iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

The VP44 in your 2002 was killed by long term lack of fuel pressure due to a failed lift pump, not from running out of fuel. The VP will pull just as much fuel as it needs to run, but 70% of the fuel that the lift pump pumps is for cooling. That is why the VP dying is the first sign of a problem, unless you have a pressure gauge or have replaced the junk Carter lift pump Dodge put on the 24 valves. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Last June I said that I was slowing down.  Well if this is slowing down I am certainly glad that I did.  After I saw this one I have another whole house waiting.  

This several times repeat customer said that it was over 200 logs, and it is.

The setup is very workable.

With the tractor bringing 3-4 logs as needed.

This cut list is for a whole house and did not include the 1X12's nor the Oak.  After we saw the cut list the remainder of the logs will be sawn into whatever usable lumber that they will make.

Eleven ~1X16+ bookmatched stuff from a junker log.

I have no idea how many logs that we sawed today but they yielded 2781 bf.  Not bad.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 08, 2022, 02:52:35 PM
The VP44 in your 2002 was killed by long term lack of fuel pressure due to a failed lift pump, not from running out of fuel. The VP will pull just as much fuel as it needs to run, but 70% of the fuel that the lift pump pumps is for cooling. That is why the VP dying is the first sign of a problem, unless you have a pressure gauge or have replaced the junk Carter lift pump Dodge put on the 24 valves.
I didn't say I ran out of fuel with my 2002 Cummins.  I said fuel starvation.  If you have a lack of fuel you have low pressure.  Original pumps all around at that time.  After that I always refueled at a half a tank of fuel, to keep that lift pump submerged and cooled.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

I pulled the vent plug on the water/fuel separator assembly today.  Waited and waited for fuel to come out.  Replaced the plug and after 12 seconds of cranking, she fired up.  Today didn't miss sawing as it was a cold, rained out day.  Tomorrow I saw.  Yippee.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

caveman

Those are some nice logs and a good setup, MM.  When you saw the 2x6x24's, I hope that you will share your method.  I have not figured out an efficient way to saw logs longer than the mill.
Caveman

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2022, 07:01:59 PM
Last June I said that I was slowing down.  Well if this is slowing down I am certainly glad that I did.  After I saw this one I have another whole house waiting.  

This several times repeat customer said that it was over 200 logs, and it is.

The setup is very workable.

With the tractor bringing 3-4 logs as needed.

This cut list is for a whole house and did not include the 1X12's nor the Oak.  After we saw the cut list the remainder of the logs will be sawn into whatever usable lumber that they will make.

Eleven ~1X16+ bookmatched stuff from a junker log.

I have no idea how many logs that we sawed today but they yielded 2781 bf.  Not bad.
Lynn,
  How are you gonna cut those 24 foot 2x6s?
I think I like my whole house sawing gig better.  So far he has brought me pine for stakes and foundation boards.  In a week or so, he will bring the logs for studs and top & bottom sill plates.
hugs,  Brandi

Magicman

My customer is also a professional builder. 

Those 24' 2X6's will actually be two 12' X 2X6's.  He said that the way that he is building/bracing, splicing will not be an issue.

Funny thing is that the cut list for the next whole house also includes 24' X 2X6's.  I have not talked with this customer about his cut list yet.

What I do know that this old man is getting a workout. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

How do you keep up with your cut list? I tell customers to prepare one if they have a specific need but I also tell them I can either saw or count but I can't do both at the same time.

I did a job last year with the customer's whole family helping - and they were good help and I really enjoyed it. He was building a big shop and had a pretty comprehensive framing list. I found after every log I was going back to count the various stacks again and I finally I just appointed his teenage granddaughter as head accountant and I kicked myself for not doing that at the start. She was very good and every time we'd roll a log on the mill she'd say "Okay this is a 12' log. For 12' we need 4 more 2X6s and 7 more 2X4s and after that everything will be 1"." She did a great job, was proud of herself and cut my wasted counting time to nothing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 08, 2022, 08:20:24 PM
Lynn,

How do you keep up with your cut list? I tell customers to prepare one if they have a specific need but I also tell them I can either saw or count but I can't do both at the same time.

