I think that is somewhere around 80 minute time saving per 100 cycles.  

Randy
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!