iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

At least it didn't roll off the back of the mill. (I've heard that sometimes happens). smiley_lipsrsealed
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Larry

I've heard if a log or cant rolls off the back of the mill it can break lots of expensive parts in the energy chain. ??? ::)  Not that I've ever done anything like that. :o

For that reason I got the forklift forks under the cant and lowered the backstops.  Used the forklift to gently get the cant back on the bed.  Not really much excitement, but one learns from experience.

That knothole was about 6" deep and completely filled with punky material.  I didn't even notice it until.....
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

I moved the mill to my pasture and was going to cut a tree and mill an order but a customer came by with some old wormy chestnut 2X6s to be resawed into 1" boards. He'd press down while I clamped due to the bow in each of them. He had 5-6 of them. I was not impressed but they were his lumber. He asked about sawing some cookies and I took him over and showed him some then he saw some thin lath strips I use to make crates and wanted some real thin shims for a project so I threw a fresh cut 2X2 poplar strip on the mill and sawed it in 3/16" drops on my SS and he was happier than a pig in a mudhole with them.

I picked out the biggest remaining Norway spruce in my overaged Christmas tree patch and dropped it. With my recent tree felling results if I were a logger I would not hire me. ::) It fell way to the right but finally hit the ground.

I limbed it and bucked a 21' and a 17' log for my order. (14' & 6' and 2- 8') dragged them to the mill and bucked to shorter lengths.

this 14' & 6' made 8X8 beams and 3/4" side lumber

These 8' logs made a 3X8 and a 4X8 and 3/4" side lumber and 3"X 1/2" battens.

8X8s (BTW even out of spruce they are heavy for a one man operation!)  

8X8, the 8" X 3&4 inch beams. Battens underneath 3/4" side lumber from 6-10 inch wide and 6-14' long.

The side lumber and battens underneath. I'll use it to make composting toilets unless someone buys it for something else first. 335 bf/square ft  out of the logs.

Delivery was included so I'll take them 56 miles away in the morning and do a site visit 2-3 miles away for a 10K bf (?) job.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

cutterboy

Howard, nice job on centering the pith on that 8x8.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

bigblockyeti

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 20, 2022, 07:21:01 PM
I picked out the biggest remaining Norway spruce in my overaged Christmas tree patch and dropped it. With my recent tree felling results if I were a logger I would not hire me. ::) It fell way to the right but finally hit the ground.
Hey down is down, you didn't get hurt or tear anything up, that's what it's all about.

WV Sawmiller

Yeah but it doesn't do much for your ego or confidence when it falls that far out of line to what you planned. :D

CB,

I was real diligent in centering the heart on the 8X8's and the 3" & 4" beams and since the tree was pretty straight the heart ran true and it worked out well. Thanks for noticing anyway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Maybe you should try a tenon cut? :D
 On second thought, never mind. Too many things to go wrong. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

A tenon cut might have worked well here but it looked very straight forward. I cut it, it took a right turn and fell 90* to the right and hung at about a 30* angle. I pulled it off the stump with my ATV but  could not drop it. I was going to go back with the tractor but while I was resawing and piddling with my new customer we heard a "Pop, pop, pop, pop" and it came down on its own. I was really worried it would be big enough diameter at height to get a clean 8X8 20' up but I had an extra inch or so to spare. 

I have it loaded and am fixing to deliver it now.
Howard Green

fluidpowerpro

Just finished a job today. 1250 bd ft of 4/4 to be used for tongue and groove paneling. Most was 6" wide, some 4" and 8". Logs were Maple, Birch, Red Oak and a few Ash. Forgot to take a picture of the final stack so picks are only partial. Some of the logs were marginal with hollow spots or rot, so took some fooling around on those. Either way, learned a lot and had some fun.
The sweet thing is this same customer is having a big white pine taken down in the next week or so. It's leaning towards his house so hiring a tree service. It measures 36" at the base and has about 75' of straight trunk until it forks. Just that one tree will have more than I just finished and should go faster.

<br
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

cutterboy

It's been about six weeks since I sawed any lumber. I've been logging ash trying to stay ahead of the emerald ash borer. Yesterday I started sawing those ash logs. Got a couple of small ones done in the morning.

