iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Splitters

Started by mizerman, January 23, 2018, 07:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizerman

Hi all,
I am in the process of buying a log splitter and looking at 2 different models. The Eastonmade 12-22 and the Woodmizer FS350. Does anyone here have one of these and if so could you give me your opinion on it. Thanks

47sawdust

No experience with either one.I'm not impressed with the WM block style splitter.The design and finished product just seems a little goofy.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

york

Hi,
I am on my 5th splitter and just got the 22-28 Eastonmade splitter,this is a machine,wow..
We have some shows coming up,go and look at all the splitters....

The WM splitter was the Tempest splitter,they took them over,i am not a fan of that style of machine...
Albert

gasman1075

I have had a few Timberwolfs TW-5 currently and have had great luck and good customer service when I broke something.
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Weesa20

I have looked at the WM. I feel like ever block needs to be cut perfectly flush/vertical or else the small/low pusher could cause the block to rise up, and pusher will slip under the block. I know every piece I cut is perfectly flush, but other guys might cut on an angle every once in a while.

Eastonmade are supposed to be outstanding but I have not seen one.

stavebuyer

I have the Eastonmade 22-28 and bought his very 1st new style box wedge. The machine is impressive and the adjustable box wedge is a game changer. We lower it for small stove size splits and raise it all the way up for boiler wood.

I have a Dyna SC14 processor, Supersplit HD, and a Skid Steer mounted inverted Ramsplitter as well. The Eastonmade is my go to machine and touches 80% of all my firewood. I use it for everything the Dyna and Supersplit can't handle as well as for resplitting from the processor. If the log will fit through the Dyna (+/-16") I use it to cut the blocks and split them in half. They are pushed onto a steel table and I feed the half rounds off the table into the Eastonmade 22-28 with the adjustable box wedge and they adjustable size splits drop directly onto a Eastonmade STK 24' conveyor. Only time I touch the wood is a half turn from the steel table onto the Eastonmade 22-28.

If the log is too large or gnarly for the Dyna;  I chain saw it and roll it onto the Eastonmade log loader. There is no log that will stop a Eastonmade 22-28. It will split, cut, or crush whatever is in front of it. 

Most my of customers have indoor wood stoves and prefer the wood to be split small like packaged wood. The 4-way is too large of a split for indoor stoves unless you have very small diameter logs. The regular six way wedges on both the Dyna and Eastonmade don't produce uniform splits like the box wedge does. Most my logs are 12"-18" in diameter and nothing but a box wedge will get them down to the size I need without resplitting. The only real downside to the box wedge is that it produces a lot more trash from the outside wedges.

mizerman

Thanks for the replys,i ordered the eastonmade splitter with 6 way wedge and the box wedge,will let you all know how it works out,thanks again

jimbarry

I got the same EastonMade 12-22 splitter. Running it today, made a short video while splitting with the box wedge. 

20180125 splitting firewood - YouTube

hedgerow

Quote from: mizerman on January 28, 2018, 08:03:17 PM
Thanks for the replys,i ordered the eastonmade splitter with 6 way wedge and the box wedge,will let you all know how it works out,thanks again
Kept us in the loop when you get your new toy up and making firewood. I sure like his design on the box wedge were its adjustable and it can be changed out to a single, four way, or a six way. Looking at the other box wedge splitter's you locked in to the wedge size.  

Thank You Sponsors!