iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple sugaring questions

Started by Jdock, February 01, 2021, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdock

I've been filtering sap though aluminum window screen to get the big stuff and a coffee filter as it goes into the pans but I haven't got a good method for the finished syrup yet either. Coffee filter stops up immediately. Was thinking about trying paint filters if I can ever remember to grab some from the garage. So far I've just let the sand settle down and poured the syrup off the top, works okay but far from perfect.

mike_belben

Try a clean bucket with a spaghetti strainer over the top for a frame and a fresh white tee shirt over the strainer.  I feed it with gallon jug scooper quite fast for prefiltering.  

I have to figure out a post filter that doesnt absorb half the batch. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I just remembered that i used to filter oil for a stove with a 2 liter jug upside down, bottom cut off and screwed to a stud in the garage.  A pair of socks were one inside another and rubber banded to the neck, hanging over the collection bucket..  It worked excellent. 
Praise The Lord

Jdock

I'll try the white t shirt if I can find one, most of mine turn black pretty fast not sure how a 5w30 stain will react with sap:D. I was thinking about the paint filters for the finished syrup, just a paper come with a little plastic filter mesh in the bottom. Generally free wherever paint and body supplies are sold and they won't absorb much. Should get the big chunks out anyway. I know first-hand that when making small batches every drop counts

Stephen1

We use felt to filter. You can buy them cone shaped from a maple syrup supply. Yes they are expensive but they do the best job.  It absorbs a lot of syrup, no doubt, that is why they have a filter press.
We have been filtering the syrup 218F and that helps. 
Every time you bring syrup to 219.5 you make more maple sand. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!