iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have tips for catching thieves?

Started by farmfromkansas, May 19, 2021, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

Having trouble losing things at my farm.  Put up some cameras, and got a few pics of thieves, but of course since I am techless did not set the camera resolution strong enough, so the pics are not real sharp.  Picked up some bigger SD cards, and the cameras don't recognize them.  This is the 3rd time I have been missing a bunch of stuff, at least got the truck back last time, but these guys are taking thousands of dollars of my stuff.  Latest ripoff is my skidsteer trailer, had my brush grapple and 2 posthole augers as well as chains and binders, and noticed my old Honda Rancher is missing as well.  SIL has a title for it, got it from him after he got a Gator, did not realize it had a title.  Deputy gave me some tips and helped adjust the cameras, said I had them set in good places and right angles, but these guys come at night and hard to recognize them. At least they have some poor pics, he said so few have a camera set up at all, they were pleased to at least have a clue what they drive and even poor pics of the thieves.  I didn't recognize them.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

have these all over our place. it's like watchin a movie it's so clear. Now it sounds like this isn't next to your house, but is it possible to have interne there and then you can see what's going on any time

https://blinkforhome.com/

If not on the internet, then get some high quality game cameras. Place them where they enter and exit to catch license plate info, not just at your building site. They also have night vision, so license plate info will show up
Necessity is the engine of drive

Nebraska

Do you have gates at the end of the lane? I know a fellow who put nail boards  where the trespassers were cutting through a ditch to sneak into his place.  It worked.  :)

Raider Bill

I have Blink also. 3 systems. 2, 5 cam outside and 1, 3 cam inside.
Easy to set up and work great!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

mike_belben

It is a LOT of work to stop the flow once it starts.  If your law enforcement is neutered and youre on your own, violence is all they really speak.  5 years now and its a full time job for me. Theres one of me and 2 dozen of them.  

So far all i can tally is some missing fuel but its been 10 or 15 altercations to keep it that way. 

Praise The Lord

Southside

Nail boards, one or two obvious that look like you did a poor job of hiding them, then real tire killers hidden in the alternative path you push them towards. Run a trip line to a mouse trap / siren and strobe light set so after their tires go down it starts to scream and flash.

Scare the living crap out of them. Maybe in haste they will leave a license plate attached to a tree on the way out. 

If they think you are nuts they will leave you alone. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I helped some somalians who blew a turbo oil line on 81 in VA on a 60 series detroit maybe 2018ish and the few hours i was wrenching and BSing brought out an epiphany.  

They said somalia had no government, just warlords or tribes.  Every man for himself.  They all had AKs, and it was safe for a woman to walk the street at night.  I said how.  They explained everyone knows everyone and retaliation for something like that is certain, so there is peace.  

It doesnt matter what language or location.  A universal truth is 2 parties able to make serious war will have peace until one gets weak and invites the other to mischief.  

Step1..  You must know all of the people around quite well.

Step2. convey that you know them and arent afraid of war with them.  They arent gonna knock on your door for this conversation and arent reading your signs out front when creeping in at 3am out back.  Signs do nothing.. The more signs you put up the more it advertises this guy is easy to rob to every pillhead.  

So the scary part is you have to go to them, on their turf where they feel safe, for this conversation.  And it can very very easily get you stabbed, shot or in jail.  

When the police are all defunded, this is the only way any of you are gonna keep your property bolted down.  It does not get easier with age, status or possessions to lose.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

And ive never caught one after the fact, that takes 4k quality cameras, luck and knowing who they are. They all wear hoodies and hats anyways.  And if they get busted they get a court date and released then skip court.  The law has extremely low deterrence on the current generations addiction driven theft.  

Prevention is more important.  

