iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 261 or 346XP

Started by s grinder, March 16, 2012, 10:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s grinder

Getting ready to purchase new saw,looking at Stihl MS261,or Husky 346XP,going to use it for limbing and bucking from 10" down ,going to run a 16" bar,dealer says both are good,looking for input.Hoping it's not going to be a Ford VS. Chevy thing.Was also looking at a Husky 353 non pro but don't think it would cut the mustard. Thanks Joe

Buck

Glad its you and not me. Both are so good!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Clam77

I'd go with the MS261 - little more power if should ever want to run an 18" bar or just for the extra torque on that 16". 

Always go a little bigger if you can afford it - you'll be thankful down the road.   ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

redlaker1

dont count the 353 out  thats what I use,  with an 18" bar and narrow kerf chain.   was always saying I would get a bigger saw,  but I always go back to the 353.   has worked well for me. 
one thing though is there are no hardwoods here,  not sure how much more power you need for those

drilldog

If you go to their websites it will give you the specs on both saws. The Stihl is .1cc larger and claims .05bhp more & the Husky claims .6lbs lighter. Extremely close in comparison. They both recommend 20" bar max. Good luck. You could always buy 1 of each and share your findings with us. :) 

lumberjack48

Theres one advantage with a Husky, if somebody steals it you can see it when they hide it in the woods.  :D  This happened to me, if it would have been a Stihl i don't think i would have seen it.

20 yrs ago i would say Stihl, which one feels better in your hands, best deal, best service, best warranty, ect.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Reddog

I stayed away from the 261 because of some clutch end bearing/crankshaft failures. Also I have started having oil and fuel cap failures on the stihl's. The whole flip bar breaking off.

So my choice was the 346xpg and I am real happy with how it handles and pulls in the cut.

AdkStihl

This should get interesting........... popcorn_smiley

Hardwood....or softwood ???
J.Miller Photography

gspren

Earlier this winter I had the same question and ended up with the 261 mostly because I have a good saw dealer that sells Stihl and would have had to get a Husky from a lawn mower dealer that pushed the home owner models. The 261 with a 16" bar and the yellow link chain has worked well and the power really came on after about 3 tanks of fuel through it. If there had been a good Husky dealer around I am not sure which way I would have went. Good luck and report back.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

John Mc

Quote from: gspren on March 17, 2012, 05:42:45 PM
  Earlier this winter I had the same question and ended up with the 261 mostly because I have a good saw dealer that sells Stihl

Unless you are doing all your own wrenching on your saws, that's probably the best way to choose between those two saws - where do you get the best support.

I also like to support a business that knows what they are doing, and steers their customers to what is right for the customer's needs, not whatever the dealer wants to get rid of.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Clam77

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

s grinder

Will put it to bed this week,dealer sells both,the MS261 does have a good feel,getting a 346XP in this week,he had just sold one a day before i walked in,both around the same price,will be using it for hardwood.By the way what is X2,X3?

John Mc

"X2" means "times two", someone is basically expressing agreement with the preceeding or quoted post. 

In this case basically agreeing with the suggestion that choosing a good dealer is just as important as choosing the right saw

If you are a saw mechanic guru yourself (as some on here are), maybe this is less important to you. But for us mere mortals, it's a BIG factor.

You've chosen two good saws - you really can't miss with either one, if you take care of them properly. Which one works best for you comes down to two things in my book: How do each of them feel to YOU when you use them, and what kind of support are you going to get from the dealer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

AdkStihl

Hardwood.........

I would go with the 261
J.Miller Photography

downeast

nmurph

I own both. They are pretty much dead even dispite the reports that the 261 is stronger. I have run the same chain in the same log and there wasn't a difference in times. The 346 is nearly 3/4lb lighter which is important for a limbing saw.

I think you made the right choice, but there is nothing wrong with the 261. I have never heard of a bearing failure problem with the 261.

To anyone considering either of these, I would recommend the one with the best dealer. If the dealers are a wash, then the 346 is the better choice in my mind.

Reddog

Quote from: nmurph on March 20, 2012, 10:31:36 AM
I have never heard of a bearing failure problem with the 261.

It's been a recall in the UK for many 261's with rim sprockets. Spur sprockets don't seem to be affected from what I can gather.
I use rim sprockets so wasn't taking a chance. YMMV

nmurph

OK, I did some quick reading: there are no recalls on the US Stihl site. Apparently the  recall is for 261's across the pond. The clutch drum bearings were failing on early production saws.

Cut4fun

Quote from: nmurph on March 20, 2012, 10:31:36 AM
I own both. They are pretty much dead even dispite the reports that the 261 is stronger. I have run the same chain in the same log and there wasn't a difference in times. The 346 is nearly 3/4lb lighter which is important for a limbing saw.

Since I have yet to see a 261 in the dealers shelves and never ran or held one yet.  Are you saying stihl is lying about their weight specs like others have in the past?

WEIGHT:
5.26 kg (11.6 lbs.)

The 346's weight 11.4lb PHO right?

weight per husky site.  Weight (excl. cutting equipment)    11.2 lbs

I know you have the weights nmurph so straighten it out for all of us. Because I have been told the 261 is getting into the weight class of the 59cc 60cc saws 555 562 by PHO weights.  True or not?

Thanks for real world info nmurph.  smiley_clapping

nmurph

I have recently weighed a couple of very clean NE's as well as a very clean OE. Both weigh about 11lbs 4oz. I weighed my 261 which I got used but would guess it has no more than 3 hours of cutting time on it. I blew it out very well, then cleaned and dried the tanks. I got a weight of 11lbs 14oz.
I have not weighed a 555, but based on the history of Husky weights, I would be that saw is very near 13lbs.

Cut4fun

Quote from: nmurph on March 20, 2012, 04:05:19 PM
I have not weighed a 555, but based on the history of Husky weights, I would be that saw is very near 13lbs.

Was told by owner of 555 weight on postal scale is  12lb 8oz

John Mc

Quote from: Cut4fun on March 20, 2012, 07:22:34 PM
Was told by owner of 555 weight on postal scale is  12lb 8oz

I assume that was PHO?  The Husky US website says 12.35 lbs  (= 12 lbs, 5.6 oz)

Cut4fun

99% of the time we refer to PHO dry for weights.   smiley_hydrogen

John Mc

I would have expected that to be the case if you, or many others here on FF weighed it, but when it's "was told by owner...", I didn't know

Thank You Sponsors!