iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Looking for some treasures today 

Magicman

My customer stickered last week's 9440 bf of lumber Saturday.  The eight stacks will be covered with metal roofing.  

I sawed 18 logs today yielded well over 2Mbf of ¾X6's, 8's, 10's, & 12's.  I should finish sawing the ¾" stuff tomorrow depending upon the rain/weather.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

3/4" thickness is the same as 1" when calculating BdFt?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

It is if I'm sawing. I tell my customers under 1" is billed as 1". 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Was happy to see the gnarly perfections. Have plenty of the plain knot free stuff with no character or attitude. That's to boring 

Magicman

Quote from: Sixacresand on March 14, 2022, 08:44:24 PM3/4" thickness is the same as 1" when calculating BdFt?
Absolutely, I am selling a sawing service, not lumber.  

Same as ½" to 1" or 1½" to 2".  I saw 1 1/8" as 1" and 1¼" as 1¼".  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I bet that customer will have some nice moldy black pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

newoodguy78

TimW

I'll start sawing these fine logs later today. 

They are for my whole house customer.  It sure is way different getting logs from a customer.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on March 15, 2022, 11:34:49 AMI bet that customer will have some nice moldy black pine.

These SYP logs seen on the left above were "storm" trees that had been recovered last Summer/Fall.  They had slipped bark and were already quite dry.  A few had/has sawyer holes but very few were pencil size.  His stacks are about 6' apart and oriented East/West so he will catch any wind.  I don't believe that he will have a drying problem.  The majority of the lumber is 10'.

It was wet/muddy yesterday so we opted not to saw, but we will be finishing the ¾X6's today and move on to whatever else he wants.  The cut list for the house lumber will be complete.

caveman

We could use some nice pine logs like those now.  
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I had a guy call me a few days ago and asked if I wanted to buy some cedar logs from him.  He's already got them bucked to length and will load them on my trailer.  We agreed on a very good price, so yes I will buy some logs from him.  He sent me this picture of some of the logs and it reminds me of Lynn's first picture on this thread.  It looks like some pretty nice ERC.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wlmedley

Hoping to make some 2"x4"s out of this poplar.Need 50 more 12 footers.Hopefully this will get me close.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Southside

That's some slamming ERC for sure!!  Nice score. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Southside on March 16, 2022, 11:43:19 PM
That's some slamming ERC for sure!!  Nice score.
I hope they turn out a lot of good boards.  At least from the picture I don't see any major heart rot.
Well, since I managed to not blow up my battery this time, I managed to load all the rest of the cherry logs from my friend's yard.  Some of this has shake just like the great big log had, but mostly just the log just above that big one.  There will be some nice stuff here I think and some nice figure from forks.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I am still sawing full speed trying to finish this job before next week's scheduled "whole house" job. 

993 bf of 1X7 & 1X10 SYP "bee hive" lumber that left this morning.

In addition to the bee hive lumber and the 'off camera' 1X4 lathing, this was sawn yesterday and today.  We finished sawing the remainder of the framing lumber this morning.

We have at least 3 more days sawing, about 50 more logs to saw to finish this job.  Probably 25 more SYP logs before we get to the Red and Post Oak.

Magicman

After last night's rain my side support roller was sorta rusty and needed brightening up soooo....

I was very successful taking care if that task in one simple pass.  :-X

Just a variety of different dimensions sawed.

One if three whacks of stickers.  I neither scale nor charge for stickers.

Seven of the probably 40 logs left to saw which is more than I thought yesterday.  Three more days to finish.

I have sawn a total of 17,066 bf in 8 days of sawing averaging 2133 bf per day.  We have rain forecast for next Tuesday so it is really pushing me to complete this job before my next whole house job scheduled start on the 24th. 

I am glad that I slowed down last June.  ::)

Wlmedley

• Nothing to compare with Magicmans stacks but  I'm proud of it.76 12'2"x4"s and I need 34 more.Slow but sure 😄

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Walnut Beast

Looks great Magicman. So is everything getting stacked with green stickers?

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Wlmedley on March 18, 2022, 07:01:32 PM

• Nothing to compare with Magicmans stacks but  I'm proud of it.76 12'2"x4"s and I need 34 more.Slow but sure 😄

Nothing wrong with slow and steady 👍

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on March 18, 2022, 06:45:38 PM
After last night's rain my side support roller was sorta rusty and needed brightening up soooo....

I was very successful taking care if that task in one simple pass.  :-X

Just a variety of different dimensions sawed.

One if three whacks of stickers.  I neither scale nor charge for stickers.

Seven of the probably 40 logs left to saw which is more than I thought yesterday.  Three more days to finish.

I have sawn a total of 17,066 bf in 8 days of sawing averaging 2133 bf per day.  We have rain forecast for next Tuesday so it is really pushing me to complete this job before my next whole house job scheduled start on the 24th.  

I am glad that I slowed down last June.  ::)
How many blades are you using a day on that 2,000 bf a day not hitting anything? Have you tried the carbide blades ? 

Magicman

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 18, 2022, 07:27:36 PMSo is everything getting stacked with green stickers?
Yes.  

Generally 2-3 blades per day.  I have had 4 blades to break, two in the weld.  I have no plans to ever use carbide blades.  It would be difficult to justify the cost of a carbide blade to a nail strike customer.

Southside

That glance on the side support basically counts as a band "de-setter", I removed a good chunk of my clamp a week or so ago, might need to weld that spot back...  :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!