I did a job last year with the customer's whole family helping - and they were good help and I really enjoyed it. He was building a big shop and had a pretty comprehensive framing list. I found after every log I was going back to count the various stacks again and I finally I just appointed his teenage granddaughter as head accountant and I kicked myself for not doing that at the start. She was very good and every time we'd roll a log on the mill she'd say "Okay this is a 12' log. For 12' we need 4 more 2X6s and 7 more 2X4s and after that everything will be 1"." She did a great job, was proud of herself and cut my wasted counting time to nothing.
The guys that can count and saw wood at the same time spend 4 years in school at College Station, Texas.
They can also chew gum at the same time and tell Aggie jokes.  They are also called Boss. :D
hugs,  Brandi

Southside

My 70 with the Yanmar has the squeeze bulb and the electric pump.  Not sure why WM would tell you to take it off.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 08, 2022, 08:20:24 PMHow do you keep up with your cut list?
I did a quick count this evening because I was curious, but my normal is to count when the sawing is done or when a particular dimension is done.  With the exception of the one inch stuff today, I only sawed ten foot 2X4's & 2X10's.  All of the side lumber made either one or two 2X4's.  Tomorrow will be about the same and we should finish the 10's and move on to the 12' and 14' stuff. 

I prefer to count stacked lumber I do not like to count lumber as it leaves the sawmill.  It's too confusing and too easy to miss lumber.

I normally tally and invoice the sawn lumber at the end of a sawing week.  At that time I will spray my special paint on the top boards on a stack to denote that it has been tallied.

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

I have confessed to my shortcomings (?) and offered a proposed solution that I found has worked for me. I believe my proposal is on the order of "Delegation of Authority", "fostering a sense of responsibility in young workers" and "teambuilding" which I believe you will find listed on most management traits but I digress. ;)

Aggie jokes are not telling jokes they are just make astute observations of a particular segment of Texas culture (Or is it a counter culture :D.)

I know some sawyers do keep a count of their cuts as they make them. I don't. I find doing so prevents me from paying attention to other aspects of sawing which I feel are more deserving of my attention. My counting is either done at the end of the job or by making separate standardized stacks which can normally be counted at a glance.

Lynn,

Thanks. I think we are well in agreement on that issue.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Bindian on March 08, 2022, 07:13:18 PM
I didn't say I ran out of fuel with my 2002 Cummins.  I said fuel starvation.  If you have a lack of fuel you have low pressure.  Original pumps all around at that time.  After that I always refueled at a half a tank of fuel, to keep that lift pump submerged and cooled.
hugs,  Brandi
Well, you just said killed by lack of fuel. To clarify, for anyone that might still be running a veep, the VP44 overheats from not getting that extra 70% of fuel and the electronics get fried. The lift pump is on the engine below the fuel filter. Once it's dead, it doesn't matter what the fuel level is in the tank. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 08, 2022, 09:10:07 PM
 Aggie jokes are not telling jokes they are just make astute observations of a particular segment of Texas culture (Or is it a counter culture :D.)
I have some family in Texas who would take exception to that statement. They would probably tell you that folks who do such stuff are just trying to conceal their own embarrassment at their personal shortcomings. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Two...hundred...logs. Wowzers. :o I hope some day my business is able to "speed up" to MM's kind of "slowing down".

Pulled my mill out from winter hibernation today, everything fired up and worked.8)
Have had a couple repeat customer requests for lumber, been waiting for things to warm up above freezing here before I get sawing.

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I commend you for admitting to having family members as described. Most of us have a few similar branches on our family tree but are just too embarrassed to admit it in public.  ;D I have had some relatives, who died in prison, others who should have been there with them, etc but I honestly can't think of an Aggie in the family. :D

Kind of like the old salt Marine I knew who said ...

