iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2021

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2020, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Nov. will be "normal" temps and everyone will say how cold it is.  ::)
Seem like last year was on the warm side, than when "it" happened "it" happened quick and stayed cold.  ;D  Well here I go with cold too.  ;D  Cold the way it should be. 
Still no frost here. I don't think I have even seen any temps in the 30's yet. And yet is the key word too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Summer in October ain't natural. 60F on the porch this early hour. It stayed 78F in here all night, window wide open. Not a breath of wind. Running the furnace fan and the air exchanger most of the day because we leave the windows shut to keep lady bugs and house flies out. Screens on windows don't keep them from getting in a window. That's a fallacy.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

The house flies, stink bugs, western conifer seed bug an wasps are horrible right now trying to enter home
A1

thecfarm

House flies are here too. I have people coming into the store with the same problem.
Yesterday was another hot day. High 70's!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

we have had more mice this fall than any other year.  no one like to sleep in the cold. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

:D :D Watched a barn cat yesterday. He sits at the edge of a cut oat field, been coming there a couple months. Same spot to. Yesterday I saw him take flight about 3 feet in the air for the big pounce on a mouse.  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wisconsitom

Not exactly weather-related, but what'da you all say....Cluster flies-I'm sure that name is shortened up just a bit-are the most annoyingly stupid insects on the planet.  They'll spend all day buzzing in the window screen, as if wanting to get out, but open a window screen and shew them out....they fly back in before you can replace the screen!  Slow and easy to catch with your fingers, they can be literally tossed out the door....and before you can get that door shut, they will have flown back in!

Again, cluster-**** flies has got to be the original name.  As far as weather goes, they ramp up late in the year like right now.  Found all over the north country as far as I'm aware.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Gere Flewelling

Heater on for the ride to work and AC on for the ride home.  I love this time of year.  8) Too bad it only lasts for 3 week or so. :'(
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

SwampDonkey

Quote from: wisconsitom on October 14, 2021, 07:55:10 AM
Again, cluster-**** flies has got to be the original name.  As far as weather goes, they ramp up late in the year like right now.  Found all over the north country as far as I'm aware.
Yep that's them alright, we just call them house flies. We get a dose of them in the spring too, coming out of the dead grass after winter. :D

Cluster flies parasitize earth worms.

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 14, 2021, 09:36:27 AM
Quote from: wisconsitom on October 14, 2021, 07:55:10 AM
Again, cluster-**** flies has got to be the original name.  As far as weather goes, they ramp up late in the year like right now.  Found all over the north country as far as I'm aware.
Yep that's them alright, we just call them house flies. We get a dose of them in the spring too, coming out of the dead grass after winter. :D

Cluster flies parasitize earth worms.
Not to mention with so many of them you're outdoors working and break the slightest sweat they are all over you like you are the garbage man. I hate insects, except bumble bees.
A1

wisconsitom

Heh, to me, house flies look about the same but have some actual energy.  These lazy, half-awake cluster-**** flies are docile and apparently, mentally retarded!

Sprayfoam insulation in the "cabin" half of my shed cut down their numbers considerably.  Then too, I go around the building once or twice a year, shooting up into the eaves and roof joints in the gambrel metal roof with a synthetic pyrethroid-type insecticide.  These types of materials are really closer to being repellants than actual bug killers.  It seems to help.  The entomologist will tell you, if it's flying bugs you want to keep out, spray high, up at roof line seams, etc.  If it's crawling insects, hit the ground line.  I do both because the imported lady beetles try to get in at the wall plate this time of year too.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

Heat wave might be over.  :D
I have 56° now at almost 6am. Mid 60's today.

SwampDonkey

56F here to, showery weather so no solar heating much. A good break, but I think the big cool down is mid week next, highs in the 50's. ;D

Old Greenhorn

Time for me to check in here too, yeah, the change is coming quite slowly. 56° here this morning anf they are calling for a 74° high today, but I will believe it when I see it. The last 10 days or so has been that weird weather where I leave the house in a shirt, light sweatshirt, and light jacket, get to the mill and take the jacket off before I fire it up, then take the sweatshirt off in 20 minutes, then and hour later I am down to a sweatshirt, and I come home soaking with sweat as it is cooling down. The days are real pretty mostly. 12 days agoa it was cool enough that I wore lined jeans for a couple of days, but that wore off quick when the temp came back up. We had been getting lows in the mid 40's overnight, then highs in the high 50's during the day, but we are back up now. Skies have had a lot of cloud cover, but the winds are very low to zero. Still have bugs when it warms up in the afternoon with no frost yet. This is pretty good 'get it done now' weather. Trees are really beginning to turn this week. When I drove 25 miles west of here on Wednesday and gained about 1,500 feet in elevation the colors are nearly at peak. Here at the house they are pre-peak by about a week. I am getting worried about getting wood done.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Rained hard here around 5-6 this morning. Had not had rain for a while. Maybe a shower later.  60°

SwampDonkey

Rain here, earlier was mostly a 'Scottish mist'. ;)

Old Greenhorn

Yesterday was supposed to have a bunch of rain but it held off until the early evening and we got about 1/2" or so in a short period. The rest of the day was fairly nice, but overcast. The rain brought in a cold front and the temp dropped severly just as it began. It's 50 here now but only headed to about 60 for a high today. Clear skies right now that are supposed to cloud up this afternoon when a little more rain may come through.
 I got curious this morning so I went back to last years thread and learned that it was about the same last year but we had some much colder nights in late September and I had been running the shop stove off and on to maintain dry comfortable temps. Have not lit it yet this year, but I am still not working in the shop and my wood supply is not quite where I want it (yet). I still have to do some fall maintenance on the stove but have been too busy with other jobs. It seems, in general that this year is trending a bit warmer than last. We have yet to even think about a frost this year, but last year we had a close call or two by this date.
 Swamp, have you started your stove yet, beyond a single rainy day situation?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Still raining here at a good pace and 1-1/4" so far, was 60F this morning before daylight. Wind died down after it swung into the north.

thecfarm

Yes last year was warm too. Not even close to a frost yet. Seem like I did not cover up anything in the garden last year either. Some years I cover the garden, due to a frost, and than it will warm back up and not get another frost for a month.
Rained hard in the night and I do mean hard. That pasture that I am clearing will be like a greased pig again. It's only a small area, 100 feet square maybe.
50° here at 8:15 am
Yesterday the wind blew at almost 70°. Was a warm day.

SwampDonkey

1-1/2" rain so far, still coming down good.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 17, 2021, 07:28:34 AM

Swamp, have you started your stove yet, beyond a single rainy day situation?
Started it yesterday just the take out the dampness. Ran it 2 weeks ago for 3 mornings. Been too dang hot for 2 weeks for a fire. Windows up at night, whole nine yards. :D

Frost killed corn around here awhile ago and never touched the garden. Still green, even pick some peppers still and picked an arm load of tomatoes 4 days ago. :D

HemlockKing

We haven't gotten frost yet but it's been chilly enough to run the stove. Today we are getting stiff wind from the south off the warm ocean so it's t shirt weather right now, although heavy rain on its way. 
A1

thecfarm

I am just about to head outside, with a sweat shirt on. Have not worn one at night for about a week.

SwampDonkey

Had a brawny cotton button down shirt (heavy cotton) yesterday when walking and even though it was 55F it was still too warm. High humidity makes the air feel warmer. Felt more like 75F. :D

thecfarm

Well there, 36° this morning. Fall temps are here!!! First time in the 30's.

Thank You Sponsors!