I have run off a lot of them at the fence with a gun and a flashlight.  Not much sleep, need a good outdoor dog.  Put your gas tanks all facing one camera.  They need a lot of expensive fuel to drive around stealing and scoring expensive drugs all night with no income.  The gas can is how you get them on camera.
Praise The Lord

Wudman

If your gas cans are disappearing, add a gallon of water to one or a handful of super fine sawdust........Just remember which are which.  A good hyper dog is among the best deterrent.  Fencing and gates will help as well......or  a tank trap that you open at night will discourage traffic.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

farmfromkansas

I set up 3 game cameras, the farm is not where I live, so is wide open.  Did get a couple gates to put up, but they now have my big auger, so hard to put in a huge post to hinge the gates.  The nail boards is a great idea, maybe screws instead of nails, but the down side is the county mows the roadside ditch occasionally.  The deputy was pleased to see some pics, am going to take the pics to the COOP manager this afternoon to see if he recognizes them. He knows everyone around here. I mostly associate with farmers in the neighborhood, no need to associate with the dopers.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

Quote from: farmfromkansas on May 19, 2021, 10:44:27 AMno need to associate with the dopers.
then sell the farm before they get it all. you cant win a war against strangers bound by no rules while you are bound by all of them and they know lots about you by public record.  unless you have a deputy in your pocket who will park there every few nights, or are gonna put a tenant there or something.. this is gonna be a real challenge.  

if you want info, start making friends with dopers, particularly the obviously desperate solo female ones.. theres always a few who just got beat up one too many times looking for an escape.  they move around from one to the next and know all the goings on.. who grabs what, who they brought it to, etc.  the good news is it is an unstable community. they dont love each other and are always fighting themselves, robbing and ripping each other off,  betraying each other, trying to get even, and running their mouths.  the rare moment when they are unified boy, thats a time to lay low and not be unarmed.

know your enemy and know yourself.  been good for 2000 years and not gonna change any time soon.
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Quote from: farmfromkansas on May 19, 2021, 10:44:27 AM
I set up 3 game cameras, the farm is not where I live, so is wide open.  Did get a couple gates to put up, but they now have my big auger, so hard to put in a huge post to hinge the gates.  The nail boards is a great idea, maybe screws instead of nails, but the down side is the county mows the roadside ditch occasionally.  The deputy was pleased to see some pics, am going to take the pics to the COOP manager this afternoon to see if he recognizes them. He knows everyone around here. I mostly associate with farmers in the neighborhood, no need to associate with the dopers.
night vision ones that don't show any light when working? They are coming in some where, that's where you need them. you need to catch the vehicle. the car/truck is an easier find then obscure faces

Don't you have insurance to replace the auger to put the posts in? you can rent them at rental centers. for that matter if the gate is attached to a barbwire fence, then it isn't going to help much. They'll just cut the wire some place. I'd rather they come in through the gate and I have hidden night vison cameras catching vehicle info

I don't want the potential thieves to know i have high resolution cameras that work at night. i want to catch the buzz ters in the act. all of ours are motion activated.

btulloh

Decoy cameras help if you go the game cam route. Let them see the obvious decoys and they'll miss real cameras that are well disguised in locations to catch then license plates. Older retired or cheap cameras are great for decoys, the hide the good ones. There are some no-glow IR cameras available. Cost more, but some of the cameras that send pictures to your cell phone are pretty reasonable considering the amount of loss you're experiencing. 

I hate thieves. Good luck. 
HM126

sawguy21

They are a real problem but violent retaliation is not the answer as much as we want to bust heads. The best we can do is keep stuff locked up as much as possible and have a friendly insurance agent, after all it's just stuff.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 19, 2021, 11:39:01 AM
They are a real problem but violent retaliation is not the answer as much as we want to bust heads. The best we can do is keep stuff locked up as much as possible and have a friendly insurance agent, after all it's just stuff.
45 seconds ago so-n-so walked by looking for his other meth buddies at the spot, talking to his imaginery friends.  Old meth head.  The trail is about 60 feet from my kitchen table.

We had trouble for over a year. Law wouldnt do anything.  One night hes climbing my fence and was 'gonna kill me.'  Long night.  I had a 12G and he was unarmed.  Said i was nothing without it so i put it down and walked toward him but he backed up to his place.  I coulda killed him a bunch of times thats the last thing i want. Cop wouldnt do anything and preferred i shoot him but that leaves me with his blood on my soul. 

Next morning i pass him walking and pulled over.  Said truce truce i just wanna give you a ride. tricked him into my truck with the passenger door latch removed.  