No sawing this morning as we are in a pretty good thunder storm at this moment. It feels good to be sawing again. I like the look of ash lumber but man, it is the worst for leaving a buildup on the blade. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Keep on sawing.....Cutter

cutterboy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 20, 2022, 07:21:01 PM
   With my recent tree felling results if I were a logger I would not hire me. ::) 
Don't feel bad Howard,

after these two trees in the same week I was ready to fire myself. >:(

WV Sawmiller

CB,

I think we are living proof that the earth is off kilter and keeps shaking the wrong way just as we cut through the holding wood on our local trees. :D

I love the smell of ash sawing. It reminds me of the smell of old honey like when I would find a bee tree in the woods  when I was a kid. It is one of the naturally driest woods I saw and one of the straightest grain meaning you need to predrill when nailing it to keep it from splitting.

I have one old customer who buys most f of mine (that I don't use for my own projects). Unfortunately he buys it 1-2 boards at a time as his retirement check comes in. His last project was a pie safe and it is beautiful work. I told him if I die before he does I'm going to bequeath him any remaining ash lumber left in my stock.

The ash trees around here are so far gone they are deadly to cut down as the tops will snap back on you and big limbs will fall off while cutting them down.
Howard Green

Magicman

Cutter, I love that cathedral pattern in Ash.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 22, 2022, 09:34:13 AM
CB,

I think we are living proof that the earth is off kilter and keeps shaking the wrong way just as we cut through the holding wood on our local trees. :D

So that's it!? I'm glad you told me. I didn't think it could be me. ::)

cutterboy

Quote from: Magicman on September 22, 2022, 10:00:07 AM
Cutter, I love that cathedral pattern in Ash.  thumbs-up
Magic, you, me and a lot of other people love it and it sells. ;) 

Daburner87

Got a good red oak log on the mill today.  One of my biggest.  Just under 8ft, 30" at the butt and 24" at the top end.  Slabbed it all at 10/4.  I wish I had a forklift or skid steer to move logs around.  Having to move my mill all the time, level it, take out all the tools, and setup takes valuable time away from milling.  It's not practical.  On top of that I always start milling before I have stickers made up or a level base to stack the wood on.... I could probably spend a full day just cutting stickers....  

I made this wagon about 3 weeks ago to move stuff around the yard.  It held 3 good size slabs, but 4 would be too much to pull around my uneven terrain. Still it is a solid wagon and made moving and loading the slabs much easier.  Honestly don't know if I could have done it without it.  How else do can you manually move a slab solo?  It's 16 inches in height, with two 6" blocks on top to stack onto.  

It was a good day all and all, and I got some nice slabs out of it to test the market.   If they never sell I'll build something nice.  I hope I can one day get a permanent location for the mill, and never have to move it again.  Then I can build a saw shed and start living the good life.

HM130Max Woodlander XL

KenMac

Just a friendly reminder- A big part of the good life is being healthy enough to handle the aggravating stuff that hinders what you want to do. :)
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

cutterboy

Daburner, I like your little wagon. Also, nice oak slabs.

OlJarhead

Mostly Doug Fir but some pine too

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Daburner87

Quote from: cutterboy on September 24, 2022, 06:42:35 AM
Daburner, I like your little wagon. Also, nice oak slabs.
Thanks.  It was a fairly simple build, the wheels cost about $80 via Harbor Freight and the hardware was about $16.  The main thing was being able to put 8ft plus lumber on it without getting in the way of the handle.  I was going to buy one of those Gorrilla Carts but it wouldn't have worked for my needs and costs much more.  The handle was the hardest part because I only had a high tooth bandsaw blade at the time.  My jigsaw wasn't much better.  Lots of smoke. 
HM130Max Woodlander XL

richhiway

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 21, 2022, 08:32:53 AM
  Yeah but it doesn't do much for your ego or confidence when it falls that far out of line to what you planned. :D

CB,

I was real diligent in centering the heart on the 8X8's and the 3" & 4" beams and since the tree was pretty straight the heart ran true and it worked out well. Thanks for noticing anyway.
Watch some of those bucking billy ray you tube vids. he does some good work with wedges....
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Nebraska

If it's not obvious from the photo that is custom live edge cedar shelving for a goose pit. We must have a good shelf to set coffee cups, shotgun shells, and what not on.... :)

I am sawing a cedar log and the sunset looked good behind the mill.

Walnut Beast

Beavertooth

Salvaged a little over 3000bf out of these white oaks last week. Had a sensor go out on my auto clutch at beginning of second day there that would let it just keep cycling around and around instead of stopping at the engaged position.  Had to have one overnighted to job sight Woodmizer only had only one in stock. Wood was being taken to someone fairly local that will sticker stack, kiln dry, plane and tongue and groove each side for $1.75 a bf or $2.25 a bf to tongue and groove sides and ends. Just to let y'all know what that cost down here in south ms. 

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

I know that you are glad to finally get that job behind you.  Now hurry up and come and help me.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!