iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In-Grown Metal

Started by Wudman, March 09, 2020, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

On the sawing side, I would guess that most of us have found some ingrown metal.  This one is kind of to the extreme.  The back story on this is the interesting part.  We used to farm this tract when I was a kid.  The deceased owner (now owned by his son) was a World War II vet.  He was a gunner flying bombing missions in B-24s over Germany.  He was an avid outdoorsman and was the individual that taught me to breakdown and clean my Remington 1100 when I was about 10 years old.  He lived to be 91.  A few years back, I saw him at a high school basketball game.  He was in frail health and confined to a wheelchair and was unable to speak.  I walked over to him and shook his hand recounting the time he had shown me how to clean my gun.  His eyes lit up and it was obvious that he remembered.  His daughter called me that night to thank me for coming to speak to him.  She said he was very excited on their way home and knew that it meant something to him. 

This gentleman was an avid wood carver.  In his deployment, he had carved models of various German aircraft and distributed them through his unit.  That way, his fellow gunners could identify the targets that were coming after them.  Several boxes of these models were donated to the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA. 

Back to the story at hand.  As a young child (he told me he was about 10 years old), he was raking hay with a team of horses.  He finished the job and backed the rake to the field edge to unhook.  When he unhooked, the rake rolled back and down the hill.  He was unable to recover it, and the rake found its final resting place.

You can see the edge of a wheel to the left hand side of the photo.

About 1/3 of the unit is embedded in that white oak.

A view looking back up the hill.

When I was a kid some 40 years ago, that wheel was clearly visible outside of the tree.  It has just about grown completely around it now.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sandhills

Thanks for the story and the pictures.

Pine Ridge

Yes, thank you for sharing with us !!!!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Southside

That is pretty awesome.  Looks like the seat is being consumed as well?  I wonder how much trouble he got in when he had to fess up where the rake was as I imagine it was a rather valuable item.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

Pretty wild.  I bet that makes for some interesting grain patterns.
HM126

moodnacreek

WDH

That is amazing.  The inexorable march of time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jeepcj779

That sure is some good steel.

Wudman

http://southsidemessenger.com/nathaniel-harvey-jeter/

Read this link and you will understand why these gentlemen were "The Greatest Generation".  I believe it appropriate to memorialize him along with his living monument on the farm.  I was blessed to have a number of these gentlemen to touch my life as a kid.  As for his water color paintings, I have one hanging in my living room.  My Dad gave it to me as a Christmas Present some years back.  I'll grab a picture of that and post it as well.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels

bwstout

He was an outstanding man what a story. I live 40 miles from Ashdown Ar. Isn't it amazing that we can be hundreds of miles away never met one another but still have some connection in life, life is truly amazing. You are blessed have know such a person.
home built mill

Pine Ridge

He was a busy man. Men like him deserve our utmost respect, i would have loved to have met and visited with him. I've had alot of older friends that i enjoyed listening to their stories and life experiences, sadly many of them have passed on. That generation was a tough bunch.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Wudman

Thought I would add a complement to this story.  I have known about this horse drawn sickle bar mower for a few years.  It is located along the boundary of one of the tracts that I manage.  I got back by there a few days ago to take a picture.

That tree has started to claim it.

That's a little yellow poplar having it for lunch.

Time marches on.

Wud
Charlie Daniels

moodnacreek

I've mowed fields with a sickle bar on a tractor most of my life and have a few horse drawn ones but have never mowed with horses. A few weeks back I mowed around a large white faced hornets nest that I spotted the last go round. They say getting into that with the horse drawn mower was something.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Old saw fixer

I have one on my place in the woods at the edge of the field.  If I find it again I'll get a pic. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Magicman

I have an ingrown hay rake back on my property.  I "hacked-n-squirted" the trees several years ago so I need to go and take a look.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!