At the store i showed him my road trip gear when the concern of not being able to get out hit his face.  said i took that door apart and had already dug a grave in another state for him.  We can be friends or i will bring him to see it just one time.

Now i tell him im going on a trip, watch my stuff.  We have a beer now and then and if i need info on some new trouble hes just one of several sources i can quiz, or if i need to send a message he is one i can send it through.

If youre gonna live in a snake pit you have no choice but to play by their rules.   What probably made all the difference in the world is i genuinely prayed for him.  And never did any digging or broke any laws.  I dont hate him, hes human and full of demons.  I pity him.  But that dont mean i cant get my hands dirty.

Keeping your stuff at a distance when addicts are around it is my specialty.  I have been depositing it since 2012 and i lived 990 miles away from it for 4 years.  If your lawmen are useless and you cant do this work, you have to let it go or watch it leave or i guess insure it until your adjuster drops you?  I dunno. But i know snakes.  theyll just take more and more and more until you leave one laying in the road.

Every friday i dole out boxes of milk and food from a church, to most of these people.  Theyre still my neighbors until one tests the fence.  Id rather give them food and milk.  But if i absolutely have to, i will hand em the crate of food and smash one in the face with a frozen milk because thats what it is to live where the law has conceded to the outlaws.  Its combat and dominance is critical to keep your fence respected.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I will close with this.  It is reputation.  A seriously bad dude (which i am not, ive lost more fights than ive won) can leave his stuff laying in a parking lot in detroit and it will stay put if his name is on it.  Because the reputation for punishment is known and it is a force field. 

Thieves are not crazy or stupid.. In fact they very hard to catch, crafty, creative and determined not to work for a normal living.  But they still calculate risk and short term county incarceration is not scary for most since they get showers and food, which is better than the drug life for many.   

A reputation for doing nothing is a magnet and thats what you need to change.  3 neighbors of mine get hit constantly because of that.  One has dudes face on camera busting his door wide open and did nothing.  Well thats why youre getting robbed.  Every other turd knows he did nothing.  A did nothing reputation invites in the next 3. 
Praise The Lord

goose63

Maybe thats why thy leave me alone I have shot at a few of them ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Tacotodd

Never shoot AT anything. Hit where you AIM! You just shot NEAR them to get their attention and scare the daylights out of them 🤣

BTW, I'm on every one of you fine folks sides here. Because like you folks, I more than acquired my stuff honestly and squarely. I just want it to stay MINE! You guys don't lie to me & you don't steal from me, just remember that in my experience, if a person does either they will do both.
Trying harder everyday.

Dave Shepard

Mike, what a trade you made. Paying real estate taxes in Mass to being your own vigilante in TN. smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stavebuyer

The local game warden takes his job seriously and is on the list of recipients for my cell phone trail camera at my river farm. He gets emailed the pictures in real time. For your remote farm I highly recommend a Spartan cell phone trail camera. They are night vision/ no red flash and can record video. The default is a thumbnail but anything interesting you request an HD picture after the fact. The camera has resulted in 4 convictions so far. Priceless. $300 camera and $15 monthly unlimited air time. I have 3 of the cell cams and 8 cheap Tasco's. 4 legged critter pictures are just a fringe benefit; its 2 legged vermin I am hunting.

stavebuyer

This is from this afternoon. Trespasser.

Game Warden cruising a dead end gravel road on a Wed afternoon. Figure the odds on that :)

Other cameras set for License plate capture

Sedgehammer

Southside

Mike is spot on.  Number of years back two brothers stole my pickup and trashed it.  Eventually found out who they were and somehow the rumor got started that accidents happen around big chipping equipment and one of them was destined to end up in a bag of shavings.  No idea how that rumor got started, but it did end up with the last brother fleeing to a small island, that is only accessible via ferry, to turn himself into the State Police.  I was told he sat at the dock making sure there was a cruiser on the approaching ferry.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I've heard a few of you guys make the point that you need the thieves to think you're crazy. I also don't think a few of you don't have to work very hard at convincing anyone 😁😂
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Buckeye cams or Reconyx cams are the best....

Thank You Sponsors!