Never mind. I will not risk making other forum family members angry for things beyond their control here. ::)
Howard Green

WDH

Howard, DanG!  You can count?  I thought you went to Auburn????  Never seen that combination before.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TimW

Quote from: Southside on March 08, 2022, 08:57:52 PM
My 70 with the Yanmar has the squeeze bulb and the electric pump.  Not sure why WM would tell you to take it off.  
Because the squeeze part is the first place to get air leaks and also the electric pump does the same thing the bulb does.  We were trouble shooting and I installed auto parts fuel hose and didn't buy the motor boat gas can squeeze bulb.  So with the electric lift pump, the squeeze bulb is redundant.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: WDH on March 08, 2022, 09:57:48 PM
Howard, DanG!  You can count?  I thought you went to Auburn????  Never seen that combination before.
Guess he was barefoot again.
             hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 08, 2022, 09:26:52 PM
Quote from: Bindian on March 08, 2022, 07:13:18 PM
I didn't say I ran out of fuel with my 2002 Cummins.  I said fuel starvation.  If you have a lack of fuel you have low pressure.  Original pumps all around at that time.  After that I always refueled at a half a tank of fuel, to keep that lift pump submerged and cooled.
hugs,  Brandi
Well, you just said killed by lack of fuel. To clarify, for anyone that might still be running a veep, the VP44 overheats from not getting that extra 70% of fuel and the electronics get fried. The lift pump is on the engine below the fuel filter. Once it's dead, it doesn't matter what the fuel level is in the tank.
No, I didn't say killed by lack of fuel.  This is my direct quote............... But I am wondering if fuel starvation is a death blow to a Yanmar fuel injector pump, like in a 2002 Cummins, or it doesn't harm it like in my 2003 Cummins?
Call it what you will........death blow, fried, toast.  It means all the same thing.......$$$$
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 08, 2022, 09:10:07 PM
Brandi,

I have confessed to my shortcomings (?) and offered a proposed solution that I found has worked for me. I believe my proposal is on the order of "Delegation of Authority", "fostering a sense of responsibility in young workers" and "teambuilding" which I believe you will find listed on most management traits but I digress. ;)

I know some sawyers do keep a count of their cuts as they make them. I don't. I find doing so prevents me from paying attention to other aspects of sawing which I feel are more deserving of my attention. My counting is either done at the end of the job or by making separate standardized stacks which can normally be counted at a glance.

Lynn,

Thanks. I think we are well in agreement on that issue.
Howard,
    I gather I might have stepped on a toe or two.  I mean to.  You see my Dad was an Aggie and I almost went to aerospace engineering there.  I look up to anyone that went there.  But Aggies do love to spread Aggie jokes.
On counting lumber, my stacking on pallets lets me easy just count columns and levels of boards.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2022, 07:38:08 PM
My customer is also a professional builder.  

Those 24' 2X6's will actually be two 12' X 2X6's.  He said that the way that he is building/bracing, splicing will not be an issue.

Funny thing is that the cut list for the next whole house also includes 24' X 2X6's.  I have not talked with this customer about his cut list yet.

What I do know that this old man is getting a workout.
What's the difference between a house builder and a professional builder 😂

WDH

Quote from: Bindian on March 08, 2022, 10:31:47 PM
Guess he was barefoot again.
            hugs,  Brandi
:D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 08, 2022, 11:03:54 PMWhat's the difference between a house builder and a professional builder
Maybe it's in the eyes of the beholder.  I would not classify the upscale homes that he builds as 'houses'.   :)

Dog man

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 08, 2022, 01:16:28 AM
I've run mine out. Put a full tank on and squeeze the bulb a half dozen times or so to recirculate back into tank, then key to on, can hear the pump making its usual noise for a minute or so then start it without much extra cranking. Maybe a bit extra cranking a few times but not more than 5 seconds each attempt. Never had to bleed air like on Kubota D42.
Same here, I have the Yanmar and it always fires right back up after squeezing the bulb to get the fuel back to to pump

Thank You Sponsors!